Notices
Western Canada Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | Northwest Territories | Nunavut | Saskatchewan | Yukon Territory

Routes in Banff/Kananaskis

Old 07-15-19, 10:18 AM
jono_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Routes in Banff/Kananaskis

Looking for some local knowledge regarding some cycling routes in Banff and Kananaskis for a trip next week.

I did some road riding in Banff last year (a couple of 100km days, one the Bow Valley Parkway + Mt Norquay climb, the other the Icefields Parkway from Saskatchewan Crossing to the ice fields and back), which I really enjoyed, as I don't get to go up or downhill much where I live. I am camping near the Kananaskis Lakes first, where I plan at the very least to cycle up Highwood Pass, and will be spending a few days after that in Banff NP.

I'd happily do those two rides again, but I will be riding a lightish CX/gravel rig (as I did last year) and was wondering about possibilities for going a bit more off the beaten track. Particularly, Parks Canada lists a bunch of rides as 'MTB' that sound like they'd be fairly rideable on 40mm gravel tires (described as fire road or double track) but that would be good to know in advance. I have similar questions about the Little Elbow/Big Elbow loop in Kananaskis.

https://publications.gc.ca/collection...3-2015-eng.pdf

Other recommendations of road or manageable off-road rides in the area are also welcome.