Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What % of e bike commuters operate in unsafe manner?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What % of e bike commuters operate in unsafe manner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 02:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The ones I've seen in California certainly were not limited to 32kph/20mph. One guy I've seen several times on the ARBT was going over 25mph (40+kph?).

I also wonder about the handling capabilities. Every ebike I've seen has been built on a MTB or cruiser frame, not the nimblest bikes. And it's fair to say that many ebike riders have little experience handling a bike at the speeds they're capable of.
Old 03-02-17, 02:42 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
OP, Safe? Thats everyone's job. Dog walker not paying attention, I pod zombies, parents of wee ones etc. Too fast or just faster than you? Does your mup have a posted speed limit?
One of my new job responsibilities (as pointed out earlier) is to be more aware of e bike users so i don't get creamed by one. I know too fast when I see it. I've learned not to go too fast on MUPs. I think some e bike users have not yet experienced what happens when you go too fast. I hope no one gets hurt when they learn how fast is too fast.

Are you suggesting that if there is no posted speed limit, there is no unsafe speed?
Old 03-02-17, 02:47 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I like Jrickards idea of a 12mph limit. All motors off at 12. That seems a pretty safe speed but not much fun. With such safety limits, only people who really need electric assist would buy one.
Old 03-02-17, 03:02 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I like Jrickards idea of a 12mph limit. All motors off at 12. That seems a pretty safe speed but not much fun. With such safety limits, only people who really need electric assist would buy one.
Why not place that restriction on all bicycles since the they can all exceed that speed easily. Might as well ban all wheeled vehicles from MUT's. Or better yet, let's ban all use entirely other than looking at them from behind safety barracades....If it saves one life or delicate sensibilitie, it's worth it.

The lack of critical thinking is astounding.

Last edited by kickstart; 03-02-17 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 03:02 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
One of my new job responsibilities (as pointed out earlier) is to be more aware of e bike users so i don't get creamed by one. I know too fast when I see it. I've learned not to go too fast on MUPs. I think some e bike users have not yet experienced what happens when you go too fast. I hope no one gets hurt when they learn how fast is too fast.

Are you suggesting that if there is no posted speed limit, there is no unsafe speed?
On my mup in the Boston area, sometimes the roadie types will be going 20-25 mph, but usually not during the commute times when I am using it. I find that usually speed is self limiting, bike traffic, peds, I pod zombies, kids and dogs etc. all help to keep things sane and orderly, for the most part. Speeds I'm guessing 10-16? mph.
Old 03-02-17, 03:04 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I like the EU new standard that is supposed to be coming soon, the faster you go the less assist you get, and at 32Km/Hr you get none... That totally eliminates any abuse of the E-powered bicycle, and makes it a "real bicycle" but allows people to ride who wouldn't/couldn't, without the assist...

As for the % of people who operate E-Bikes in an unsafe manner, probably the same as any other type of conveyance...
Old 03-02-17, 03:06 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If they want to go faster, they could buy a motorbike.

I'm considering a pedal-assist for my wife so that we can go on bike tours together. It would allow us to go the distances that I am capable of doing but at an effort she is capable of doing. I saw a series of videos on YouTube of a couple (who are about our age, early- to mid-fifties who are doing tours in SE Asia, both with ebikes).
Old 03-02-17, 03:15 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
As I see it, I don't think the laws have really addressed them. They can be used like a bike (pedalled, with or without electric assist) and, in North America, they have a throttle like a motorbike (gas- or electric-powered). There are styles that look like bicycles and there are styles that look like scooters. Unlike bicycles, they can easily be ridden at up to 20mph/32kph by anyone of any level of fitness which means that they are faster than most cyclists, especially commuters with heavier bikes and heavier loads. Unlike motorbikes, they cannot be ridden faster than 20mph/32kph so they cannot keep up with traffic most of the time so if they took the lane all of the time, they would slow that lane.

Unlike operators of "real" motorized vehicles, for which there is licencing and training involved, anyone (including those who have had their licences suspended because of DUI, now you know why there are so many parked outside bars) can buy and operate ebikes: just buy the ebike and a helmet (in Ontario, there is no option for adults not to use helmets, unlike bicycles) and off you go.

The laws have addresses some aspects of ebikes: they must have pedals (even the scooter-style ones), they are limited to 20mph/32kph and the operator must wear a helmet (there may be specific helmet rules too but I'm not aware of them) but (as far as I know) the laws in Ontario have not addressed whether or not they can use cycling infrastructure. (I've seen one fellow a couple of times, riding on the boulevard!) Our city has recently amended a bylaw to allow cycling on certain specified boulevards, the idea behind this is to help the city's road department more quickly develop cycling infrastructure by taking existing wide boulevards or modifying existing boulevards to bike-lane width and making them official cycling infrastructure. Unless ebikes are forbidden in law or bylaw from using cycling infrastructure, then we may see them on these boulevards, potentially travelling at 32kph beside pedestrians. We really only have a couple of MUPs in town but would an ebike be allowed on these with cyclists, pedestrians, children and dog walkers?

Personally, I would like to see throttle controlled ebikes modified as follows: no pedals (apparently, the ones installed are a joke anyway and if you make a moderately leaned turn, you could hit the pedal on the ground thereby losing control), licenced (both the bike and the user), forbidden from using cycling infrastructure. Or, like Europe, forbidden for sale. Secondly, I would like to see pedal-assist ebikes: limited to 12mph/20kph (which I think is plenty fast for a commuter or casual rider), allowed for use on cycling infrastructure and helmets required for all ages (given that a casual cyclist might only be able to cycle at 10-15kph under their own power, pedal-assist ebikes would enable them to travel faster than their fitness would otherwise enable them to do).

In this scenario, I would be comfortable sharing the cycling infrastructure with pedal-assist ebikes and the road with throttled ebikes.
I think you should actually ride a class 1 or class 2 E-bike before attempting to form an opinion about how they should work.

For a given wattage, the only difference between PAS and throttle is the throttle will be slower and have a shorter range.

Last edited by kickstart; 03-02-17 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 03:35 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
If they want to go faster, they could buy a motorbike.

I'm considering a pedal-assist for my wife so that we can go on bike tours together. It would allow us to go the distances that I am capable of doing but at an effort she is capable of doing. I saw a series of videos on YouTube of a couple (who are about our age, early- to mid-fifties who are doing tours in SE Asia, both with ebikes).
Since you're just out for a ride, why don't you just slow down or increase your resistance with a heavier bike (i.e., carrying more of the gear) and more substantial tires, rather than investing a lot of cash in a motorized bike? Seems like the logical choice.
Old 03-02-17, 03:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
The laws around e-bikes in NYC are complex, inconsistent, and incomprehensible. Many believe they are entirely illegal, which they are not.

I can't think of a solution on the MUPs. I think a speed limit of 20 mph might work, but that's pretty fast, and there are times when it's too fast. E-bikes can go a lot faster than that.

In the streets, I'm fine with e-bikes in the regular traffic lanes and in the bike lanes.

We really should sort this out, because the last couple of years have portended a big increase in their use. I think that would be a good thing, but let's get the laws straightened out. Mopeds came into NYC in about 1975, and they were unregulated until they were regulated. First, there were too many of them, with kids driving them recklessly. Then they were gone, which was also a shame.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-02-17, 04:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
I like the EU new standard that is supposed to be coming soon, the faster you go the less assist you get, and at 32Km/Hr you get none... That totally eliminates any abuse of the E-powered bicycle, and makes it a "real bicycle" but allows people to ride who wouldn't/couldn't, without the assist...

+1,

A power assist bicycle that is still essentially a bicycle should be (not) regulated as a bicycle. Phased out assistance that keeps the speeds in the same range as regular bicycles makes sense, and IMO meets the "duck" test.

I think there may also be room to create a new category of "light motorcycles" that could be regulated the way mopeds were in the past in some states, namely that the vehicle must be registered and have a plate, but the operator doesn't need a license, or if he does, then only one comparable to a learner's permit, granted on application without a road test.

In thinking about e-bike regulation, we need to think, not about the bikes, but about what's best for the community, namely better transportation options, with, hopefully, people trading cars for light transport.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-02-17 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 04:21 PM
alan s 

500 watts and capable of 28 mph is right up there with the pro peleton. Doesn't pass the smell test.

BionX D-500 DV, 700C/29? wheel, rim or disc brakes - Electric Cyclery
Old 03-02-17, 04:28 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I operate my ebike the same as i operate my road bike. "Safety" doesn't change based on the bike I ride. Same goes for my Honda and Toyota.
Old 03-02-17, 04:32 PM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alan s
500 watts and capable of 28 mph is right up there with the pro peleton. Doesn't pass the smell test.

Wow, $2500 for just the wheel and battery. That begs the question: If there are different classes of electric conversion kits and no clear markings on the bike of what class of kit it has installed, how will the law be enforced? Are police supposed to keep a list of different conversion kits and their capabilities?
Old 03-02-17, 04:33 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Originally Posted by noglider
The laws around e-bikes in NYC are complex, inconsistent, and incomprehensible. Many believe they are entirely illegal, which they are not.

I can't think of a solution on the MUPs. I think a speed limit of 20 mph might work, but that's pretty fast, and there are times when it's too fast. E-bikes can go a lot faster than that.

In the streets, I'm fine with e-bikes in the regular traffic lanes and in the bike lanes.

We really should sort this out, because the last couple of years have portended a big increase in their use. I think that would be a good thing, but let's get the laws straightened out. Mopeds came into NYC in about 1975, and they were unregulated until they were regulated. First, there were too many of them, with kids driving them recklessly. Then they were gone, which was also a shame.
Actually I can go faster on my road bike than I can go on my ebike. Ebike cuts off assistance at 20mph, after that it's all me pushing an 80 lbs bike. I top out at about 22mph for about 300 yards.
Old 03-02-17, 04:36 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

That's a class 3 speed E- moped setup.

By legal definition:

Class 1, 750w, & 20 mph max, Pas only. = E-assist bicycle
Class 2, 750w & 20 mph max, pas & throttle. = E-assist bicycle

Class 3, 28 mph max pas and/or throttle. =. E-moped.
Old 03-02-17, 04:44 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by kickstart
That's a class 3 speed E- moped setup.

By legal definition:

Class 1, 750w, & 20 mph max, Pas only. = E-assist bicycle
Class 2, 750w & 20 mph max, pas & throttle. = E-assist bicycle

Class 3, 28 mph max pas and/or throttle. =. E-moped.
Yup. Basically a 1 horsepower motor strapped to a bike. As they say, "neck-snapping acceleration."

Last edited by alan s; 03-02-17 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 04:47 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RunForTheHills
Wow, $2500 for just the wheel and battery. That begs the question: If there are different classes of electric conversion kits and no clear markings on the bike of what class of kit it has installed, how will the law be enforced? Are police supposed to keep a list of different conversion kits and their capabilities?
In Europe they must have a certification label.
Old 03-02-17, 04:51 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yup. Basically a 1 horsepower motor strapped to a bike. As they say, "neck-snapping acceleration."
Lol, maybe if ones neck is 4' long, and 1" in diameter....
Old 03-02-17, 04:54 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by RunForTheHills
Some people like to use an iPhone others get by with $100 Xiaomi... Same is true in the ebike world.

My bionx still only goes 20mph. I pay for the warranty, reliability, and smooth performance.. I don't get any more speed for the money.
Old 03-02-17, 04:54 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
Actually I can go faster on my road bike than I can go on my ebike. Ebike cuts off assistance at 20mph, after that it's all me pushing an 80 lbs bike. I top out at about 22mph for about 300 yards.
Yup, my E-bike maxes out at 30 mph down a long steep hill that I can hit 40 mph on my Dutch bike.
Old 03-02-17, 04:56 PM
alan s 

Coming to a bike path near you soon.
Old 03-02-17, 05:04 PM
InTheRain

Alan s, have you ridden an ebike? Specifically the bionx that you linked to? They are so fun to ride and they handle like a bicycle. Give it a spin, I think you'll see why people enjoy commuting on them - even a guy like me that commuted on touring and road bikes for years.

I operate my ebike just as safely as my road bike... the rules and guidelines apply to both.
Old 03-02-17, 07:26 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Part of the discussion might be as to what is an e-bike. Is it this
https://www.publicbikes.com/site/imag...0&resizew=1800

Or this
https://ep.yimg.com/ay/scootercatalog...battery-67.jpg

When I think of an e-bike I think of the first one. How many think of the second one?
Old 03-02-17, 07:58 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I suspect, most people who think E-Bikes in the N American sense, are "mopeds"... Are only 1/2 wrong...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.