Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Joeblow pro fix air leak and gauge

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-24-18, 04:21 PM
Franchute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, just want to share some of my experience fixing this beautiful pump, sorry about my english (not my main language) I will try my best to describe things
I just bought a used JowBlow Pro that was too cheap to let it pass. I knew it might have some issues so I got anyway and tried it at home. The cylinder was a little rough but worked good. The head is in tip top shape. The pump had a small air leak where the top part and the cylinder meet and the gauge was off by 15 pounds or so. So I decided to take ir apart and fix it. I searched a lot on the web and found little info and no manual for this very nice looking pump. I live in Bolivia so getting new parts from the US was a no.
First took the handle off by unscrewing the plastic piece under the handle. Take the cylinder off, clean the rubber o ring, re lube with grease and put it back on. The travel is now nice and smooth.
Next, see those tiny allen screws, yes those, just don't take them off. These are not holding nothing together, I took them off and after inspecting them just put them back on with some grey silicone.
After you take the handle off the main head with the gauge is free to be lifted. There is a small piece of plastic that has two very tiny o rings at the top of the second thin pump cylinder, thats where the small air leak is when you attach the head to a tire and pump air, I guess the small o rings are just worn or stretched and don't make a good seal. After thinking a lot decided to use some PTFE teflon tape around the small or rings so now the seal is tight and there is no leak! Be careful to not cover the tiny hole in this part with the teflon tape.
Now the tough part, the Gauge, if you can get a new gauge delivered to your door, just do it and replace the faulty one. I can't so had to fix it. I used another pump with a good working gauge and put 30 pounds on my bike tire. After that I plugged the JoeBlow Pro and the gauge marked 15 so I took the small plastic ring on the gauge prying it gently with a flat screwdriver. After that used a vey sharp knife to take the plastic cover off. With the hose attached to the tire I hold the silver vertical pin using a small pliers and with my two fingers gently turn the red needle until the needle was on 30. Had to do it a few times until I got the reading I knew was correct. Then just put the plastic clear cover and black ring back on and popped a cold one from the fridge. Very happy with the pump so far. I forgot to take pictures but the pump was very easy to take it apart.

Hope this will help others.