Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Flat Resistant Tires

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Flat Resistant Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 03:57 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
Think about this: if the filler is at the bottom is is pointed up so that the sealant can always drain out. At any other position it can get filled with sealant that drips from the top of the tire onto the inside of the rim and drips around the rim.

New wheels are high tension low spoke count rims. I paid less for a set of cyclocross wheels than I would for a single tubeless rim. Where do figure on buying correctly cut spokes these days? "Good 2nd hand hubs" mostly aren't. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-...0AAOSwridaAKpj) Why would you build a wheel yourself using 105 hubs? Or Centaur?

I can build an old 36 or 32 spoke count wheel in a half hour but why should I when I can get a lower end Campy or Fulcrum wheel so cheaply?

If you want to run racing tires and not get flats you could always opt for sealant filled tubes and have exactly the same problems you would have with a tubeless tire.

If you get an effective flat resistant tire such as the Gatorskin you have fewer problems (you don't have to worry where the stem is) and you very seldom get flats. With Gatorskins in five years I've had less than a dozen flats. With the supposedly flat resistant Michelin Power Endurance I had worse riding characteristics and 3 flat in two months. And they were all with glass shards that I'm pretty sure wouldn't have given me a flat on the Continentals.
it's all about speed and comfort.... that's why people use tyres such as Specialized Turbo Cotton ...

however .... if you cannot be fussed with changing a tube on the rare occasions that you do get a puncture (it takes a few minutes), and if you are not bothered about speed or comfort, get Schwalbe Marathon Plus
Old 11-14-17, 07:01 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
That must be it. Tires do not wear in a linear manner with additional weight.
Not sure where you heard this but I have taken a few courses on crash reconstruction that would certainly disagree with that statement.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-14-17, 07:48 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
IMG_2426.jpg
I'm sticking with the Schwalbe One. Rode this one for 32 miles, pulled the staple out at the end of the ride, and it sealed right up. 5 flats in 7 years. Flat resistance is only one of the attributes of tubeless tires.
Old 11-14-17, 09:46 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John_V
Not sure where you heard this but I have taken a few courses on crash reconstruction that would certainly disagree with that statement.
And I most certainly don't know what you think you heard but tires wear dramatically faster with heavier riders. You can see it here for crying out loud - someone says that they weigh 150 lbs and get 10,000 miles on a tire and someone 180 lbs gets 2,500 miles on the same tire.
Old 11-14-17, 10:26 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
filler valve should not be on the bottom when you store the bike as the liquid sealant lays on the bottom and can cause gunk to go into the valve (That's what I read on another forum) .... not sure if it's true though ....

while you are riding, it makes no difference where the valve is positioned when you stop

A new wheelset (tubeless ready) can be built for cheap, especially if you use good 2nd hand hubs .... Some good tubeless ready rims are very cheap
Originally Posted by asmac
Say what?

Not my experience as I have been using my old Dyad rims with no problem. And there is no need to worry about the valve position. That would be tedious.
I've been on tubeless tires for 7 years, valve position is inconsequential. I would not suggest any type of conversion on a road rim though. Use a tubeless rim and tubeless tire.
Old 11-14-17, 04:28 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pickettt
I would not suggest any type of conversion on a road rim though. Use a tubeless rim and tubeless tire.
I'm sure that a tubeless rim is preferable but, except for needing a blast of air to initially seat the tire, I've had no problem at all using a tubeless ready tire and my old rim.
Old 11-14-17, 07:55 PM
John_V 

And I most certainly don't know what you think you heard but tires wear dramatically faster with heavier riders. You can see it here for crying out loud - someone says that they weigh 150 lbs and get 10,000 miles on a tire and someone 180 lbs gets 2,500 miles on the same tire.
Not sure what you’re reading but I originally posted that I get around 10,000 miles on a set of tires. You responded that you were surprised that I get that much use out of the tires and posted the type of riding and the roads you ride on. I responded about the roads I ride on and the fact that my 153 pound weight probably helps with the the longevity of the tires. You responded that tires do not wear in a linear manner with extra weight. I responded that I disagreed. Now you’re agreeing with me.
Old 11-15-17, 08:54 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John_V
Not sure what you’re reading but I originally posted that I get around 10,000 miles on a set of tires. You responded that you were surprised that I get that much use out of the tires and posted the type of riding and the roads you ride on. I responded about the roads I ride on and the fact that my 153 pound weight probably helps with the the longevity of the tires. You responded that tires do not wear in a linear manner with extra weight. I responded that I disagreed. Now you’re agreeing with me.
Me: "Tires do not wear in a linear manner with additional weight."
You: "Not sure where you heard this but I have taken a few courses on crash reconstruction that would certainly disagree with that statement."

Did I somehow misunderstand you? Or perhaps you miswrote?
Old 11-16-17, 12:31 PM
John_V 

Me: "Tires do not wear in a linear manner with additional weight."
You: "Not sure where you heard this but I have taken a few courses on crash reconstruction that would certainly disagree with that statement."

Did I somehow misunderstand you? Or perhaps you miswrote?
Could be a misunderstanding on both our parts. My stand on this is that tires do wear faster as rider weight increases.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-16-17, 07:53 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had just one flat with Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires . They area not cheap, but considering I have a bit over 13,000 miles on them , IMO they are worth the cost .
Old 11-20-17, 09:03 AM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I did another 75 milers yesterday. I used the Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra which has the Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires on it and again I almost instantly noticed that they roll a LOT better than the Power Endurance Michelin's I have on the Pinarello Stelvio. And the Power Endurance roll similar to a Gatorskin but just a bit stickier.
Old 09-20-18, 03:16 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My 28mm Gator Hardshells went 5k miles with only 1 flat in the rear, none in the front. Actually, they started delaminating around the bead. Just swapped them for 25mm with about 500 trouble free miles so far. Also I've been running them at 120 psi and they do love a smooth road. They feel so good in fact I regret not going to the 23mm.

Last edited by slorollin; 09-20-18 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 07:08 PM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with Serfas Secas. They feel a little more compliant than gatorskins and I haven't had one flat on me yet. They're pretty reasonably priced, too. I commute through the city and have to ride through broken glass almost daily.

I like that the gatorskins are a little wider on my 27" rims.
Old 09-20-18, 09:34 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
The most flat resistant tire I have used is the panaracer ribmo.

It rides like a wood wagon wheel, and wet grip is close to non-existent.

They do wear like iron though, sold that bike, I bet those tires are still in use somewhere.

I prefer tires that are more supple, how anyone can ride on flat proof tires for thousands of KM and enjoy it is beyond my comprehension, all of the rental bikes here use solid rubber tires, with truly soul crushing ride quality.
Old 09-21-18, 10:47 AM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Are Continental 4 season good on rough bike trails. Cold weather is coming and who wants to fix a flat in freezing temps.
I'm debating between leaving the tubeless tires on and carrying tire plugs or switching to the Continentals and running tubes since the tires are much more puncture resistant than what I have right now. Continental make good tires but so slow to implement tubeless tech into their road tires.
Old 09-21-18, 11:26 AM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Used Gatorskins for years riding locally with few flats. Used them on my first bike tour and had 7 flats in 13 days, including one horrible day outside Phoenix with 3 flats in about 20 miles.

For touring, I've switched to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and have had 1 flat in almost 5000 miles. I have a set on my road bike but I'm thinking of switching to Schwalbe Durano Plus tires. Anyone have any experience with this tire?
Old 09-21-18, 12:01 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
I've used Serfas Seca tires (puncture-resistant model), too, and they seem to be very flat resistant. 700 x 28 tires; I don't like using anything narrower than a 28 for comfort purposes.
I also use Vittoria Randonnuers (700 x 32 or 35) on a light touring bicycle, and haven't had any excessive punctures with them, and that includes riding on some pretty trashy roads.

Note about Vittoria tires: I've found they are quite 'rim-sensitive'; they're easy to get on/off of some rims, but almost impossible to get on/off on other brands of rims. This has occured more frequently with their narrower tires (23-25s). If you do by a Vittoria brand tire check that it will work on your rim before going out on the road with them - its a PITA to deal with a tightly fitting tire while sitting on the curb with traffic streaming by.
Old 09-21-18, 02:31 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Bang for the buck I go with the Gatorskins $35. First set I used I got 8k miles out of a set w/o a flat.

Had to replace the rear Amardillo $55 after less than 1K.
Old 09-21-18, 02:38 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Which Gatorskins, aren't there several different kinds of them? I'm looking for protection all the way around the tire if possible. I can't get my preferred tire so I thought I would try these. Unfortunately, they're out of stock almost everywhere in the size I want (25s).
Old 09-21-18, 05:17 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Which Gatorskins, aren't there several different kinds of them? I'm looking for protection all the way around the tire if possible. I can't get my preferred tire so I thought I would try these. Unfortunately, they're out of stock almost everywhere in the size I want (25s).
I've used these w/o any issues. In stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-G...S1X&th=1&psc=1
Old 09-21-18, 05:33 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks. Just to clarify, there are 3 different kinds of Continental Gatorskin tires? a.) Regular, b.) Hardshell, and c.) Duraskin? Anyone know what the differences between them are? I find this very confusing, if there was only one freakin' kind I would have bought some by now.