Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Blood pressure question

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Blood pressure question

Old 10-18-18, 08:39 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
with your history, I'd suspect white coat syndrome. You're worried about your blood pressure, and that anxiety is going to raise your BP. Make sure you sit down and relax for five minutes before you get your BP measured.
I have issues with "white coat syndrome". I bought a home BP cuff, so I can check BP at home, in a more relaxed environment. For a few days before a dr visit, I check my BP at home, a couple times a day, and write those numbers down. Then when I go to the dr, I show him those numbers, and also take my cuff and check it against their reading. Just a suggestion you might want to try.
Old 10-18-18, 12:40 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel

No kidding. I try to reduce salt and very hard to near impossible. Darn BP was 132/97 this morning I can’t get this BP normal I’m back at the general doctor next Wed I’m going to see WTF is going on.
My Mom did it to herself a few years ago. She cooks most of the food for her and Dad, so went on a low-sodium binge for a while, after a time, she got really tired and was frequently dizzy. Doc thought it was weird, given all the sodium in everything else, but she had dangerously low sodium levels.
Old 10-18-18, 04:12 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
My Mom did it to herself a few years ago. She cooks most of the food for her and Dad, so went on a low-sodium binge for a while, after a time, she got really tired and was frequently dizzy. Doc thought it was weird, given all the sodium in everything else, but she had dangerously low sodium levels.
Yeah, its virtually impossible to be sodium deficient in western society. Sounds like it could have been a water issue?
Old 10-18-18, 08:32 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Yeah, its virtually impossible to be sodium deficient in western society. Sounds like it could have been a water issue?
I agree with you, in general, but it is possible, if you cook from scratch, to control sodium in your cooking. She was very specifically told by a professional doctor that her sodium level was too low.
Old 10-24-18, 06:22 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
people are different
Old 10-24-18, 08:35 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
This probably doesn't help, but, my father, sister, brother, and myself all had excellent blood pressure in to our early 50s. Then, with no lifestyle changes, we all developed high blood pressure and are currently on medications for it.
Old 10-24-18, 09:45 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by steve0257
This probably doesn't help, but, my father, sister, brother, and myself all had excellent blood pressure in to our early 50s. Then, with no lifestyle changes, we all developed high blood pressure and are currently on medications for it.
And that doesn't strike you as strange? Did you tell your doctor this? There's obviously something fishy in Denmark, or should I say MN? Amway, I'd check the water.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-24-18 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 10:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Recent blood work shows my sodium and chloride levels both near the bottom of the acceptable range. We cook everything from scratch. We've had to consciously increase our salt intake to ameliorate night cramps. Looks like we should increase it some more. I'd say its easy for natural foods plant eaters to go off the bottom of the range.
Old 10-25-18, 03:14 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
while we are on the subject does anyone know of a good home bp monitor? Are the wrist monitors any good?
Old 10-26-18, 11:20 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
while we are on the subject does anyone know of a good home bp monitor? Are the wrist monitors any good?
Omron, I have used both the wrist and the upper arm models, no problems. They are coming out with a smart watch type BP checker but they are waiting for FDA approval before releasing it.