Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Winter Overshoes How Effective ??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 06:21 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

I cycled through all of last winter and 70% of the time my piggies were fine but you always remember those colder days when they're really not especially if there's a bit of wind.

How effective are overshoes and do you just need toe ones like this
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giro-Ambien...over_94019.htm

Or is a fuller one that covers the whole foot that much better ....... although it seems it's mainly just my toes that seem to get really cold.
Old 12-05-18, 07:00 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've used toe covers but only use shoe covers now- they are very nice. Always wear 40˚s & below, &<50˚+wet.

Comfy & keep the road grit & much of the water at bay. Feet don't overheat much so even if it warms up it's OK.

Mostly use ones with coated fabric & thin fleece lining, but also neoprene for really cold.

Hi-Vis FTW if you can find them (get a clue vendors- shoe covers= winter= low visibility & you only make black???)
Old 12-05-18, 07:09 PM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
I used some like this fora few years.

Louis Garneau Neo Protect 2 Insulated Neoprene Cycling Shoe Covers, Bright Yellow, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T09M2TE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kuhcCbMBRKYPF

I like them. They're warmer than no covers and help block some wind water. I still felt like i was getting a draft around the cleats on my cycling shoes so i put a layer of duck tape under the inner sole. That helped a lot.
Old 12-05-18, 07:10 PM
glenncz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It depends on what your definition of winter is. I have the forefoot ones and they definitely work and are worth the money. But after about 45-60 my toes/feet get cold anyway. I got a pair of overshoes and i've worn them on a few short <30F (didn't bother taking toe neoprene off) and I'm glad I got them. I think both are a necessity for riding in cold weather.
Old 12-05-18, 07:25 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Guess you only need 70% of your toes? I wear winter boots in, wait for it, winter. Covers on your vented summer shoes? Hmmm. My winters tend to be 20F for a low with lots of snow. Some get " less" winter. Cheers.
Old 12-05-18, 09:29 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
They work fine for me down to about 15deg.
Old 12-05-18, 09:58 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Toe covers are not going to do the job when it gets real cold. Full overshoes are needed below 40°F.

@Witterings, you are in England? If so then look at GripGrab. They are available through Wiggle.

https://www.gripgrab.com/collections/shoe-covers.

The Race Thermo is going to be a great all around shoe cover. The Arctic is going to be their warmest.

-Tim-
Old 12-06-18, 03:07 AM
Witterings

Do agree that the high vis ones are good, there was a thread I saw about a year ago that said any high vis on your pedals is great for being seen due to the movement and recently was in the car and saw someone wearing some in the distance and you didn't half notice them in the distance so great for visibility .... has always made me wonder why there are so many black cycling jackets.

Cheers for all the input and will take a look at the links / wiggle as well but some full ones are definitely going on the Xmas list
Old 12-06-18, 06:23 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I'll use toe covers down to upper 30's (F), maybe a bit colder. If the temperature drops lower than that, I've got PI Barrier full shoe covers I pull on (usually just leave the toe covers on, too). I've gone into the 20's and even upper teens and my feet have been comfortable.
Old 12-06-18, 06:25 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
They're fairly effective...just a kludge and inconvenient compared to winter rated cycling shoes/boots....the later of which can be much warmer depending on what you own.
Old 12-06-18, 06:52 AM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
When you said overshoes I was thinking you meant something like these. They work jut fine on block pedals.

Repel Footwear? 5-Buckle Rubber Overshoes #7941 at Galeton
Old 12-06-18, 07:27 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
full shoe covers are better than toe covers, My feet get cold

I've tried everything you can think of including fully wrapping a pair of shoes in duct tape (worked ok), wrapping my toes in aluminum foil (also ok)

this product below is used inside the shoe and works great. When coupled with a full shoe cover, this is a winning combo

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Sockee-Ne.../dp/B076BBGCWG
Old 12-06-18, 07:39 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I find them pretty effective but I have to admit that, thus far, I've tended not to cycle when the temperature gets really low. I have some Altura full foot ones, very old now, that feel as if they're made of neoprene or something similar. I tend to also wear them if I think it's going to rain as they do keep your feet nice and dry until it gets really extreme (when the water will run down inside). I'm sure proper winter boots are better but I can't afford them. This is a nice cheap alternative.
Old 12-06-18, 08:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have polyester shoe covers for wet and moderately cold and thicker neoprene Louis Garneau for colder weather, typically mid-20's or below..The downside is they are designed for clipless so they have gaps at the bottom, but other than that they're effective for straight up cold weather. Freezing rain and snow is a different story.

For under about 15° it's not really enough and I need to add another layer of some sort.
Old 12-06-18, 08:33 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts
It sounds like you want something for cleated shoes, so these probably aren't for you, but I decided to try these: https://www.amazon.com/Shoes-Boots-C...covers+sharbay since my Louis Garneau Neos are on their last legs. Santa's bringing them for Christmas.

I don't have clipless pedals on my winter commuting bike. This kind of overshoe/boot seemed like it would be a better barrier for wet winter slop. I'll keep the neoprene shoe covers, as ratty as they are, for an extra insulating layer for when it gets really cold.

I have used my cycling shoes, with duck tape under inner sole, two layers of socks, with neoprene shoe covers down to the 10-15 F range for about an hour at a time. It worked in that I didn't lose any toes to frost bite. My feet were definitely cold though, when I got to work.
Old 12-06-18, 08:37 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Someone find my unicorn, then. I need covers that:
  • fit MTB shoes
  • fit size US14/EU48* -- basically, the biggest size any company makes, and needs to say it fits a minimum of a US14
  • are not excessively insulated, because this is SoCal
  • preferably aren't $100, because again this is SoCal (and they'll get worn 15 times a year)
Velotoze is out. Pearl Izumi barely fit my Diadoras, there's no way they'll ever fit over my Giros, which are shaped more like normal shoes. I've literally found pairs that the biggest the company makes fits up to a US11.5. Seriously?

Thought I had gotten lucky with the Endura MT500 II, only to discover they're apparently discontinued-- the internet still has some S and M covers left. Doubts as to whether the XXL every existed.

*I know I wear a US14, I can see my street shoes from where I'm sitting. One pair says US14/EU47 on the inside, and I've other pairs of bike shoes (like Shimano) that say EU48/US12.5. Wouldn't it be great if sizing was based on some sort of standardized system?
Old 12-06-18, 08:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Someone find my unicorn, then.

*I know I wear a US14, I can see my street shoes from where I'm sitting. One pair says US14/EU47 on the inside, and I've other pairs of bike shoes (like Shimano) that say EU48/US12.5. Wouldn't it be great if sizing was based on some sort of standardized system?
Yours and mine.

And yes, some sort of standardized system would be nice. I have MTB shoes for touring. My sneaker/dress shoe size is a US12. My MTB shoes have always been EU48.
Old 12-06-18, 08:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Very effective for me. Endura toe covers and Pearl Izumi full shoe covers.

My Scott Road Pro shoes are snug, no room for double thin socks or single pair of thick socks. Cuts off circulation to my toes even in warm weather.

All I can do inside the shoe was:
  • Substitute Profoot Miracle insoles for the original insoles. More comfortable, much lighter, no vents so it partially blocks the sole vent.
  • Aluminum foil liner between insole and bottom of shoe.
  • Thin plastic baggie over my socks. The small sandwich or snack size works. Doesn't get sweaty.

That's for the road bike. I use platform pedals on the hybrids and switch to whatever shoes or boots are appropriate for the weather.
Old 12-06-18, 09:30 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by clengman
It sounds like you want something for cleated shoes, so these probably aren't for you, but I decided to try these: https://www.amazon.com/Shoes-Boots-C...covers+sharbay since my Louis Garneau Neos are on their last legs. Santa's bringing them for Christmas.
I don't have cleats just normal pedals so something like that could I .... I wear walking boots but they're the more "fashionable" rather than really heavy ones, I have been looking for the Louis Garneau ones but they out of stock in most places over here at the moment ./... maybe everybody's had that winter rush for them .... although it hasn't really been that cold yet.
Old 12-06-18, 09:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I cycled through all of last winter and 70% of the time my piggies were fine but you always remember those colder days when they're really not especially if there's a bit of wind.

How effective are overshoes and do you just need toe ones like this
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giro-Ambien...over_94019.htm

Or is a fuller one that covers the whole foot that much better ....... although it seems it's mainly just my toes that seem to get really cold.
I tried toe covers long ago and never liked them. I used full neoprene (3mm) shoe covers for a number of years to good effect. The key is to not try and use your summer shoes for winter. You need more insulation than thin summer socks and a thick sock won’t fit as well in summer shoes. The result is cold toes due to constriction. The solution is to get a shoe for winter that is a size or two larger and use full neoprene covers.

That said, winter boots are really the solution. I have Lake MXZ 303 for really cold weather (below 20°F) and I just got a pair of Shimano MW5 for warmer winter riding. The Shimano shoes don’t have the low end that the Lakes do but they are pretty comfortable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-06-18, 09:44 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 121 Posts
I have a pair from Planet Bike. Work great with temps in the lower 30`s and upper 20`s. Combined with wool socks.
Below 25 degree`s I might try adding couple of those heat packets to see how they`d work.
Old 12-06-18, 09:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I tried toe covers, and found that wrapping a plastic grocery bag over warm wool socks was (a) warmer than toe covers, and (b) sufficient down to about 20F. Below that, full shoe covers are the way to go. They've kept my feet warm down to 7F for the 45 minute commute.

Since <20F describes no more than 5-10 of my commuting days a year, I've stuck with shoe covers. If I lived 100 miles north, I'd buy winter shoes. But for the usage I'd get out of them, I can't justify the price.
Old 12-06-18, 10:14 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Someone find my unicorn, then. I need covers that:
  • fit MTB shoes
  • fit size US14/EU48* -- basically, the biggest size any company makes, and needs to say it fits a minimum of a US14
  • are not excessively insulated, because this is SoCal
  • preferably aren't $100, because again this is SoCal (and they'll get worn 15 times a year)
Velotoze is out. Pearl Izumi barely fit my Diadoras, there's no way they'll ever fit over my Giros, which are shaped more like normal shoes. I've literally found pairs that the biggest the company makes fits up to a US11.5. Seriously?

Thought I had gotten lucky with the Endura MT500 II, only to discover they're apparently discontinued-- the internet still has some S and M covers left. Doubts as to whether the XXL every existed.

Aero Tech might do the trick- large sizes & run big as well, according to reviews.
Old 12-06-18, 10:27 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by cyccommute
You need more insulation than thin summer socks and a thick sock won’t fit as well in summer shoes. The result is cold toes due to constriction. The solution is to get a shoe for winter that is a size or two larger and use full neoprene covers.
That said, winter boots are really the solution. I have Lake MXZ 303 for really cold weather (below 20°F) and I just got a pair of Shimano MW5 for warmer winter riding. The Shimano shoes don’t have the low end that the Lakes do but they are pretty comfortable.
I do switch between summer shoes and the boots which are larger in the winter and can easily fit decent wool socks under there, I find these are “OK” in the cold if it’s still but it’s the minute it gets windy they freeze.

I do agree with the comments proper winter shoes are probably the way to go but they’re expensive for a decent pair and I’ve kind of broken the piggy bank recently with a new bike that’s combined b’day / xmas pressie from everyone … if I now spent another £200/250 on a pair of shoes I think the Mrs would remove parts of my anatomy when I was asleep that I’d rather hang onto
Old 12-06-18, 11:22 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Aero Tech might do the trick- large sizes & run big as well, according to reviews.
About thirty bucks with the first-time order coupon, I'm giving it a try. They also had some full-finger windproof gloves that claim to be XXXL, I'm taking a chance on those as well. Here's hoping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.