Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Advice from Florida Please

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 12-14-18, 07:21 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Maybe too late this year but I want to start wintering in Southern Florida, renting somewhere Jan. Feb. We have friends in West Palm, and Sarasota areas so either side OK. First, I'm aware of the bad reputation cycling in Fla. has so whats your take and the best cycling areas? Also any first hand experience with trusted rental agencies? Any input from the "natives" greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-16-18, 08:54 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I would say quite the opposite about the Tampa to Sarasota area in regard to cycling. I have had excellent times and results in respect to both. Longboat Key and surrounding is an awesome ride. Terra Ceia is amazing.
Look up a group called History Bike Tampa. They do some really cool rides, every other month now. Great way to see and learn some neat stuff about the area as well as a good intro to the bike scene. Downtown Tampa and the Ebor area are VERY bike friendly IME. I also know there are some really good trails a bit more interior. I am sure a few posters will sound off regarding that.
Old 12-16-18, 11:14 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
The Villages in FL has many cycling clubs and is a good area for riding safely as lot less drivers of cars and lots more drives of golf carts and bikes.

Here is one example: Florida Bicycle Association's 2016 Bike Club of the Year! ~ #1 Ranked Cycling Club in BikeJournal.com since 2017!

https://www.slbikeclub.org/content.aspx?sl=1059434340
Old 12-16-18, 12:51 PM
Ald1 

Thanks Guys! Keep it coming. Leanig toward the Clearwater/Tampa area as we have enjoyed going to spring training there in the past.
Old 12-16-18, 04:33 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Gainesville has a large cycling club and there are lots of lightly traveled roads around that area also. Has some hills also. Can be a bit challenging. The villages is full of retirees and they drive crazy sometimes down there. further south around Sebring area is nice and quiet also.
Old 12-17-18, 07:48 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldy1953
Gainesville has a large cycling club and there are lots of lightly traveled roads around that area also. Has some hills also. Can be a bit challenging. The villages is full of retirees and they drive crazy sometimes down there. further south around Sebring area is nice and quiet also.
Yes, I had a few retired drivers get bent out of shape when I was on the road, not the cart/walk/ride, path. The roads are plenty wide enough for drivers and bikes.
Old 12-17-18, 12:35 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
Maybe too late this year but I want to start wintering in Southern Florida, renting somewhere Jan. Feb. We have friends in West Palm, and Sarasota areas so either side OK. First, I'm aware of the bad reputation cycling in Fla. has so whats your take and the best cycling areas? Also any first hand experience with trusted rental agencies? Any input from the "natives" greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Not a native Floridian but I just got back, well last month, from doing the Horrible Hundred in Clermont. Clermont is just SE of the Villages and believe it or not, it is quite hilly there. At least for Florida I guess. Not flat at all and there is quite a variation of hills to flat. Area was close to Orlando but was not totally built up. Very small town but the cycling in this area is really nice. Sugarloaf Mountain, if you can call it that is like the highest point in Florida. That was a very steep climb to the top. I know there is a cycling camp in December that is based out of Clermont so it does appear to be a decent place to cycle. Just as an example, we did 4800 feet of climbing on that century and looking at a bunch of other centuries all over Florida, it is hard to find one that has more than 1000 feet of climbing. So this area is not typical Florida flat.

Anyway, it is close to Tampa and really close to Orlando and as I said, the Villages are just a few clicks away too.

john
Old 12-18-18, 02:57 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I was rather surprised that RonH hasn't sounded off in this thread yet. I checked to see whether he was posting and his last was back in Nov. around Tgiving. Hope he is well.
Old 12-19-18, 02:09 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
As mentioned, very nice Florida riding north of Rt. 4. Sugarloaf front and back as repeats = a great workout. Things can be somewhat flat (boring) below. My ride yesterday .....

https://www.relive.cc/view/2024007367

slow but enjoyable

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 12-19-18 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-19-18, 03:38 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
First, the difference between Florida's east/west coast is night and day. Second, its a big state. There are people all over who cycle just fine all year long and all their lives without any serious issues.

I personally would avoid high-speed rural roads which can be dangerous no matter where you live. The many coastal paths and trails -- i.e. state parks -- in the state are you best bet. Although mountain bike train in Florida sounds like an oxymoron.

For the record, Florida has the most pleasant weather in the U.S. including Hawaii, this time of year.

Last edited by KraneXL; 12-19-18 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-19-18, 04:51 AM
Ald1 

Thanks. Found a possiby rental in Dunedin. Trails look great. Your take on the night/day difference in east/west coast?
Old 12-19-18, 09:32 PM
KraneXL

Thanks. Found a possiby rental in Dunedin. Trails look great. Your take on the night/day difference in east/west coast?
Basically development. The largest cities and most dense populations in the state are dispersed along the east coast. But there's also a noticeable environmental difference between the feel of the Atlantic coast as compared to the Gulf coast.

The Gulf coast has white sandy beaches with abundant native flora and fauna and dune from a Florida of yore. It more like something you would have seen had you visited the state hundreds or thousands of years ago. Or at least the closest you can get to that unspoiled experience.

Those two unique aspects are some of Florida's greatest asset. It also has the most coastline of any state in the contiguous U.S.
Old 12-21-18, 05:13 AM
Ald1 

Thanks KraneXL,
My thoughts too. Always enjoyed the Gulf side a bit more than the Atlantic but as you said they offer unique aspects and I'll add experiences.
Old 12-23-18, 01:32 PM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I live in St. Petersburg about 20 miles south of Dunedin. My usual haunt is the "Pinellas Trail." (Pinellas is our county and the Pinellas Trail is currently 38 miles long.) I'll attach a link with a map and you'll notice it goes right through Dunedin. From there, you can ride it south all the way to St. Petersburg or, north around Lake Tarpon. Although the map ends on the east side of Lake Tarpon, you can continue on a riding path all the way back to Palm Harbor. Several beautiful parks off the trail, as well. In my experience, Florida is a great state to ride in.

Oh... in my experience the difference between the east coast and west coast is... the east coast is like New York City and the west coast is like Mineral Wells, TX!

Pinellas Trail - Maplets
Old 12-23-18, 02:53 PM
KraneXL

Thanks KraneXL,
My thoughts too. Always enjoyed the Gulf side a bit more than the Atlantic but as you said they offer unique aspects and I'll add experiences.
In the vernacular of the state's founders:

Soy a sus órdenes***
Old 12-24-18, 07:04 AM
Ald1 

Originally Posted by DrDyno
I live in St. Petersburg about 20 miles south of Dunedin. My usual haunt is the "Pinellas Trail." (Pinellas is our county and the Pinellas Trail is currently 38 miles long.) I'll attach a link with a map and you'll notice it goes right through Dunedin. From there, you can ride it south all the way to St. Petersburg or, north around Lake Tarpon. Although the map ends on the east side of Lake Tarpon, you can continue on a riding path all the way back to Palm Harbor. Several beautiful parks off the trail, as well. In my experience, Florida is a great state to ride in.

Oh... in my experience the difference between the east coast and west coast is... the east coast is like New York City and the west coast is like Mineral Wells, TX!

Pinellas Trail - Maplets
Can you get a good workout riding the trails? I.E. keep a good pace with few stops?
Old 12-24-18, 07:14 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Can you get a good workout riding the trails? I.E. keep a good pace with few stops?
Read the RULES, Trails by me have 15mph limit.

Pinellas County, Florida - Park & Conservation Resources - Pinellas County Trail Guide
Old 12-24-18, 10:01 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I was rather surprised that RonH hasn't sounded off in this thread yet. I checked to see whether he was posting and his last was back in Nov. around Tgiving. Hope he is well.
I'm still around but have been lying low. I've stopped "inviting" folks to FL, especially to ride the Withlacoochee Trail, because it seems that some of them haven't turned out to be the friendliest of folks.
The Withlacoochee Trail isn't as far south as Sarasota or WPB but its a great ride. It's 46 miles of nice relaxing scenery with lots of stops for water, restrooms, and even a few eating places. The southern half goes thru very rural areas with lakes, horse farms and small towns.

I've seen this guy with his "wagon" on the trail a few times.

This is in downtown Inverness.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-24-18, 11:27 AM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Absolutely! Major roads have overpasses which you get to climb and race back down the other side. Most minor roads have stop signs and/or very little traffic. The trail itself is wide enough to accommodate three riders abreast (although I don't recommend that) along with a smaller pedestrian path to one side. I probably average 13-15 MPH and get passed regularly by guys (and gals) training at 20+ MPH. I have ridden hundreds of miles on the trail and have only had to come to a stop occasionally for minor roads (although, there is one major overpass closed in the Clearwater area that you have to wait for a light change... by then a stop is welcomed!) . I also recommend a bell to let slower riders know you're coming past.

The biggest problem is coming through Clearwater. The trail ends at a busy intersection and you have to find it again on the other side. It's an almost straight shot but confusing the first time you encounter it.

You won't be disappointed... it's a great ride!
Old 12-24-18, 02:15 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by RonH

I've seen this guy with his "wagon" on the trail a few times.

This is in downtown Inverness.
Is that Wilford Brimley?

Old 01-01-19, 11:02 PM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on where along the trail you ride. When I visit my typical ride includes the stretch from north of Palm Harbor in to Tarpon Springs. On that stretch you can ride your own pace with few interruptions (occasional stop signs from crossing streets). But through Palm Harbor itself there's a stop sign every few hundred feet. Someone else already mentioned how challenging it is to ride the trail through central Clearwater.

I will also say that there is an abundance of bicycle lanes in Pinellas County (at least compared to what I'm used to in suburban Atlanta) and getting around the area is pretty easy even where there aren't dedicated lanes. If it isn't too windy you can enjoy the trail on the Courtney Campbell Causeway. That's about 10 miles of uninterrupted MUP from Clearwater to Tampa with a nice little hill (bridge) in the middle. But you do have to share it with the walkers, joggers, and roller bladers. RonH already mentioned the Withlacoochee. There's also the Suncoast Trail in Pasco and Hernando. It's a long stretch with few interruptions, but runs alongside a tollway so it isn't as nice of an environment as the Pinellas trail.
Old 01-02-19, 11:16 PM
Tbobx

Location: Lakewood Ranch FL, Occassionally Woods Hole MA and East Marion NY

Bikes: Seven AxiomS Road, Colnago Master Saronni Del Tongo, Trek 1.5

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Sarasota and Bradenton

I can recommend the Sarasota-Bradenton area for biking. There’s a fairly active bike community with several clubs that welcome snowbird visitors for a ride and plenty of bike lanes and backroads to ride. Sarasota has the Legacy Trail that goes south the Venice and Northport. Biking is popular as the residents just passed a bond measure by a wide margin to extend the Legacy Trail into downtown Sarasota. It’s a very nice paved rail trail. There’s also plenty of good riding on Longboat Key and Anna Maria Island, the barrier beaches. Check the wind speed and direction before leaving on a ride.
Old 01-04-19, 07:50 AM
Ald1 

Any thoughts on this area? Isla del Sol, Saint Petersburg, FL, Found a place at a very reasonable rate. Thanks?
Old 01-04-19, 11:34 PM
DrDyno

Any thoughts on this area? Isla del Sol, Saint Petersburg, FL, Found a place at a very reasonable rate. Thanks?
Isla Del Sol is on the Pinellas Bayway, several miles west of St. Petersburg, proper. The Pinellas Bay Way is a four lane road with light traffic that will take you south to Fort Desoto Park. The park has about ten miles of paved roadway which is a favorite of bicyclists, along with several off road trails. As long as you don't require hills, this is an excellent area for bicyclists.
Old 01-05-19, 04:37 PM
edman610

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp Disc Ultegra, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Specialized Fat Boy, trek Superfly FS9, Cannondale R400, Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi folks! I live up in NY, but one ride I've been really wanting to try is down the coast to Key West. I'm looking for advice on a route from West Palm Beach down to the keys.

Any thoughts, tips, suggested routes, areas to avoid, would be very helpful. Looking to do this solo, so I was thinking of flying into PBI, either renting or bringing my bike, then riding mostly A1A down to FLL, then from FLL down by Dania, Hollywood beaches, A1A into south beach, then MIA via Brickell, S Miami ave, old cutler rd, SW87th, SW107th to SW112th, by Homestead AFB to speedway, SW137th to card sound rd, then on to the keys. I attached a link to the route.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29127790

Also looking for suggestions on where to stay, etc, since I'll only have a pair of shorts, some shirts and flip flops besides bike gear.

Thank you all in advance!

/Ed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.