Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker Challenge #5

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker Challenge #5

Old 04-10-19, 06:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
@Phamilton, that's pretty special! You may end up keeping it. Where is that bike shop sticker from? There's a Marty's in NJ.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-10-19, 06:41 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Phamilton, that's pretty special! You may end up keeping it. Where is that bike shop sticker from? There's a Marty's in NJ.
Says Park Ridge, is that NJ?
I really think this might be a keeper. Seems to fit pretty nice without much fuss. It’s deceptively light and fast. Everything works, rides really well.
Old 04-10-19, 06:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by Phamilton
Says Park Ridge, is that NJ?
I really think this might be a keeper. Seems to fit pretty nice without much fuss. It’s deceptively light and fast. Everything works, rides really well.
Park Ridge is in NJ, but Marty's isn't there any more. They are in Morristown, Hacketstown, and Randolph. I guess they used to be in Park Ridge. Given how you ride and how much you like that Trek hybrid, this Schwinn may even become your favorite. Then again, you have a Raleigh Competition in your project queue.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-10-19, 06:51 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 1,358 Posts
I've been tackling the Fuji, or has it been tackling me? I'm not quite sure.

If I am winning, its in the category of 'hella more work than necessary for myself', and if I have to make up that category to win something, I will and will bribe Narhay to include it.

So, I wanted to save the stem, and it was freaking long, so I think we're good there:

Now, I already know what you all are thinking. "Oh no! He left no protruding stem overhang to crush the stem post together when he cuts it, and will be up s*&t creek!"

Well, o naive alarmists, I had a plan. I was going to take a long stem bolt, thread the wedge, the tap the wedge out of the bottom of the steerer tube. That would give me clearance to put something in the bottom of the steerer tube and knock the stem remains up through the top of the steerer tube once I made a cut.

Well, I gingerly cut a slot in the stem chunk, and merrily went on my way to tap out the wedge.

Well, about that.

Turns out, the wedge was getting jammed in the steerer tube. It wasn't coming out the bottom. It went about 2/3rds down and would jam SOLID. Halfway through, I actually thought I had ruined the fork. Yeah, it got that bad.

I had no idea what was going on. I was losing patience and thought maybe I would just get a new fork and scrap this one.

Well, there's no sense in ruining a perfectly good piece of junk, is there?

Since I couldn't get the wedge out and I had cut off any stem overhang, the next masterpiece of an idea instantly came to me - I'll drill divots in the top of the stem remains and start hammering the stem sleeve in on itself with a punch:

Well, aluminum is thick, apparently, and somehow stiff. So that idea was brilliant, but not quite brilliant enough. Can't it see I'm just trying to help it?

So then I drilled two little holes where the divots were to 'create' some pins sticking out and that could be clamped and used to release the stem sleeve. Result: bent tension release pins (i.e. nails)

Things were starting to look fun/dim. It was around this time that language became less child-friendly, hammers got bigger, and tools were gently set down with more velocity.

I cut another slit in the stem sleeve, started chipping away at it with a chisel/splitter took, and peeled that sucker back. I used the wedge from the bottom side and with a large rod, smacked that sucker home and out it all popped.

What is the difference between this photo and the last one?

There are no more wood blocks clamping on that bastard fork - no more playing nice!

So, coming back to that wedge and it getting stuck. It got it stuck nice and tight. And then hammered more. Once I got it loosened up from the bottom, I felt the inside and felt a nice, big ridge on the inside of the fork and my heart sunk. I had terrible visions of the wedge hammering my steerer tube right in half or significantly weakening it. This is around the time the gloves really came off and things started to get manhandled. Well, once things came apart, I thought I would assess the damage. I started looking closer at the fork and made an important discovery. The steerer tube is internally tapered! Now, this may be the case with most bicycles, but I had done something similar with my PX-10 and that wedge nut just came flying out the bottom of the fork. Surely it would be the same! Right? Surely not.

Well, instead of writing a huge paragraph about this idea (even though I just did) and confusing everyone, I made a handy-dandy illustration. Remember it the next time you work on a frozen stem!

The glorious fuji lives on. The next test will be to see if I knocked my steerer tube threads out of round, in addition to mashing some of them.

#KBF. (Klunker Bikes Forever)

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 04-10-19 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 06:56 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by noglider
Park Ridge is in NJ, but Marty's isn't there any more. They are in Morristown, Hacketstown, and Randolph. I guess they used to be in Park Ridge. Given how you ride and how much you like that Trek hybrid, this Schwinn may even become your favorite. Then again, you have a Raleigh Competition in your project queue.
If I like this one and keep it I’m thinking about throwing the straight bar back on the hybrid. That Raleigh also sold. Just from the 2-3 miles I rode it (the Voyageur) tonight, I think it’d make a mighty fine commuter. You see those racks front and rear? Shucks. There’s even plenty of room for fenders.
Its almost not fair to enter it in the clunker challenge. Nothing clunks and all I had to do was put air in the tires, move the saddle up, and throw some recycled bar tape on it. No challenge. Too good to be true.
Old 04-10-19, 07:10 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 173 Posts
I’m in. Perfect candidates for the lowest budget(receipt included). The Trek needs cables,but the Fuji is ready to roll. The tires are on the edge,but may risk it on some local 20-30 mile rides to make the 100k for both. I assume Strava screenshots with pics of the bike would be good to document the miles.

Old 04-10-19, 09:44 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by brandenjs
I’m in. Perfect candidates for the lowest budget(receipt included). The Trek needs cables,but the Fuji is ready to roll. The tires are on the edge,but may risk it on some local 20-30 mile rides to make the 100k for both. I assume Strava screenshots with pics of the bike would be good to document the miles.

Oh wow you suck
Old 04-10-19, 10:28 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts

@AdventureManCO think of all the stories you have now. I will admit that when I was in a similar stuck stem pickle with an old Raleigh Mixte I was building up for my niece I went the order a replacement sunlite 27" chrome fork on Amazon route. I am sure that Fuji knows whose boss now. Hope you had an adult beverage to celebrate/recover.
Old 04-11-19, 04:50 AM
Bicycle Addict

Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent, I love this challenge, time to buy something!
Old 04-11-19, 09:17 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Schwinn Voyageur - Day 1 - $55 - 20k (12 miles)

First 20k down on this "klunker".

Our first adventure together was this morning's commute, winds out of east steady at 20 and gusting 40, a real puke-fest. I almost wish I hadn't ridden it today, had a little fair bit of drama figuring out the saddle height/angle.

Kind of cool that it has the factory (or factory option) odometer on the front wheel, will make it easy to track the 100k (well, I guess 62 miles in this case).

While I really really liked the paper-thin super supple skinwalls that were on the bike, they weren't rotted but were definitely a little dry and I didn't trust them to survive my commute so I put on a set of 27" x 1 1/4" Bontrager T1s that I put about 4,000 miles on, on a different bike. They're trusty tires, don't puncture much and still appear to have some good life left in them. For sure they're a little heavy and the ride is a little less inspiring now, but this bike really rides and handles super duper. I'd pay $10 for a set of used tires like these. Bar tape is recycled from a past project bike, was in my parts drawer. I'll put my total so far at $55.

Since I'm a commuter and put in a lot of miles, and since the bike was so cheap and easy so far, I'm thinking about changing up the rules of the challenge for myself and requiring that I keep the bike on the road for the remainder of the 100 days while still keeping the total below $100. But I need a little time to get acquainted with it and see if it really rings my bell, ya know?

Last edited by Phamilton; 04-11-19 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added title
Old 04-11-19, 11:52 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by ryansu

@AdventureManCO think of all the stories you have now. I will admit that when I was in a similar stuck stem pickle with an old Raleigh Mixte I was building up for my niece I went the order a replacement sunlite 27" chrome fork on Amazon route. I am sure that Fuji knows whose boss now. Hope you had an adult beverage to celebrate/recover.
Yep, I'm somewhat bonded to it now, for all the wrong reasons. I'm trying to figure out what wheelset I want to use for it. I've got some throwaway Normandy-hubbed 27s that will grind and moan (even after being rebuilt) so maybe they would be perfect for this thing. I'd really like to keep using the good Nitto north road style bars, but someone used them for digging up concrete in the past, and they are pretty messed up - so now they will be perfect for this bike.

Next order of business is to cut the angle on the bottom of the stem, swipe a stem bolt from the junk pile at the co-op, and figure out the brakes. I've got some options there in the parts bin, but most of them are too pretty to be put on this bike.
Old 04-11-19, 12:38 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

First 20k down on this "klunker".

Our first adventure together was this morning's commute, winds out of east steady at 20 and gusting 40, a real puke-fest. I almost wish I hadn't ridden it today, had a little fair bit of drama figuring out the saddle height/angle.

Kind of cool that it has the factory (or factory option) odometer on the front wheel, will make it easy to track the 100k (well, I guess 62 miles in this case).

While I really really liked the paper-thin super supple skinwalls that were on the bike, they weren't rotted but were definitely a little dry and I didn't trust them to survive my commute so I put on a set of 27" x 1 1/4" Bontrager T1s that I put about 4,000 miles on, on a different bike. They're trusty tires, don't puncture much and still appear to have some good life left in them. For sure they're a little heavy and the ride is a little less inspiring now, but this bike really rides and handles super duper. I'd pay $10 for a set of used tires like these. Bar tape is recycled from a past project bike, was in my parts drawer. I'll put my total so far at $55.

Since I'm a commuter and put in a lot of miles, and since the bike was so cheap and easy so far, I'm thinking about changing up the rules of the challenge for myself and requiring that I keep the bike on the road for the remainder of the 100 days while still keeping the total below $100. But I need a little time to get acquainted with it and see if it really rings my bell, ya know?

That was a great Score glad to see you picked it up, nothing like the crucible of the daily commute to reveal what adjustments are needed, likes dislikes and if the bike is a keeper. From the catalog shot appears to be an 1983 in Smoky Pearl with factory racks.

Last edited by ryansu; 04-11-19 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 01:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Phamilton, it's not a factory odometer. That thing never came on a bike originally.

Old 04-11-19, 06:18 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I've been tackling the Fuji, or has it been tackling me? I'm not quite sure.

If I am winning, its in the category of 'hella more work than necessary for myself', and if I have to make up that category to win something, I will and will bribe Narhay to include it.

So, I wanted to save the stem, and it was freaking long, so I think we're good there:

Now, I already know what you all are thinking. "Oh no! He left no protruding stem overhang to crush the stem post together when he cuts it, and will be up s*&t creek!"

Well, o naive alarmists, I had a plan. I was going to take a long stem bolt, thread the wedge, the tap the wedge out of the bottom of the steerer tube. That would give me clearance to put something in the bottom of the steerer tube and knock the stem remains up through the top of the steerer tube once I made a cut.

Well, I gingerly cut a slot in the stem chunk, and merrily went on my way to tap out the wedge.

Well, about that.

Turns out, the wedge was getting jammed in the steerer tube. It wasn't coming out the bottom. It went about 2/3rds down and would jam SOLID. Halfway through, I actually thought I had ruined the fork. Yeah, it got that bad.

I had no idea what was going on. I was losing patience and thought maybe I would just get a new fork and scrap this one.

Since I couldn't get the wedge out and I had cut off any stem overhang, the next masterpiece of an idea instantly came to me - I'll drill divots in the top of the stem remains and start hammering the stem sleeve in on itself with a punch:

Well, aluminum is thick, apparently, and somehow stiff. So that idea was brilliant, but not quite brilliant enough. Can't it see I'm just trying to help it?

So then I drilled two little holes where the divots were to 'create' some pins sticking out and that could be clamped and used to release the stem sleeve. Result: bent tension release pins (i.e. nails)

Things were starting to look fun/dim. It was around this time that language became less child-friendly, hammers got bigger, and tools were gently set down with more velocity.

I cut another slit in the stem sleeve, started chipping away at it with a chisel/splitter took, and peeled that sucker back. I used the wedge from the bottom side and with a large rod, smacked that sucker home and out it all popped.

What is the difference between this photo and the last one?

There are no more wood blocks clamping on that bastard fork - no more playing nice!

So, coming back to that wedge and it getting stuck. It got it stuck nice and tight. And then hammered more. Once I got it loosened up from the bottom, I felt the inside and felt a nice, big ridge on the inside of the fork and my heart sunk. I had terrible visions of the wedge hammering my steerer tube right in half or significantly weakening it. This is around the time the gloves really came off and things started to get manhandled. Well, once things came apart, I thought I would assess the damage. I started looking closer at the fork and made an important discovery. The steerer tube is internally tapered! Now, this may be the case with most bicycles, but I had done something similar with my PX-10 and that wedge nut just came flying out the bottom of the fork. Surely it would be the same! Right? Surely not.

Well, instead of writing a huge paragraph about this idea (even though I just did) and confusing everyone, I made a handy-dandy illustration. Remember it the next time you work on a frozen stem!

The glorious fuji lives on. The next test will be to see if I knocked my steerer tube threads out of round, in addition to mashing some of them.

#KBF. (Klunker Bikes Forever)
I mean I would have probably just given up. Impressive use of time.
Old 04-11-19, 07:45 PM
ryansu

Nearly 15 km in with today's after work ride in between rain showers. I have this crazy idea I might ride the 520 as is on a charity ride later this month. The short route anyway

Looking west toward Puget sound and the coming rain
Old 04-11-19, 08:07 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Oh wow you suck
LoL. Sorry I had no idea that Fuji wouldn’t have anyone bidding.
Old 04-11-19, 08:24 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Schwinn Voyageur - Day 1.8 - $55 - 43k (27miles)

On the ride home from work and a couple short rides around the neighborhood finally got the saddle more or less dialed in. It’s a big change to go from one bike to another I guess, even when they’re more or less the same size (my daily commuter is also a 23” frame), but this bike is 10 lbs lighter and has much different geometry.

The bike is so nice that I can’t conscionably put any more miles on the old grease and bearings, so my quick start out of the gate will be slowed until I have a chance to address properly.

@noglider is right, this is a pretty special bike. I really like the half step plus granny gearing. I haven’t used downtube shifters in a while and the last bike I had them on had them in a different position so my hands were flying all over the place. It must have been a sight.

I test fit the fenders from my daily commuter just out of curiosity this evening. I don’t know yet if I’ll leave them on. They WOULD add value that I might need elsewhere.

I’m happy to slow down and take my time with this one. May be several days between updates.

Thanks everybody so much for kind words on my find. It feels like a gift.

Sorry for poor garage pic.

Old 04-12-19, 10:03 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts

!
! Total score.
Old 04-12-19, 10:11 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts

And another!
Old 04-12-19, 11:57 AM
ryansu

Thanks @leftthread 'd love to take credit for sleuthing a great deal on the 520 but it was pure dumb luck; right place, right time, right size.
Old 04-12-19, 03:39 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 196 Posts
Went down to the co-op today. Found the first component piece that I’ll build the French frame clunker around. I’ve always want to try a 1x5!

Frame: free plus $30 credit for parts sold
Suntour rear shift lever: $3
=
$27 credit remaining

Old 04-12-19, 03:49 PM
ryansu

Originally Posted by deux jambes
Went down to the co-op today. Found the first component piece that I’ll build the French frame clunker around. I’ve always want to try a 1x5!

Frame: free plus $30 credit for parts sold
Suntour rear shift lever: $3
=
$27 credit remaining

Le Cinq Vitesse Or you could just go with Cinq for short - and avoid rides requiring climbing spencer's butte lol
Old 04-12-19, 04:02 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 196 Posts
Le Cinq Vitesse Or you could just go with Cinq for short - and avoid rides requiring climbing spencer's butte lol
Absolutely. Probably a few smaller hills which should be side skirted as well

I removed the Arabesque crankset set from the sales forum as I’m contemplating using it with just the 45t chainring and an Atom 14-24 in the back

EDIT: What’da ya know!? As soon as I mentioned using the Arabesque, I get reply for it from my CL ad. I’ve had it listed here, and there for two weeks with no hits. Anyhow it’s gone now. I’ll dig something up at the co-op.

Last edited by deux jambes; 04-12-19 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-13-19, 09:30 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

100 replies....100 more things to go wrong as I pull the 165mm cranks off the Fuji today and inspect the bottom bracket that wont turn more than 1cm at the pedals. Stay tuned.
Old 04-13-19, 11:38 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I took a trip down to Po' Man's Bike Dump, and found myself a date with destiny for $20:

It wasn't what I was looking for, but it's what I got. They had some big trees topple over in the hurricane, so most of the dump is inaccessible. At any rate, it's all there: low budget Suntour Accushift, Lee Chi Sine Power brakes, and plastic brake levers. Perfect! I'll give it an overhaul this weekend and try to go the 100K in one shot. I don't have a lot of free time for riding these days, and to be honest I don't want to spend it riding this!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.