Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

E bike speed limit on MUP

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

E bike speed limit on MUP

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 09:06 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Would you call these ebikes or motorcyclyes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsNOIqNonsE
At first I was going to say motorized bicycle until I saw how fast they could go. Those are probably motorcycles.

In Minnesota a rough guide is, e-bike, required to pedal and motor shuts off at 20 mph; motorized bicycle, includes mopeds, the motor will not propel you faster than 30 mph;and everything else is motorcycle.
Old 04-10-19, 11:41 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
With e-assist, it isn't just speed you should worry about, it's also weight--look what you can do with a 750w motor:

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...ric-cargo-bike

Add the cargo, rider and bike, and that's well in excess of 500 pounds going more than 20 mph on a path.
Enjoy this picturr of my old, slower e-bike doing a scrap-run, and bear in mind that even in that state it was able to do 40mph uphill...

Old 04-11-19, 12:34 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Only if being chased by that stegosaurus in the background.
Old 04-11-19, 06:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Enjoy this picturr of my old, slower e-bike doing a scrap-run, and bear in mind that even in that state it was able to do 40mph uphill...

So what's your point? First of all, I'm not talking about a bike and trailer, I'm talking about a mass-produced bicycle that has the capacity built into the frame.

Second of all, I've never seen anything quite like that rig capable of those kind of speeds in the U.S. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but they're clearly not common around these parts.

Third, can't speak for UK conditions, but that rig would pose a huge hazard on an American MUP and should never be allowed IMO. It's a heavy motorized vehicle, exactly the sort of thing MUPs are supposed to exclude.
Old 04-11-19, 07:18 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Ah, you mean like this?

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGDqT8OXYAA6KgE.jpg

I agree to a point, there surely comes a line where something is too large to transport on a cycleway. But that's what we have laws for, and as long as a vehicle fits within the law, then there's no problem.

In my case sense was practiced more than i let on - the bike with trailer was in road legal mode. It was limited to 250w, 15.5mph and pedal assist. I did go slowly (very, on occasion) and i was courteous to other users of the path.

Once you venture into what 'some' people 'can' do then that points to the guy who blasted past me recently on a blatantly stolen motorbike. It is a question of what is legal, and when the ice cream trike below is legal, then a power assisted one to legal specification is legal too, and there lies the subject of where you may wish to begin speculating on boundaries.

[IMG]https://www.cargobike.co.uk/wp-conte...8187273669.jpg
Old 04-11-19, 07:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Ah, you mean like this?

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGDqT8OXYAA6KgE.jpg

I agree to a point, there surely comes a line where something is too large to transport on a cycleway. But that's what we have laws for, and as long as a vehicle fits within the law, then there's no problem.

In my case sense was practiced more than i let on - the bike with trailer was in road legal mode. It was limited to 250w, 15.5mph and pedal assist. I did go slowly (very, on occasion) and i was courteous to other users of the path.

Once you venture into what 'some' people 'can' do then that points to the guy who blasted past me recently on a blatantly stolen motorbike. It is a question of what is legal, and when the ice cream trike below is legal, then a power assisted one to legal specification is legal too, and there lies the subject of where you may wish to begin speculating on boundaries.

[IMG]https://www.cargobike.co.uk/wp-conte...8187273669.jpg

Not the case in Mass., where I do most of my path riding. While electric bikes are allowed in bike lanes, they are not legal on bike paths. The ice cream bike would probably be legal on the path (as long as it didn't park there), but none of the electric rigs would be. I didn't know it at the time, but the cargo bikes I saw on the Minuteman were there illegally.

What is pretty funny is that a lot of the towns along the Minuteman have set up ebike rental kiosks very close to the path and I don't think the tourists necessarily know that taking them on the path is illegal.
Old 04-11-19, 08:05 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Not the case in Mass., where I do most of my path riding. While electric bikes are allowed in bike lanes, they are not legal on bike paths. The ice cream bike would probably be legal on the path (as long as it didn't park there), but none of the electric rigs would be. I didn't know it at the time, but the cargo bikes I saw on the Minuteman were there illegally.

What is pretty funny is that a lot of the towns along the Minuteman have set up ebike rental kiosks very close to the path and I don't think the tourists necessarily know that taking them on the path is illegal.
In Massachusetts, the law has not kept up. But you are quite incorrect that e-bikes are *illegal*. The operating laws are just currently *silent* on them.

That's part of why we have *pilot* programs for e-bike shares. (And Brookline's new *pilot* for e-scooters.)

Last year the RMV determined that e-bikes are NOT a motor vehicle or a moped. So the signs "NO MOTOR VEHICLES" on the Minuteman do *NOT* apply to e-bikes.

But rules for operating e-bikes (and e-scooters) don't exist and are hopefully coming soonish, but never underestimate the ability of the General Court to dissemble.

In the meantime, Arlington on e-bikes on the Minuteman:

"Captain Richard Flynn of the Arlington Police Department told the Advocate that e-bikes are allowed on the Minuteman Bikeway in Arlington but could not speak for other communities."

The Arlington Select Board *just* endorsed HB.3014/S.2071.

A friend a bit older than me WHO LOVES TO RIDE BIKES calls their new e-bike "a godsend, a fountain of youth." It allows them to ride up the hills that are getting steeper, and to face the winds that are getting stronger. When you pass them on the Minuteman, you might wave. They might wave back.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-11-19 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 08:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill
In Massachusetts, the law has not kept up.

That's part of why we have *pilot* programs for e-bike shares. (And Brookline's new *pilot* for e-scooters.)

Last year the RMV determined that e-bikes are NOT a motor vehicle or a moped.

Rules for operating e-bikes (and e-scooters) are hopefully coming soonish, but never underestimate the ability of the General Court to dissemble.

In the meantime, Arlington on e-bikes on the Minuteman:

"Captain Richard Flynn of the Arlington Police Department told the Advocate that e-bikes are allowed on the Minuteman Bikeway in Arlington but could not speak for other communities."

The Arlington Select Board *just* endorsed HB.3014/S.2071.

A friend a bit older than me WHO LOVES TO RIDE BIKES calls their new e-bike "a godsend, a fountain of youth." It allows them to ride up the hills that are getting steeper, and to face the winds that are getting stronger. When you pass them on the Minuteman, you might wave. They might wave back.

-mr. bill
Thanks! I am now completely confused, because different sources are saying very different things. Your credibility on this is wayyyyyyy higher than mine.

I tend to think light e-bikes used as normal rider/bike combo are pretty harmless on paths, and I've had very pleasant interactions with the types of riders you're describing. I just don't think regulations are catching up to how much weight can go how fast using a 750 watt motor, and how that could totally change the character of, for example, Minuteman traffic..
Old 04-11-19, 08:52 AM
mr_bill

I just don't think regulations are catching up to how much weight can go how fast using a 750 watt motor, and how that could totally change the character of, for example, Minuteman traffic.
I don't think people realize how much weight can go how fast using a 150 watt motor (aka human). There are a lot of people on cargo bikes on the Minuteman carrying families these days, with only a few of them with e-assisted.

-mr. bill
Old 04-11-19, 09:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I don't think people realize how much weight can go how fast using a 150 watt motor (aka human). There are a lot of people on cargo bikes on the Minuteman carrying families these days, with only a few of them with e-assisted.

-mr. bill

I've seen that, but I think they're not getting anywhere near 20 mph on anything but a very steep hill. I generally don't see those getting much into the double digits (if that) on a path. That difference in velocity squared makes the motorized heavy a lot more dangerous.

There's a sort of whataboutism that seems to pop up whenever I point out that the motorization affects other relevant safety factors besides speed, and I don't think it's logical--this somewhat hazardous thing is already on the MUP, so why not let this new one get there? Eventually, that logic doesn't let you prohibit cars. This is about drawing somewhat sensible boundaries, not coming up with perfect ones.

BTW, the example I would use if I were arguing "the other side" would be a well-trained tandem team. That's pretty heavy and fast.
Old 04-11-19, 09:28 AM
enveous
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
Only if being chased by that stegosaurus in the background.
This kind of blatant misinformation makes this forum very difficult to read.

/sarcasm

(That's a Tricerotops.)
Old 04-11-19, 09:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by enveous
This kind of blatant misinformation makes this forum very difficult to read.

/sarcasm

(That's a Tricerotops.)

Those definitely need to be speed limited on the bike path.
Old 04-11-19, 09:40 AM
mr_bill

That difference in velocity squared makes the motorized heavy a lot more dangerous.
p = mv

Mass times Velocity. Not Mass times Velocity times Velocity.

Anyhow, Amsterdam banned scooters (blue plate, yellow plate already banned) this week from the bike paths inside A-10. They will begin warning this Monday for a period of one month, and then issue tickets. (Maybe. It's Amsterdam after all, plus the enforcement officers are on strike refusing to recognize the ban.)

But e-bikes and electric assisted cargo bikes are still welcome there.

-mr. bill
Old 04-11-19, 09:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

p = mv

Mass times Velocity. Not Mass times Velocity times Velocity.

Anyhow, Amsterdam banned scooters (blue plate, yellow plate already banned) this week from the bike paths inside A-10. They will begin warning this Monday for a period of one month, and then issue tickets. (Maybe. It's Amsterdam after all, plus the enforcement officers are on strike refusing to recognize the ban.)

But e-bikes and electric assisted cargo bikes are still welcome there.

-mr. bill
KE = 0.5 × m × v^2.
Old 04-11-19, 11:17 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Triceratops commuter vs. jersey barrier choke point, on the next episode of "what if?"
Old 04-11-19, 11:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by unichris
triceratops commuter vs. Jersey barrier choke point, on the next episode of "what if?"
i....am....so...in!!!!!!
Old 04-11-19, 11:58 AM
mr_bill

Although disputed, top speed of the English Triceratops according to BBC Earth is 26 kph (about 16 mph). However, the Gordon Triceratops is claimed to be able to exceed 20 mph.

Useful information to know while pedalling across the Bridge of Death.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-11-19 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 12:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Although disputed, top speed of the English Triceratops according to BBC Earth is 26 kph (about 16 mph). However, the Gordon Triceratops is claimed to be able to exceed 20 mph.

Useful information to know while pedalling across the Bridge of Death.

-mr. bill
SOURCE: Dinosaur Strava.

Didn't Gordon Triceratops play for the Celtics?
Old 04-11-19, 01:11 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
In that kind of wind I might expect that an e-bike would be good not merely for propulsion but for extra weight. I haven't ridden in wind higher than about 30 mph and even with that you get blown around with some of the sidestream gusts.

Not this one. As I recall this one weighs in the low 20s.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-15-19, 12:15 PM
Glenhollow

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Like oldnslow2, speed limits for the MUPs around here are 15 mph for everyone. Faster just isn't safe for the pedestrians on it. Enforcement? I'm sure if there were enough complaints the police would patrol it more for a while.

If you want to go over 15 mph, you should probably be on the roads anyway. You may feel intimidated by cars, but that's what you're doing to the pedestrians right now.
BlazingPedals, Your comment is spot on! I ride an e-bike now due to nerve damage in my legs. I can go 28mph, but I don't feel safe at that speed. When I go on the local trails I ride about 14 mph with pedal assist. That is what feels good for me. You can't go much faster than that, you are putting pedestrians and yourself at risk if you do.