Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wireless Bike computer--can I use 2 of the same model and have 1 sensor feed both?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Wireless Bike computer--can I use 2 of the same model and have 1 sensor feed both?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 12:04 PM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

So I'm having my 1996 Cannondale tandem overhauled, and am removing the defective wired computers and want to run wireless.

First question -- can I buy two computers of the same model, can I use one sensor and have it feed both computers, one for the captain, and one for the stoker? I'm going to guess no, otherwise anytime on group rides there would be interference from other riders.

Which leads to my second question, will two wireless sensors of the same or different brand conflict with one another? I already have a Cateye Strada Slim wireless computer I took off a road bike I can use on the tandem for the stoker, so if I buy another computer, say Cateye Padrone Plus or Planet Bike Protege (has temperature!), will the sensors conflict? I may want a cadence model, so would it work to have both sensors transmitting from the rear wheel?. I just want to make sure having two wireless sensors/computers on the same rear wheel will not cause a conflict.

BTW - its something I want to leave on the bike and not have sync to my phone.

Last edited by yeamac; 04-14-19 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 12:19 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Not a problem with Ant+ sensors. Something like a Garmin 25 should be suitable.
Old 04-14-19, 12:45 PM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Originally Posted by gregf83
Not a problem with Ant+ sensors. Something like a Garmin 25 should be suitable.
OK, so I've been reading online about the various products available today (haven't computer shopped in 5-6 years) and am looking at the LEZYNE Enhanced Super GPS Cycling Computer . So with a product like this, I need to buy a speed/cadence sensor, and then if I wanted I could pick up a second one of these Lyzynes, or any other Ant+ device for the stoker, and the stoker could tap into the same speed cadence sensor? Is this correct? A little more pricey, but maybe I'd like GPS, turn by turn, and other features as well.

Last edited by yeamac; 04-14-19 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-15-19, 12:25 PM
act0fgod

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I use a garmin 1000 and my wife uses a garmin 800 (just upgraded her to the 820 that is sitting in the mailbox at home).

We use the same cadence sensor, on my crank, and speed sensor, on our front wheel. We each have our own hear rate monitors.

The way the garmin works is it searches for available sensors and then you select which ones to view. This is how there isn't problems on group rides. If we really wanted we could look at each others heart rate (don't think we could have both visible at the same time though)
Old 04-16-19, 07:06 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by yeamac
OK, so I've been reading online about the various products available today (haven't computer shopped in 5-6 years) and am looking at the LEZYNE Enhanced Super GPS Cycling Computer . So with a product like this, I need to buy a speed/cadence sensor, and then if I wanted I could pick up a second one of these Lyzynes, or any other Ant+ device for the stoker, and the stoker could tap into the same speed cadence sensor? Is this correct? A little more pricey, but maybe I'd like GPS, turn by turn, and other features as well.
Analog speed sensors don't have the range for tandem in my experience (3 feet/1m). Sometimes it might work. Other times, it doesn't. ANT+ or BTLE sensors has the range. I don't think there are many 2 channel BTLE speed sensors available.

Speed sensors for a GPS is optional. GPS can track speed. ANT+ can be picked up by multiple computers and has range for a tandem. Cadence is a different matter.

BT sensors are becoming more popular due to the ever-present smartphone (aka. pocket computer) which can be used as a bike computer with BT sensors. Main downside of smartphone is battery life when used as a bike computer. GPS and screens consumes a lot of power.
Old 04-16-19, 08:20 AM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
We run two Cateye computers off one sensor on our tandem as well. The captain has a CC RD430DW (cadence/heart rate/speed) and the stoker has an CC RD420DW (heart rate/speed). Cateye will tell you it can't be done because the computer comes paired to the sensor that it is sold with. Well, just set up the captains computer with it's sensor then pair the stoker'e computer to a "2nd" sensor (the computers are capable of switching between two "paired" sensors for use on different bikes). You also have a spare speed sensor now. This works very well and are speed & distance is spot on between the two units.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
2016 S&S Santana Beyond
Old 04-16-19, 08:30 AM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
The Cateye computers work very good, the heart monitors are not quite as accurate as dedicated HRMs we used in the past. I probably won't pat extra next time for this HRM feature. These are out first wireless computers and we are very pleased with them. They do go though batteries quicker than a wired unit, but disassembling & reassembling on tours is easier. An interesting point we have noticed, is that when one of the computer heads battery gets weak (before any battery indicator pops up) the speed display will be slower in responding (to speed changes) than the other unit. We now know that means change the battery.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
Old 04-16-19, 08:52 AM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think about the bike 1/bike 2 feature, so that does make sense that it would work with the same sensor. I'll see if I can find a wireless model that works with the Strada Slim I already have so then I only have to buy one more bike computer. The computers you mention are 2.4ghz, while I don't see that advertised for the Strada Slim, so will check all of Cateye's products and see if I can find one with cadence that should work. I won't use a HR monitor, so can go with a lesser model.

Edit: Apparently there are two primary versions of transmitters for CatEye wireless computers. The slim one that is made to mount on the front fork and needs to be within 60 cm to work. I think I'll just go with 2.4ghz models since the slim doesn't seem up to snuff.

I haven't bought cycling gear in 5 years, but I'm quickly making up for lost time! Here's what I'm spending money on: overhaul on tandem, rear was set up for child stoker, so I'm making other changes including getting new bars, grips, mirrors, computers, tires, chains, cassette, timing cranks, even changing out the water bottle cages.

Last edited by yeamac; 04-16-19 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-17-19, 09:25 AM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

So I was able to spend more time researching this and want to follow up. There just isn't a low cost basic wireless speed/cadence computer out there right now from a major brand (not willing to try off brands from China on eBay). I can either spend $80 for the Cateye, and another $60 for a matching digital wireless for my wife (the models referenced by Chancy above, which look to be good models and would work well for my intended use), or, since I already own a Strada Slim road version, I found a Strada Slim (analog) new in box with the standard speed sensor on eBay for $35 shipped, and will just forgo Cadence for now. I can't see spending $105 more so that I can have cadence. With this purchase I can put the slim sensor on my road bike and also switch the computer between bikes, as Chancy says above, for a lot less investment. The Strada Slim computers are really diminutive, which I like anyway.
Old 04-17-19, 10:22 AM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The Strada Slim is an analog computer. I have known people that have tried using them with no luck. The stoker’s computer wouldn’t read a sensor mounted on the front or rear wheel. One couple I know tried mounting the stoker’s computer on the top tube instead of the bars. After moving it around they got it to work part time with a rear sensor and it was hard to see. They ended up switching to a Cateye digital.

I have Cateye digital computers on one of my tandems and on my triplet. They work well even on the triplet all three will read the rear wheel sensor.