Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hunting for a inexpensive stem, extra long, 31.8

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-19, 07:13 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

To re-state the obvious , I'm looking for the best deal imaginable, on a long stem, like 120, maybe 130mm, with 1 1/8 steerer clamp, and 31.8 handlebar clamp, preferably in basic black.
I've been scouring ebay, and elsewhere, and before I jump on something used or generic on ebay, or a Fuji takeoff , or whatever, I figured I'd run it by the Matrix here, and maybe get pointed in a positive direction. (I also just took a lk in the marketplace here, but no joy).
This is for a cool little urban commuter type bike I just scored on my local Craigslist, and I'm on a shoestring budget here. I had a long Easton stem in my parts bin I thought would be perfect, but turns out the handlebar clamp is too small.
Any help is much appreciated.
Old 06-14-19, 07:54 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Here ya go:

oval-concepts-r300-road-mtb-stem-120mm-31-8mm-6d-black

Always interesting to prowl the Closeouts at Bikewagon. They end up with some interesting stuff. If it's what you're looking for, there are some really good deals. Shipping is free over $50 so it's good if you need a couple or three things.

Seriously, though, see if your LBS has a take-off bin. They're usually willing to let them go for cheap, if you bring your too-short stem, they might even just do a straight up swap.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 06-14-19, 09:16 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Thanks Ironfish, that's a good option. But, right now the front runners are a Easton EA50 for $17 delivered, and a Fuji, for $11 delivered. I actually like the Fuji a little better, besides being almost free, it's got a 4-screw faceplate, which I kinda prefer (though i've never had or seen any issues with the 2-screw kind). Since it's the weekend, I'll keep digging around before jumping on one.
I may call a couple LBS's, but I'm not optimistic about our local guys.
Old 06-14-19, 09:27 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Thanks Ironfish, that's a good option. But, right now the front runners are a Easton EA50 for $17 delivered, and a Fuji, for $11 delivered. I actually like the Fuji a little better, besides being almost free, it's got a 4-screw faceplate, which I kinda prefer (though i've never had or seen any issues with the 2-screw kind). Since it's the weekend, I'll keep digging around before jumping on one.
I may call a couple LBS's, but I'm not optimistic about our local guys.
Dude, if you can get one for less than $20 bucks DELIVERED, you oughta jump on it. Seriously.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 06-14-19, 09:37 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Random Bike Parts usually has some good stuff. Discount code save10 will save you 10%. Free standard shipping.

They sell on Ebay as well (and are affiliated with Crosslake Sales), but you might get a better deal from the website.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 06-14-19, 09:50 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by wipekitty
Random Bike Parts usually has some good stuff. Discount code save10 will save you 10%. Free standard shipping.

They sell on Ebay as well (and are affiliated with Crosslake Sales), but you might get a better deal from the website.

LOL, as chance would have it, those are the guys with the cheap Fuji stem I was looking at, and I just popped on it a minute ago ( but I missed out on that big 10% discount code, that woulda saved me like a dollar !!! ).
https://www.randombikeparts.com/prod...saAlQlEALw_wcB
I'd already checked them out, and found out they are also CrosslakeSales (good reviews on them both), but the same stem from their ebay account is still up for auction, at about the same price, so i figured what the hell, might as well git while the gittin's good.
Thanks again to all for taking the time to comment.........
Old 06-14-19, 09:54 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
good reviews on them both
I've bought several things from them over the years, including a whole bike - no problems! I don't think the discount ever expires, so you'll have it next time.
Likes For wipekitty: