Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano RSX upgrade questions 2

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 11:53 AM
Kable

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, My question is: is it possible to convert an old square taper RSX bottom bracket to the new Outboard 105 style. I just want to know if it can be converted.

Thanks
Old 06-17-19, 11:56 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
You have to get a different bottom-bracket, but the bottom-bracket shell (the part on your bike frame) is almost certainly compatible with the modern external ones, including what is used now with 105 cranks.
Old 06-17-19, 12:09 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Why? The square taper is a good design and shimano square taper bottom brackets are readily available.
Old 06-17-19, 12:12 PM
Kable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
You have to get a different bottom-bracket, but the bottom-bracket shell (the part on your bike frame) is almost certainly compatible with the modern external ones, including what is used now with 105 cranks.
That's awesome, thanks. I'm planning to replace the entire system so a new bottom bracket won't be a problem.
Old 06-17-19, 12:14 PM
Kable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Why? The square taper is a good design and shimano square taper bottom brackets are readily available.
Because I want to change the entire groupset. The one on the bike is really old but I love the frame so I'm upgrading everything.
Old 06-17-19, 12:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I changed one with square taper to external BB, and one with external BB to square taper.
Old 06-17-19, 12:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Kable
Hey, My question is: is it possible to convert an old square taper RSX bottom bracket to the new Outboard 105 style. I just want to know if it can be converted.

Thanks
1- yes it can be easily converted. Its just a matter of unscrewing the old BB, cleaning the threads and shell, then installing the new BB system. The bike uses a 68mm BB shell which is the same as whats used now.
2- you mention that you are fine converting everything, but a question like this causes me to guess that this will be a first for you. Thats awesome to see as its a fun hobby(building up old frames), but you really need to make sure you are aware of any possible limitations/issues ahead of time. Just read up on Sheldon's website and watch some videos if needed. Tools to maintain a full RSX bike will be in part different from tools to maintain a full modern 105 group.
3- change the brake calipers as new calipers are designed to pull with current 105 levers.
4- post here or in the C&V forum if you have questions, but there is no need to start multiple threads to ask basically the same question. Heck, just keep 1 thread going and ask any questions you have in it. the C&V posters are more than happy to share info and help. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/