Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on cadence sensor?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on cadence sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 06:51 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts

Here’s how I did mine. The wahoo sensor comes with a shoe pod. I used Velcro cable ties to secure it. Inside the pod I put a small piece of hook tape so the pile side of the Velcro tie sticks to it. The sensor is then placed in the pod further compressing the Velcro to the pod. The ends are simply run through shoe eyelets then trimmed and secured over the sensor. Easy to take on and off because I only use it when I ride my backup bike with no power meter.
Old 06-25-19, 06:58 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I never thought about doing that. Sounds like a good idea.

can you post a picture of how you set it up?
I don’t have a pic handy. The Wahoo cadence sensor is designed to attach to your shoe as one of the mounting options. There’s an opening in the sensor that you fit a Velcro strap through or ( in my case) thread the laces through.
Old 06-25-19, 07:49 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
What’s the general consensus on a cadence sensor? My tcr has a spot for one and I’m thinking about picking it up. I know it’s not as useful as a power meter, but I don’t know if I can justify a meter at this time. I’m a casual rider looking to increase speed and endurance. I’m currently a 18.5 mph solo rider and 20-21mph group rider.

Thanks
When I started out, displaying real-time cadence was a big benefit because it helped me to train my legs to spin at a higher cadence than what seemed natural at first. This has paid big dividends for me. Start with targeting a smooth 90rpm and then you can work at varying the muscle recruitment in different situations.

Last edited by Clipped_in; 06-25-19 at 07:53 AM.
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 06-25-19, 01:26 PM
Lrdchaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I appreciate the feedback! After reading through the responses and talking with a couple local bike shops I believe I will hold off and find a power meter. I’m looking to build on each ride and have a set of number I can build off of. Now comes the intensive power meter search!
Old 06-25-19, 01:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I appreciate the feedback! After reading through the responses and talking with a couple local bike shops I believe I will hold off and find a power meter. I’m looking to build on each ride and have a set of number I can build off of. Now comes the intensive power meter search!
Power2Max. Done.
Old 06-25-19, 02:17 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Good call on the power meter. I'm a new convert to the power meter game and am enjoying it immensely.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 06-25-19, 03:22 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What’s the general consensus on a cadence sensor? My tcr has a spot for one and I’m thinking about picking it up.

I know it’s not as useful as a power meter, but I don’t know if I can justify a meter at this time. I’m a casual rider looking to increase speed and endurance. I’m currently a 18.5 mph solo rider and 20-21mph group rider.

Thanks
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Is there a way to objectively establish your proper cadence w/o power measurement?
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
I think with experience you will be able to quantify effort by feel, from 30 - 90% and corollate it to you cadence range.

I have calculated my base cadence range using my speedometer and noting the sprocket selection to be about 60 - 90 rpm. At 40% effort 60 - 65 rpm is good, 60% about 70 -75 rpm, and at 80% effort perhaps 80-85 rpm.

Even as a recreational rider, I still like to monitor my effort by feel and cadence sometimes when fighting strong wind or climbing steep hills. Experiment with the gears. I used to use only very low gears on a hill in my neighbourhood, But found it much more efficient using taller ones for much of the ride.

Actually now that I think about it, A cadence sensor makes sense.
Originally Posted by jadocs
To me cadence is helpful when I am able to reference my power and speed. When I'm going all out, what feels faster is not always the case.

In certain instances (referencing speed and power) dropping a gear and increasing my cadence (even though it feels easier) has produced more power and resulted in more speed, especially with wind in your face.
I have posted about my use of a cadence sensor as a “surrogate power meter”:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Cadence"

I’m a 40+ year cyclist and I ride mainly for fitness. My training tool is the Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE) Scale, and I use cadence to chose gears to maintain my desired exertion.
This year though, I decided to go for speed (intensity), and I use the semi-quantitative, standardized, but personally relavant system of (Borg’s) Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE), with my own particular adaptation.
The RPE scale ranges from 6 to 17, with descriptions of the intensity. Multiply the RPE by 10 is the approximate heart rate. Jim's scale is the equivalent on a 0 to 100 scale, easier to think about:

RPE = 6, resting... Jim's scale = 10 to 20

RPE = 7, very, very light... Jim's scale = 20 to 30

RPE = 9, very light... Jim's scale = 30 to 40

11, fairly light...50 (my usual happy-go-lucky pace without thinking about it)

13, somewhat hard...60 (I have to focus to maintain)

15, hard...70 (I start breathing hard at about 30 seconds)

17, very hard (lactate threshold; breakpoint between hard but steady
breathing and labored with gasping)...80 (my predicted max HR)

19, very, very hard...90 to 100.
My basic training is to ride at my RPE of 50% for six miles to warm up, then cruise at an RPE of 60%, and do intervals (on hills) at 70%.

I try to change gears to maintain a cadence of about 85-90 rpm on flats and rolling hills, and about 60 to 80 rpm on harder hills, to maintain my RPE. Shift up to higher gears as the cadence rises, and shift down as the RPE increases.
Old 06-25-19, 04:53 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Is there a way to objectively establish your proper cadence w/o power measurement?
One way is to have a climb of some length that you ride all the time and you experiment with different cadences and the one that consistently produces the best time for your effort is the ticket. (For instance, I have a cat 3 climb of 5.08 miles that I've climbed almost 300 times and I have always used it as measuring stick of my overall fitness and power/speed.)

Note on an individual basis one's best cadence may vary quite a bit depending upon whether its a flat, ascent, or descent and the distance. However, once one rides enough you know within seconds in your mind what the speed or time that you have accomplished for a ride or segment of a ride.
Old 06-25-19, 05:06 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
@jadocs, that looks like a great set up. My Garmin cadence sensor is attached to the left crankarm, but I guess that I could just as easily attach it to a shoe.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 06-25-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 05:07 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by JasonD67
I don’t have a pic handy. The Wahoo cadence sensor is designed to attach to your shoe as one of the mounting options. There’s an opening in the sensor that you fit a Velcro strap through or ( in my case) thread the laces through.

I saw the pic from @jadocs, is that how your set up looks like? Great idea.
Old 06-25-19, 05:29 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
@jadocs, that looks like a great set up. My Garmin speed sensor is attached to the left crankarm, but I guess that I could just as easily attach it to a shoe.
I’m not familiar with speed sensors that attach to a crank. Do you mean the magnet? I would not put a magnet or a wireless speed sensor on your shoe.
Old 06-25-19, 05:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Good choice.

Power = RPMs * torque

What that means is if you want to do 300 watts, or whatever other number, you can achieve it at pretty much any cadence you like. And what that means is that knowing cadence and not torque vector is off very limited value at best, and potentially misleading at worst.

Power is what really matters.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-25-19, 06:51 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by jadocs
I’m not familiar with speed sensors that attach to a crank. Do you mean the magnet? I would not put a magnet or a wireless speed sensor on your shoe.
I meant my cadence sensor attaches to the left crank arm. Ooops
Old 06-26-19, 05:35 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I saw the pic from @jadocs, is that how your set up looks like? Great idea.
Yep. It's important that the sensor be attached in the orientation shown. Wahoo states that if its attached in any other orientation (say rotated 90º) it will not work.
Old 06-26-19, 06:27 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by JasonD67
Yep. It's important that the sensor be attached in the orientation shown. Wahoo states that if its attached in any other orientation (say rotated 90º) it will not work.
I wonder if this would work with Garmin magnetless cadence sensors.
Old 06-26-19, 07:17 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
it doesn't. I tried this to keep it off my bike and it was not great. I think the Garmin sensor must be orientated on the crank in the up/down position to work properly???

Not sure but I couldn't make this work
Old 06-26-19, 02:51 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've had both power meters and cadence sensors. Both have value. Power is just torque times cadence. There is such a thing as an inappropriate cadence. You want good power and endurance. Run too big a gear at a low cadence and endurance suffers.

I'm too old now to care about power, but I do a lot of climbing in Colorado, and I know that letting your cadence drop below 65 isn't wise. If I'm on a climb and can't maintain 65 gpm, I need lower gears.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 06-26-19, 03:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It won't.