Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Speed Weaponry....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Speed Weaponry....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 01:32 PM
toneb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wfrogge
If hes not racing why have the Madone then? Hell why not buy a Wal Mart bike?

Answer:

BEACUSE HE WANTS THEM!
Old 08-09-07, 02:26 PM
briscoelab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubulars are NOT hard to live with in the least... get some Pit Stop and carry it with you on rides. If you are really anal, put some Tufo sealant in your training tubulars in the beginning. (But, please don't use Tufo road tubulars)
Old 08-09-07, 03:04 PM
Son of the Dark One

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Train on clinchers, race on tubs, so you need 2 sets.
Old 08-09-07, 05:54 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
I was thinking about this thread when I was out riding earlier. It occured to me that when I run my Zipps I am going to have to change the calibration on my computer because the tires on them are 21's and on my other wheels I have 23's. Just out of curiousity, what size tires are on the Zipps that you borrowed from the shop? That could account for some of that speed increase.
Old 08-09-07, 06:15 PM
Cassadamius
Extra Junior Member

Bikes: '05 LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I like to be as fast as I can be; I like using nice equipment and I can afford it.

Realistically, I'm going to race 15-20 days a year. I'm going to ride 300+ days a year. My Tuesday and Saturday Group rides are essentially training races. Thus I train on Zipps because I want to do well on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and I want to enjoy riding nice equipment.

It's all relative to what you can or want to spend. I'd probably say that even racing on LEW's, or training on Lightweights is stupid. But it might not be to someone who has the $8,000 to burn.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you don't have $50 to spare, you might say that you should save your Pro Race2 tires for race day becasue they're too expensive to train on. It's all relative.
I don't think they're stupid because they cost so much. I think they're stupid because they create empty speed. Why does it matter if you're faster in training? You may go 0.5 mph faster, but you aren't any faster than riding at 0.5 mph slower with cheaper wheels. It's like training only on negative grades. You're faster, but who cares?
Old 08-09-07, 06:27 PM
Turboem1
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Reno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toneb
First, you have one of the nicest bikes I have seen.

Second, i am assuming the shop that lent you them was sunrise tri. There is a sunrise tri that is local to me (but I am sure there is more then one) I am curious if it is the same place. Where are you located and where is that shop? Thanks
Old 08-09-07, 10:10 PM
toneb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turboem1
First, you have one of the nicest bikes I have seen.

Second, i am assuming the shop that lent you them was sunrise tri. There is a sunrise tri that is local to me (but I am sure there is more then one) I am curious if it is the same place. Where are you located and where is that shop? Thanks
Thanks, Sunrise Tri is located in West Babylon so it must be the one near you since you are in LI. Great people by the way.

Last edited by toneb; 08-09-07 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-09-07, 10:22 PM
toneb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
I was thinking about this thread when I was out riding earlier. It occured to me that when I run my Zipps I am going to have to change the calibration on my computer because the tires on them are 21's and on my other wheels I have 23's. Just out of curiousity, what size tires are on the Zipps that you borrowed from the shop? That could account for some of that speed increase.
they were Continental Competition and I believe they were 22's. If I get the wheels I'm getting these tires.
Old 08-09-07, 10:47 PM
Coyote2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your average speed is in the 17mph range and you want to put Zipps on your already expensive bike?

I thought cocaine was how silly affluent people wasted their money, but it appears that expensive bike stuff is now in fashion.

Yeah, go ahead and buy them. Hopefully I will see you on the road one day, so I can later brag to my wife about how I dropped some dude who had a bike worth four times mine.
Old 08-10-07, 03:44 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

they were Continental Competition and I believe they were 22's. If I get the wheels I'm getting these tires.
Unless you adjusted your computer to the new tire size (or have a garmin) that would account for a mph or so of your speed increase.
Old 08-10-07, 04:20 AM
filtersweep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most people seem to race on 303s--- but anyway.... have you ever been to a cat 5 race? I personally would feel like a jackass showing up for my very first race on a set of bling carbon wheels--- but whatever floats your boat. Nobody from my racing team would ever show up for club rides on carbon wheels, either.

Have you ever seen a shattered Zipp from a cat 5 crash in a road race? I saw some guy who was practically devastated over his crashed set... a young cat 5 guy.

I would wait until you are a cat 3 before opting for Zipps--- or any wheelset costing more than $600.

Finally, regardless of what Zinn has to say, if you have carbon rims, stick with tubulars. If you know how to glue, you won't lose a tire.

BTW- I increased my avg. speed by only riding with the wind.... and downhill. Works great for me. I easily avg. 25- 30 mph--- depending on where I ride.
Old 08-10-07, 04:37 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I have only seen 404s in the NY area. Can't recall EVER seeing 303s anywhere but on the web.
Old 08-10-07, 04:45 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassadamius
They are mutually exclusive when you're only planning on spending $2000. You can't have both for that price, or for whatever you're paying for the Zipps. The point is that the money spent on the Zipps can be spent on other things that will be much more beneficial.

Secondly, the Zipps make your bike faster. A power meter assists you in making yourself faster. It's just stupid to train on Zipps. Yeah, I know you train on Zipps. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Plus, Zipps need to go fast. Zipps cruising by at 18 mph just looks stupid.

But if I were to actually deal with someone that's going to get some good use out of Zipps in the OP's position, I'd say go with the clinchers. The braking surface will last longer (and you're used to it), you don't know how to mount tubulars (and a poorly-mounted tubular isn't your friend), and you aren't racing.
Incorrect.

The only $1200 expenditure (that's what I paid for my 1 year old Zipp 404 tubulars with tires on eBay) that could have potentially made me faster MAY have been a power meter. And that's questionable, since to actually derive any benefit from a PM you are compelled to wrap your bike weenie brain around PM training techniques and software. That might entail enrolling in MIT for an undergrad degree. I graduated from college in 1980.

On the other hand the instant you bolt those 404's to your bicycle it makes it easier to put your nose in the wind @ 30mph when you're bridging (or trying to hang on, or going off the front, or climbing a steep grade, etc.). I know because I regularly switch back and forth between heavier clincher non-aero wheels (and they're relatively light Ksyrium ES wheels by the way, Zipps are way lighter/more aero) and the 404s. They do work. Can any of those dismissing the value of Zipps say that? Or are they talking through their bike weenie asses as usual?

Last edited by patentcad; 08-10-07 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-10-07, 06:02 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by filtersweep
Most people seem to race on 303s--- but anyway.... have you ever been to a cat 5 race? I personally would feel like a jackass showing up for my very first race on a set of bling carbon wheels--- but whatever floats your boat. Nobody from my racing team would ever show up for club rides on carbon wheels, either.

Have you ever seen a shattered Zipp from a cat 5 crash in a road race? I saw some guy who was practically devastated over his crashed set... a young cat 5 guy.

I would wait until you are a cat 3 before opting for Zipps--- or any wheelset costing more than $600.

Finally, regardless of what Zinn has to say, if you have carbon rims, stick with tubulars. If you know how to glue, you won't lose a tire.

BTW- I increased my avg. speed by only riding with the wind.... and downhill. Works great for me. I easily avg. 25- 30 mph--- depending on where I ride.
In most of the cat 4 races I do about 1/3 or more of the racers have Zipps or some other type of expensive wheels. I see quite a few cat 5 racers with them as well. The only place I ever see anyone make fun of these people or give them a hard time is on the internet. Nobody ever cares in real life. I do hear people compliment them on their bikes and their wheels though.

Oh, and in this area (WV, OH, KY) it is rare to see 303's. Generally the only time I see people break those out is for climbing races. The 404's are by far the most common.
Old 08-10-07, 06:59 AM
toneb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you adjusted your computer to the new tire size (or have a garmin) that would account for a mph or so of your speed increase.
I have a Garmin Gps comp.
Old 08-10-07, 07:01 AM
tubescreamerx
climbing

Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Ridley Crosswind

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only place I ever see anyone make fun of these people or give them a hard time is on the internet. Nobody ever cares in real life. I do hear people compliment them on their bikes and their wheels though.
Good point. No need to make fun of them, since if they get dropped... well, it's pretty self-explanatory.
Old 08-10-07, 07:01 AM
badkarma
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You take this picture in an elevator?!? What's up with the wood paneling?
Old 08-10-07, 07:02 AM
tubescreamerx
climbing

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wait, why would you need to re-config your computer if you switch from 23 to 22 tires? Doesn't the circumference stay the same? It's just the width changing.
Old 08-10-07, 07:07 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by tubescreamerx
Wait, why would you need to re-config your computer if you switch from 23 to 22 tires? Doesn't the circumference stay the same? It's just the width changing.
The circumference changes as well. For example:

700 x 25 - 2105
700 x 23 - 2097
700 x 20 - 2086
Old 08-10-07, 07:09 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Good point. No need to make fun of them, since if they get dropped... well, it's pretty self-explanatory.
Ouch, didn't know it was that bad of a thing to get dropped. As far as I know everyone gets dropped from time to time. At least if / when I get dropped I will be able to enjoy riding some nice wheels.
Old 08-10-07, 07:11 AM
tubescreamerx
climbing

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ouch, didn't know it was that bad of a thing to get dropped. As far as I know everyone gets dropped from time to time. At least if / when I get dropped I will be able to enjoy riding some nice wheels.
Haha, well it's not really terrible to get dropped, if you're expecting or don't mind it. It can be frustrating though, and obviously some big spenders (there are always exceptions) might be embarrassed by being dropped if they expect huge results from their purchases alone.
Old 08-10-07, 07:21 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Haha, well it's not really terrible to get dropped, if you're expecting or don't mind it. It can be frustrating though, and obviously some big spenders (there are always exceptions) might be embarrassed by being dropped if they expect huge results from their purchases alone.
I've only been dropped once (that stuck) and it did suck. I never even thought about my equipment during that time. The only thing I thought about was the Pizza I ate earlier that week, the day I took off training because it was snowing, not sleeping well enough the night before, etc, etc, etc. It's amazing how many things can run through your mind once you get dropped. It's a truely miserable experience, at least for some one as stubborn as I am.

I never think poorly of someone else that gets dropped though. They are having enough problems without needing hearing anything from someone else.
Old 08-10-07, 07:59 AM
within

Bikes: Scott cr1. Scott Plasma.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Fly
Zipps are definitely faster than conventional 32-spoke wheels. However, the difference really isn't all that much, and certainly rather insignificant if you're not racing (real or otherwise). To objectively assess this performance gain, may I direct you to Analytic cycling's breakaway analysis page.

Given a rider mass of 65kg (143lbs), a bicycle mass of 8kg (17.6lbs), and a rider output of 350W (i.e. significantly better than non-sandbagging Cat 5), on a flat section, aero wheels will only net the rider 14.6m or 1.2sec per 2km (that's 50ft in 1.25mi). For the OP's 15mi loop, the aero wheel effect will only account for about 600ft or 14.4sec. That is with 350W of power. Reducing the rider output to a more normal 250W, the difference will be more visible. But it's still at 14.6m or 1.4sec.

Totally eliminating the drag of both aero wheels (i.e. magical elven wheels) at 250W of rider output will net 66m or 6.1sec per 2km (218ft in 1.25mi). This is about 1/2mi in the 15mi loop. The OP stated that with the Zipps, he increased his average speed from high-17s (let's say 18) to 19.2mi/hr. That's a difference of nearly a mile (or 3min) between the two at the 15-mile mark. Obviously, even with Elven wheels, the difference cannot come solely from the wheels.

Thus, the substantial increase in average speed from high-17s into the 19s cannot be solely attributed to the fancy wheels. In fact, from this analysis, it is clear that the improved aerodynamics of the wheels only offer a small advantage.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a set of DV46 myself, even though I know they won't give me any dramatic speed increases, at least not $1800 worth. However, they're cool as h*ll, goes well with the other carbon bits, and the wife unit will certainly accept this better than another bike. Like what someone else stated, it's your money, so don't let anyone tell you how to spend it.
Most insightful post regarding the op, imo. Further, run some numbers on analyticcycling.com regarding weight of wheel sets and time to climb. My set reduces wheel weight by over a pound and the results especially on steeper climbs is noticable. The results from analyticcycling seem too good to be true though?
Old 08-10-07, 08:17 AM
Speedie
>>> <<<

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote2
Yeah, go ahead and buy them. Hopefully I will see you on the road one day, so I can later brag to my wife about how I dropped some dude who had a bike worth four times mine.
You've got issues.
Old 08-10-07, 08:19 AM
Speedie
>>> <<<

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In most of the cat 4 races I do about 1/3 or more of the racers have Zipps or some other type of expensive wheels. I see quite a few cat 5 racers with them as well. The only place I ever see anyone make fun of these people or give them a hard time is on the internet. Nobody ever cares in real life. I do hear people compliment them on their bikes and their wheels though.
That's my experience as well.