Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Building up Gary Fisher frame with Cannondale Road Components

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 03:31 PM
skycastle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a late 80's Peugeot that I used for commuting and light touring. I never maintained the wheels and they both became unusable. For the price of buying a new set of wheels I bought a 1989 (most likely) Cannondale SR700 (Black Lightning) that has worked out really well.
Here's where my trouble comes in. The SR700 is not meant for touring or commuting and has no mounts for racks, and little to no clearance for fenders. I have an old Gary Fisher frame, the Hoo Koo E Koo, probably from the mid-90's. The frame geometry seems similar enough, and the Fisher has all the mounts I need. I put on the 700C wheel from the Cannondale and it had plenty of clearance.
My question is would it possible to completely strip the Cannondale and build up the Gary Fisher frame? I think the biggest issue would be the cranks and gears, for example, would I be able to switch out the 2 gear crank for the 3 gear one on the Fisher?
I will promptly post pictures and answer questions if anyone would like to help me out with some information/knowledge.
Old 09-04-09, 06:23 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think the biggest issues are going to be:
1. Getting the brakes to line up.
2. What are you planning to use for a shifter?
Old 09-05-09, 02:47 AM
Joshua A.C. New

Bikes: Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Gary is built for 26" wheels, which means the brakes won't line up, which is fine, because the levers would be wrong if they did, which wouldn't matter because you'll be using totally different bars, which wouldn't fit your shifters.

Might I suggest some Bontrager Road Warrior road slick tires for the Fisher and call it a day?
Old 09-05-09, 07:12 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Hello skycastle. well "in theory" this could be done but the possible cost may be an issue. as stated somewhat bluntly the shifters will be the biggest issue. your 'black lightening' is sountour? you would need to find suntour thumbshifters or barcons to replace the DT shifters. as for the wheel brake thing, while the aero road levers are not the best for cantilevers they would work but not have the greatest fee. you might possibly be able to mount "nonrecessed" style side pull (road) brakes on the fisher but this would simply be a trial and error process to see if it would work.

I think as Joshua said just put road tires on the fisher. if you need a bigger gear just swap the 28,38,48 rings for something like a 38,42,52 (the ones on the black lightening will not fit)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-05-09, 08:31 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Another option would be to use P-clamps to attach the rack to the Cannondale, use something like Raceblade fenders, and swap out the double crank for a triple or compact.