Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How often do you weigh yourself?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How often do you weigh yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 03:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It's just that easy, folks! Give up everything you love: eating, riding a bike, taking hikes, and replace it all with kale and resistance exercises!

I don't think anybody here is anti-cardio, and I don't recall anybody ever saying anything about giving up riding a bike or going hiking.
Old 04-03-18, 04:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

There are entire civilizations with extremely low levels of obesity that ate/eat tons of rice as a main staple. Go figure.

I love white rice, I eat a lot of it, it's my main source of carbs. My other carbs which I eat everyday are oatmeal and dried figs...Carbs are definitely not the enemy.
Old 04-03-18, 04:44 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I disagree with the above....I think it's very easy to loose and maintain healthy weight...Most people who are having trouble with weight loss fall into one of those categories listed below:

- bad lifestyle choices
- laziness and lack of self-discipline
- following "fad diets" and following wrong type of workout routines which do nothing for fat loss
- those who have medical issues or are genetically predisposed to extreme weight gain
- those who are trapped into a lifestyle which prevents them from exercising and eating right
Losing weight and maintaining it is not easy, as a rule. Most people will struggle with this. Discipline is not easy. Postponing gratification is not easy. What is easy is to call all those people who are overweight or obese lazy, weak-minded, ignorant idiots who eat too much and move too little, because, after all, look how easy it was for you to attain the body you wanted, right? If you can do it anyone can. Is that it? Pllllease!
Old 04-03-18, 05:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by KraneXL
A fundamental truth that cannot be denied. On that point I must disagree. In fact, that's exactly what they do. Typically almost all of those excess calories come from carbs. Fats are satiating, and proteins need to be chewed. Carbs, on the other hand, are the only macro nutrient that can literally be consume indefinitely.

I agree...It's a lot easier to overeat chocolate chip cookies and oreo cookies then it is to overeat steak and potatoes. It's a lot easier to create an energy imbalance by guzzling soda pop than drinking black tea.
Old 04-03-18, 05:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Losing weight and maintaining it is not easy, as a rule. Most people will struggle with this. Discipline is not easy. Postponing gratification is not easy. What is easy is to call all those people who are overweight or obese lazy, weak-minded, ignorant idiots who eat too much and move too little, because, after all, look how easy it was for you to attain the body you wanted, right? If you can do it anyone can. Is that it? Pllllease!

I realize that there are certain people out there who suffer from extreme obesity and it's very hard for them to loose weight....But for an average person who is only 10 or 15 or 20 pounds overweight it shouldn't be that hard, especially if they are a cyclist or a fitness buff.
Old 04-03-18, 06:01 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
How do you know if you're making the correct choices unless you weigh yourself?
Others have pointed out ways to tell, like how their clothes fit and how they feel. But I agree that weighing yourself is certainly a helpful way to monitor! Strictly speaking, it doesn't need to be done every day though, no matter what ones goals are. But of course it won't hurt. Personally, I just find seeing the same numbers boring.

I love white rice, I eat a lot of it, it's my main source of carbs. My other carbs which I eat everyday are oatmeal and dried figs...Carbs are definitely not the enemy.
Agreed, carbs aren't the enemy, but some are better for us than others.
Old 04-03-18, 08:17 PM
Altimis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The rice is causing him to retain some water which (temporarily) causes him to gain weight. It's not permanent and I don't think he implied it was.
Rice (carb) itself, does not cause water retention unless you were glycogen depleted or serious imbalance salt-potossium.

As expected, you will gains back glycogen weight that bounded to water intake when you eat carb but not fluctuate more than 1-2lbs (1kg).

The real villain here that cause water retention was low fluids intake (of course, water, not sugar drinks), high salt intake, imbalance electrolytes from sweats and not fill it up.

I eat carb a lot, I eat a tons of sugar, I loved gummy bear jelly, its so yummy. I downed 180g of sugars the throat and not notice any bloat at all. I also downed 1.5 gallon of water a day.

Its took me 2 months for my body to adjust for water intake that much after I been "low water intake" for years. There no overnight fix.
Old 04-04-18, 12:51 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Wearing white after Labor Day is one of the worst mistakes people make!

There is no such thing as too much data or too much consistency. The only potential flaw is not using the data to make good decisions, or misinterpreting the data (i.e. - I" I lost 2 lbs yesterday, I can quit exercisnig now!").
Really? Then what of generalizations, summaries and averages? When you ask someone how they are feeling do you really want or need to know every minute by minute detail?
The rice is causing him to retain some water which (temporarily) causes him to gain weight. It's not permanent and I don't think he implied it was.
Hence, one example against weighing too often.
The "enemy" no. But when carbs are consumed you do need to proceed with caution.
Originally Posted by Altimis
Rice (carb) itself, does not cause water retention unless you were glycogen depleted or serious imbalance salt-potossium.

As expected, you will gains back glycogen weight that bounded to water intake when you eat carb but not fluctuate more than 1-2lbs (1kg).

The real villain here that cause water retention was low fluids intake (of course, water, not sugar drinks), high salt intake, imbalance electrolytes from sweats and not fill it up.

I eat carb a lot, I eat a tons of sugar, I loved gummy bear jelly, its so yummy. I downed 180g of sugars the throat and not notice any bloat at all. I also downed 1.5 gallon of water a day.

Its took me 2 months for my body to adjust for water intake that much after I been "low water intake" for years. There no overnight fix.
Unless you're an olympic class athlete that's way to many carbs. Also, there is bloat (some show it a lot more than others). Just ask someone else for their objective opinion. Or better still, take a before/after photo.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-04-18 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-04-18, 06:13 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Back on topic, here's an interesting short read:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...aily/77584478/

And here are some less interesting longer reads:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4846305/
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1002/oby.20946

Summary:
"The findings from prospective, longitudinal studies provide evidence that regular self‐weighing has been associated with weight loss and not with negative psychological outcomes."

I interpret the 'not with negative psychological outcomes' to mean that it, in fact, doesn't mess with your mind.
Old 04-04-18, 06:50 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Hence, one example against weighing too often.
Not if you use a little common sense.
Old 04-04-18, 06:53 AM
OBoile

In my experience, I would say this depends on how many carbs you're eating normally. Increasing your intake tends to cause some temporary weight gain due to water. Cutting them causes temporary weight loss. Eating your normal amount causes no change.
Old 04-04-18, 06:58 AM
OBoile

Others have pointed out ways to tell, like how their clothes fit and how they feel.
Neither of these will tell you as quickly, or as accurately as a scale.
Old 04-04-18, 07:17 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Neither of these will tell you as quickly, or as accurately as a scale.

True, which is more important if ones weight regularly fluctuates up and/or down more than a few pounds. Mine does not. Do I still need to weigh myself every day? Maybe just on days I eat rice?
Old 04-04-18, 07:18 AM
OBoile

True, which is more important if ones weight regularly fluctuates up and/or down more than a few pounds. Mine does not. Do I still need to weigh myself every day? Maybe just on days I eat rice?
I never said you need to weigh yourself every day.
Old 04-04-18, 07:25 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Agreed. And the latest "fad" diet is low carb. A poster above claimed they can see it on the scale the next morning when they had rice the night before for dinner! Really? How many pounds of rice are they eating, and what is mixed in with it?
Please quote the original post that you refer. It makes it easier to discuss. In this case, you doubted my claim without quoting me. Don't be lazy.

Yes, that's what I implied. Thanks for clarifying it.

There are entire civilizations with extremely low levels of obesity that ate/eat tons of rice as a main staple. Go figure.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Case in point being the recent fall from grace of fish oil.

Yes, I dont eat just rice. I eat it with other food that has salt in it. But I love it so much that I binge on it once a week. Naturally, my weight would go up by 3-4 pounds the next day but then go back to its average value in a couple of days. Once I saw the pattern, I stopped worrying about the spike. And after some time, I stopped weighing myself every day.
Old 04-04-18, 07:42 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

I never said you need to weigh yourself every day.

Oops, "Should I weigh myself everyday" wasn't aimed only at you, and wasn't really meant as a serious question. Just trying to have a little light hearted fun here.

Originally Posted by Amitoj
Please quote the original post that you refer. It makes it easier to discuss. In this case, you doubted my claim without quoting me. Don't be lazy.
It wasn't out of laziness I didn't quote you. The claim seemed ridiculous to me, hence the reason I didn't want to call you out by name. But it still seemed worthy of mention, and comment.

Apparently I was wrong, and one can gain 3-4 pounds overnight from eating rice the day before. I learned something on BF today!
Old 04-04-18, 09:20 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Apparently I was wrong, and one can gain 3-4 pounds overnight from eating rice the day before. I learned something on BF today!
Still incorrect. What you have learnt is that there is a user on BF whose weight fluctuates if he eats a certain type of food. Anything other than that, I don't know where you are getting that from.
Old 04-04-18, 09:24 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
It wasn't out of laziness I didn't quote you. The claim seemed ridiculous to me, hence the reason I didn't want to call you out by name. But it still seemed worthy of mention, and comment.

Nobody (except you) said one can gain 3 to 4 pounds overnight.
Old 04-04-18, 09:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

A fundamental truth that cannot be denied. On that point I must disagree. In fact, that's exactly what they do. Typically almost all of those excess calories come from carbs. Fats are satiating, and proteins need to be chewed. Carbs, on the other hand, are the only macro nutrient that can literally be consume indefinitely.
The last time I tried to eat Ben & Jerry's was about two months ago. It was a day I had skied ~15 fast miles. (Nordic skiing is like a cross between running and road cycling.) I had burned off a lot of glycogen and wanted to put some sugar back into me to replenish it with. Anyway, I got through about 1/5 pint, I just physically couldn't eat any more. When I was a kid, I could eat table sugar by the spoonful, but I lost it somewhere along the way, too much sugar turns my stomach. (For what it's worth, I can do Haagan Daaz; Ben & Jerry's is just too sickly sweet.)

But most of the world doesn't seem to have that problem. So I shouldn't be drawing conclusions from my own experience here.
Old 04-04-18, 09:53 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Nobody (except you) said one can gain 3 to 4 pounds overnight.
Originally Posted by Amitoj
Yes, I dont eat just rice. I eat it with other food that has salt in it. But I love it so much that I binge on it once a week. Naturally, my weight would go up by 3-4 pounds the next day but then go back to its average value in a couple of days. Once I saw the pattern, I stopped worrying about the spike. And after some time, I stopped weighing myself every day.

Old 04-04-18, 09:53 AM
Seattle Forrest

Crap. Apologies.
Old 04-04-18, 09:55 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The last time I tried to eat Ben & Jerry's was about two months ago. It was a day I had skied ~15 fast miles. (Nordic skiing is like a cross between running and road cycling.) I had burned off a lot of glycogen and wanted to put some sugar back into me to replenish it with. Anyway, I got through about 1/5 pint, I just physically couldn't eat any more. When I was a kid, I could eat table sugar by the spoonful, but I lost it somewhere along the way, too much sugar turns my stomach. (For what it's worth, I can do Haagan Daaz; Ben & Jerry's is just too sickly sweet.)

But most of the world doesn't seem to have that problem. So I shouldn't be drawing conclusions from my own experience here.
I've managed to cut out all processed foods but I'm still addicted to carbs (fruit juices) and they remain my biggest challenge to date. I eat complex carb too but even they can add up.

To my credit I've managed to cut consumption of the juices in half (50/50 juice/water mix), but I haven't yet been able to cut them out completely. I've tried several times but just end up suffering extreme withdrawal systems and feel miserable.

As fir obesity in America, its not just the over consumption, but the sedentary lifestyle that goes with it. I've seen teenagers wait for the elevator to go down one floor.
Old 04-04-18, 10:19 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Context is everything. If your body is used to a high carb diet, some extra rice is only relevant in terms of the calories. However, if you are on a lower carb diet, throwing a dose of high GI carbs into the mix without some sort of activity to burn them off (i.e. a race or big ride) will cause you to gain weight for a day or two.

That's not the same as saying rice causes weight gain. However, the impact of added carbs to short term blood sugar and fat storage is well known.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-04-18, 10:24 AM
bbbean 

But for an average person who is only 10 or 15 or 20 pounds overweight it shouldn't be that hard, especially if they are a cyclist or a fitness buff.
And yet the western world is full of people trying to lose those 10-20 lbs.

If you have the self-discipline, metabolism, and body chemistry to be able to easily lose weight, I salute you. I can only assume you are a perfect physical specimen. But you should be able to look at the numbers and see that you are an anomaly. Weight maintenance is a highly complex and overdetermined phenomenon, and there are a host of behavioral and societal issues involved, to say nothing of individual genetics, body chemistry, etc.

Certainly the vast majority of people could lose weight with a few tweaks of their diet and activity level. But that's not the same as saying it would be easy.

Old 04-04-18, 10:26 AM
bbbean 

Really? Then what of generalizations, summaries and averages?
Interestingly, those are all made up of data. Its hard to generalize, summarize, or average an n of 1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.