Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best way to shorten my cockpit

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best way to shorten my cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 02:27 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
So 'everyone' agrees not to move the saddle forward to change bike fit, yet practically every frame manufacturer steepens the seat tube (moves the saddle forward) as their frame sizes get smaller, including Cannondale with the Synapse. What gives?

Asking rhetorically, of course
You’ve missed the point.

Old 07-21-18, 02:43 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Proportionally shorter, though, right? Which would mean that there should be some magical, one-size-fits-all, seat tube angle that gets nearly everyone in the right position relative to the crank (Cervelo at least used to preach exactly this BTW, and still might). The saddle is already coming forward due to its lower height for a shorter cyclist.
Well they don't want short riders with their saddles far forward on the rails. They just change the ST angle to keep the same center of gravity.
Old 07-21-18, 02:54 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by geezerwheels
in the interests of closure, here is my solution: Sparrow bars, by Soma. More aggressive than riding on the hoods; less aggressive than riding in the drops. Less variety of positions, for relief on long rides; less potential to tuck in out of the wind. Eventually I may swap the XC shifter and RD to Ultegra, but it actually works very nice, if not as quiet.

But for me, with some gnarly cervical vertibrae, that can cause my arms to go numb when I really tuck in, a very comfortable compromise.
well done! A nice looking cycle!
Old 07-21-18, 08:09 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by geezerwheels
in the interests of closure, here is my solution: Sparrow bars, by Soma. More aggressive than riding on the hoods; less aggressive than riding in the drops. Less variety of positions, for relief on long rides; less potential to tuck in out of the wind. Eventually I may swap the XC shifter and RD to Ultegra, but it actually works very nice, if not as quiet.

But for me, with some gnarly cervical vertibrae, that can cause my arms to go numb when I really tuck in, a very comfortable compromise.
I read the subject and my answer for 'best', was smaller frame.

However, I really like your solution!! I've had similar bars on a hybrid, and it is very comfortable!! I bet the comfort of that on a Cannondale frame is out of this world!
Old 07-22-18, 08:29 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Well they don't want short riders with their saddles far forward on the rails. They just change the ST angle to keep the same center of gravity.
Changing the seat tube angle is no different than sliding the saddle forward on the rails or using a non-offset post in terms of the change in center of gravity.