Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So what's the deal with chipmunks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So what's the deal with chipmunks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18, 06:53 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
In Bend OR the chipmunks have annual ‘chicken’ awards for the ones that have come closest to the bike wheels the most often!
I lived in Bend for many years. When I'd drive to the mountain bike trails, I'd always hit a few with my car, as they'd dart right out in front. The poor things made a loud pop like a balloon being popped.
Old 07-02-18, 08:50 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Last month I had to yield to a small bear cub while riding back to my campsite after showering. Thought it was a giant groundhog when it first walked out of the bushes and across the campground road. No sign of mom. Hope the poor thing wasn't orphaned. Clearly born this spring and way too young to be on its own. Of course, it was then time to start sautéing the shallots and garlic in preparation for dinner. I kept my head on a swivel.
Yikes!* Prolly would have moved a couple more miles down the road that nite!

I've come within slapping distance of two whitetails and bounced off the aforementioned groundhog (it seemed fine)!* Bike trails with their limited width and brushy sides can be hairy!
Old 07-02-18, 11:01 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
It appears to me that chipmunks and, to a lesser extent, squirrels as soon as they detect something dangerous from their point of view, they immediately start running in the same direction they were facing at the moment of detection. And because they detected the bicycle "threat", it means that bicycle was somewhere in their field of view, so they'll usually run straight to the bike or in front of it. One can pass a couple of inches behind a back of chipmunk and it'll not even twitch - if its back was facing a bike. Looks like that many of them don't perceive a sound of a bicycle as a threat. But if chipmunk was 10 feet away, on the other side of the road, somewhere in the grass, way out of harm's way but saw a bike approaching - you bet it'll start running right across the road to the bike. At least squirrels are often able to adjust their trajectory "mid flight" to avoid collision. Not chipmunks. These guys are always running straight.

Today was a crazy day. First, a squirrel decided to commit suicide in my front wheel. It was an unsuccessful attempt - it ran right to the middle of the front wheel but hit the rim with its nose and jumped away. Good, avoided "squirrel-in-the-spokes" thing. A couple of hours later a chipmunk crossed all the trail and got right in front of the wheel. Pop! Chipmunk blood spatter on my legs...
Old 07-03-18, 03:18 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Chipmunks also carry black leged deer ticks that are often infected with Lyme disease.
Old 07-03-18, 03:57 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Thread title sounds like the setup to a standup comedian's routine. So *what* is the deal with chipmunks, amirite?
And how about that airline food?
LOL !!!

Originally Posted by joelcool
I stopped swerving or braking for these type of critters years ago. I've hit two squirrels, a baby goose and another feathery critter committed suicide in my RD. I hardly felt the squirrels or the baby goose, and am pretty sure they all survived. Most importantly, I continued on my ride un injured.
I agree, they seem very resilient. Several years ago, a girlfreind and I were riding the bike paths through Callaway Gardens and a squirrel ran under her bike and her rear wheel and her full weight thumped right over it, hard. I thought the thing was going to be a tiny bag of splintered bones, but it took off running and up a tree, looking perfectly normal.

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Wow, i hope you’re joking.
Yes, definitely joking, I've never run into or over any Komodo dragons, and I'm sure they'd do considerably more damage than tweaking a rim, LOL!
But, years ago, in another life, me and a couple racing buds were riding through the jungle to the far side of Cozumel, and we spotted some critters crossing the road. When we realized it was a wild boar and her piglets, we came to a screeching halt, and got ready to beat feet the other way !!! A charging momma boar defending her piglets would do a serious number on some gomers clipped into road bikes !!
Old 07-03-18, 04:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yikes!* Prolly would have moved a couple more miles down the road that nite!
Nowhere to move except to undeveloped forest where I would have been more at risk. At least the campground had bear lockers. There are a lot of them in that part of NJ.
Old 07-03-18, 04:59 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
More than a few squirrel run ins. As to more interesting critters, had a javelin run out in front of me one Sunday bout a month back, and twice have nearly hit deer on the trail.
Old 07-03-18, 05:27 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Berg417448
Not always. I ran over a squirrel last week while keeping a straight riding course.
If I aim at squirrels I'll hit squirrels. I think it's a horrible idea.
Old 07-03-18, 05:45 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
If you slow down a bit and ride straight toward a squirrel, you'll never hit one.
Old 07-03-18, 06:08 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
...had a javelin run out in front of me one Sunday bout a month back, and twice have nearly hit deer on the trail.
Javelina, or javelin? I'd be okay with missing either one when riding.
Old 07-03-18, 07:02 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Javelina, or javelin? I'd be okay with missing either one when riding.
Javelina
Old 07-03-18, 08:32 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I once saw an elephant on my bike. How he got on my bike I'll never know.
Old 07-03-18, 08:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Not chipmunks. These guys are always running straight.:
That's not my experience, what chipmunks do is run to a point directly in front of my front wheel, do a complete 180 directly in front of it and run the other direction to where they came from. The 180 is too fast for me to see so I have no idea how they do it.
Old 07-03-18, 08:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Thread title sounds like the setup to a standup comedian's routine. So *what* is the deal with chipmunks, amirite?
And what's with their name? Were they named for a monk named Chip?
Old 07-03-18, 09:08 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,637 Times in 947 Posts
Years ago driving a route thru eastern Arizona in the predawn morning I ran over a lot of rabbits. They would sit by the side of the road until the last second and jump in a random direction. So half the time they were moving towards you half away from you. Then I started honking my horn when I approached. Hearing the horn most jumped away from the road.

The point is since then I've taken to making noise when approaching too close to small animals on my bicycle. Yelling, clicking whatever. Haven't ran over an animal with my bike in years.
Old 07-03-18, 09:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by locolobo13
Years ago driving a route thru eastern Arizona in the predawn morning I ran over a lot of rabbits. They would sit by the side of the road until the last second and jump in a random direction. So half the time they were moving towards you half away from you. Then I started honking my horn when I approached. Hearing the horn most jumped away from the road.

The point is since then I've taken to making noise when approaching too close to small animals on my bicycle. Yelling, clicking whatever. Haven't ran over an animal with my bike in years.

My experience is that won't work with chipmunks because you don't know they're there until it's too late. They also seem more triggered by motion than noise.

My favorite bike path encounter was with a porcupine. He was quite content to let me stand near him and watch for a while, very interesting critter, and not afraid of people for rather obvious reasons.
Old 07-03-18, 09:44 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Squirrels are wiry little bastards - if one gets stuck in your front wheel, it's likely that the wheel or fork will give way, not the squirrel - oh, he'll be dead, but you'll be on the ground
Old 07-03-18, 09:57 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
More than a few squirrel run ins. As to more interesting critters, had a javelin run out in front of me one Sunday bout a month back, and twice have nearly hit deer on the trail.
I had a javalina encounter last month. I came around a bend on a mup, and it was rooting around along a chain link fence. It saw me and ran down the fence line, trying to push through it a few times before it ran across the path into large wash.

Javalinas make me very nervous.
Old 07-03-18, 10:18 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Many animals have the same reaction.... even deer and cows. The bad thing about deer is when they stop and give an automobile the "deer in the headlights" look... drivers will most often swerve.... and the process repeats. Whereas hard braking and steering head-on toward the animal will give the animals instincts a fighting chance. The animals just aren't prepared for a predator (or pack or predators) that is trying to let them get away. They will try to outrun the attacker (while maybe looking for cover) and when they feel they can't get away... will turn to confront their attacker.
Old 07-03-18, 11:28 AM
Jock Crayaan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are they using chipmunks in airline food now? Damn, I always wondered what the hell that was...
Old 07-03-18, 01:54 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
We have mongoose here, but they tend to run straight across paths at high speed so I have never come close to hitting one. I think I've only seen one make a u-turn, but that was as it was just starting to cross. I've seen a couple of wild pigs (Pua'a) but they haven't tried to cross the road. These pigs are along roads I ride through the Army's training ranges; I guess gun/artillery fire don't bother them too much.

scott s.
Old 07-03-18, 03:10 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
If you kill a chipmunk, they'll make more.
Old 07-03-18, 04:39 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Many animals have the same reaction.... even deer and cows. The bad thing about deer is when they stop and give an automobile the "deer in the headlights" look... drivers will most often swerve.... and the process repeats. Whereas hard braking and steering head-on toward the animal will give the animals instincts a fighting chance. The animals just aren't prepared for a predator (or pack or predators) that is trying to let them get away. They will try to outrun the attacker (while maybe looking for cover) and when they feel they can't get away... will turn to confront their attacker.
Drivers most often just keep driving the way they were, and then sometimes hit the deer. Driving straight at them to scare them away is a bad idea, even worse than deliberately aiming at squirrels and chipmonks.

I hit two squirrels last fall within the span of a couple of weeks, the only squirrels I've run over in almost a decade over the same route. I didn't see either one of them. Of all of the squirrels I DID see first, I've never hit one.
Old 07-03-18, 05:46 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Drivers most often just keep driving the way they were, and then sometimes hit the deer. Driving straight at them to scare them away is a bad idea, .
Yeah... that's why I suggested: hard braking and steering head-on toward the animal will give the animals instincts a fighting chance.They need that chance to out-run you.
Old 07-03-18, 05:50 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
We occasionally get suicidal ground squirrels here, but the critters you really need to watch out for are the lizards, particularly in the morning.

The rattlesnakes sunning themselves on the mups can be an issue too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.