Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Zwift vs Peloton

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 01:49 PM
The next level

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Zwift vs Peloton

I recently busted up my wrist and am looking to get set up on a trainer. Comparing doing a high end trainer with zwift and some sort of monitor.
i came up with about $1200 for a trainer + cassette and a monitor of some sort. I could hit $2000 easy.
Pelaton is $2250 set up. Any insight? I plan on using this in the winter also. I have 6 wks of recovery starting yesterday. I need opinions to feel better about this expense.
Thanks
Old 07-21-18, 05:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You can certainly do Zwift cheaper. By bikes already have power meters, so when I broke my hand, all I needed to buy was a dongle to mirror my phone's screen to a TV. I used a magnetic dumb trainer. It was really the only thing that kept me sane. My sister-in-law does Peleton, I I couldn't do it. It's just structured workouts in 15 minute increments. With Zwift, you can just hop on and ride around the volcano for an hour.

I think you could do a full-out setup for under $1000, including a TV. Starting from scratch, I would do an Apple TV, a 40" or so screen, and put (most of) the rest on a trainer. Buy the biggest fan you can. I used a 3/4hp centifugal blower, still rode without a shirt, and still sweat buckets.

If your wrist puts you in the same condition I was in when I broke my hand, you'll want to figure out some way to support your upper body. I built a table that sat above my handlebars so I could sit comfortably and rest on my forearms, because my hand wouldn't bear any weight. Also be prepared to make a couple of trips to the bone guy to get the cast changed-- I went through three. After 8-10 days, the smell is really quite something. I broke my hand on 3/3/17 and got back on the road on 4/13/17. Off the road for 41 days. Had two useless fingers for about the next 3 months.

So believe me when I say-- I feel for you. Worst thing ever to happen to me. Six weeks without a right hand was not a good time.
Old 07-21-18, 06:40 PM
The next level

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
You can certainly do Zwift cheaper. By bikes already have power meters, so when I broke my hand, all I needed to buy was a dongle to mirror my phone's screen to a TV. I used a magnetic dumb trainer. It was really the only thing that kept me sane. My sister-in-law does Peleton, I I couldn't do it. It's just structured workouts in 15 minute increments. With Zwift, you can just hop on and ride around the volcano for an hour.

I think you could do a full-out setup for under $1000, including a TV. Starting from scratch, I would do an Apple TV, a 40" or so screen, and put (most of) the rest on a trainer. Buy the biggest fan you can. I used a 3/4hp centifugal blower, still rode without a shirt, and still sweat buckets.

If your wrist puts you in the same condition I was in when I broke my hand, you'll want to figure out some way to support your upper body. I built a table that sat above my handlebars so I could sit comfortably and rest on my forearms, because my hand wouldn't bear any weight. Also be prepared to make a couple of trips to the bone guy to get the cast changed-- I went through three. After 8-10 days, the smell is really quite something. I broke my hand on 3/3/17 and got back on the road on 4/13/17. Off the road for 41 days. Had two useless fingers for about the next 3 months.

So believe me when I say-- I feel for you. Worst thing ever to happen to me. Six weeks without a right hand was not a good time.
I thank you for your post! I smashed my wrist pretty good so yeah can't bear much weight. Two plates and ten screws yesterday.... Anyway thinking cyclops hammer and the screen I'm struggling with. May look at your suggestion.
Thanks much
Old 07-21-18, 07:32 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
FYI...Peloton is $2000ish for the hardware...and $40/month or so for classes.
Old 07-22-18, 12:11 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Could the arm rest pads for clip on aero bars help ...
Old 07-22-18, 06:57 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
FYI...Peloton is $2000ish for the hardware...and $40/month or so for classes.
Do you know of any apps to use for a spin class? There are a few free ones out there but not the best. Would be willing to pay a small subscription for a good reliable app...