Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Heartrate/Effort Question

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Heartrate/Effort Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 04:04 AM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Unless you're talking about track sprinters, I don't agree with any of that. Cycling is aerobic.
I still don't give up... All other things equal bigger leg muscle is faster. What about HR in that case?
Old 10-03-18, 08:06 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by chelvel
I still don't give up... All other things equal bigger leg muscle is faster.
No.

What about HR in that case?
Rise in heart rate correlates to the intensity of work being done. Larger muscle masses can enable increased intensity, and a higher ratio of lean muscle to fat will increase your metabolic rate, but other than that it will have little effect on your heart rate for endurance efforts.
Old 10-03-18, 08:31 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Great! I have a question. Faster = bigger leg muscles. More or less. Every picture shows that. OK.
Not when you have to go uphill. Heavier, stronger (than you need) muscles are just dead weight. Power/Weight ratio is key and, for a fit cyclist, increasing muscle mass will lower power/weight radio for any time period longer than 30 Seconds or so.
Old 10-03-18, 10:05 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Why no? Compared to his hands his legs are huge. If he didn't train his legs will be much smaller too.

I tried not to talk about adaptations in my question. Only about muscle mass. Only about muscle mass.
no. Wiggins actually cut a ton of weight and his legs got smaller to be able to win the TdF. Why would you ignore other adaptions when they are the major component of power on the bike?
Old 10-03-18, 10:20 AM
chelvel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. Forget it. Nothing to discuss. I will get an answer somewhere else.
Old 10-05-18, 07:54 PM
Lenkearney

Bikes: Cannon dale t700 touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow-

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'm 73 and can ride at 18 mph with a HR of 118 for hours. .
I AM INTIMIDATED! I am 68 (5'8" and 200 pounds) and average 14 MPH at an average hr of 134! You must be one fit dude!
Old 10-06-18, 12:24 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenkearney
I AM INTIMIDATED! I am 68 (5'8" and 200 pounds) and average 14 MPH at an average hr of 134! You must be one fit dude!
That's on the flat. But yes, I'm quite fit at least in summer. I also weigh 142-145 and have a fairly aero position. I also have a nice road bike with nice but inexpensive home built wheels and good tires.
Old 10-12-18, 01:36 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Great! I have a question. Faster = bigger leg muscles. More or less. Every picture shows that. OK. Lets not discuss when it is not true (greater efficiency, more nerves, etc.) . In many cases it is so.

Then... Muscles work on blood. For the same work muscle will use the same amount of blood. So there will be the same heart rate after muscle becomes bigger, than before training...

What's wrong with this picture?
Optimal muscle size depends on the nature of the event you're participating in. Shorter events with little climbing will benefit from having (relatively) larger muscles. Consider the typical leg size for a track cyclist (like Wiggins in his early career) vs a grand tour rider (like the photo of Wiggins above).

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that overall rider weight also matters. Someone with a lot of body fat would likely benefit from larger (or more specifically stronger) muscles than someone who is quite light. The reason I suspect this is that, as others have said, strength only matters up to a certain point. I suspect that for someone who is heavier (and thus has to push harder going up a hill) that point would be higher than for a lighter rider.
Old 10-13-18, 11:39 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Why no? Compared to his hands his legs are huge. If he didn't train his legs will be much smaller too.

I tried not to talk about adaptations in my question. Only about muscle mass. Only about muscle mass.
Huh. If that's the reason for your questions on leg size, i.e. that your legs are the size of your hands, then absolutely you'd be faster with bigger legs. When I'm fit, I have 21" thighs (full contraction), the same size as Arnold's arms. Those are not big legs, but they were plenty to move my 160 lbs. up hill quite fast, even better now that I'm down to 145 lbs., same leg size. However they are much bigger than my hands.
Old 10-19-18, 06:05 AM
chelvel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
When I'm fit, I have 21" thighs (full contraction)... Those are not big legs, but they were plenty to move my 160 lbs. up hill quite fast, even better now that I'm down to 145 lbs., same leg size.
Huh. Thanks for the info. My legs are much smaller BTW (yes much smaller) and I'm on a fence: start them grow or not. I think it's possible.

My question was about HR and leg muscle mass. If that muscle mass will grow what will be with the heart rate for the same work? I do not see why it will go down unless the heart will grow too.