Old 08-17-18, 06:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
The I-5 Bridge is not dead?

https://www.oregonlive.com/roadrepor...animously.html

Apparently after shutting down previous bridge proposals, Vancouver is now voting to move ahead. Maybe.

Now, if they could just take one of those century old bridges and convert it into a bike bridge, it could be one of the best bike paths in the world. Just imagine, a 38 foot wide bike lane.

Now, under a new administration, will the Republicans choose to fund this?

The proposals are very expensive, but I'm not sure I like the idea of a toll bridge. And, I can imagine the toll plazas becoming HUGE parking lots.
Old 08-17-18, 07:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You'd think that when one of them just falls apart. We used to have a trestle bridge going into Payette, Idaho that had sections of the edge with no roadbed at all, holes you could see the river through. dated to 1927 I think...wretched thing.
Old 08-17-18, 08:51 PM
CliffordK

I suppose I'd hate to see the maintenance bills on the current bridges. Maintaining them indefinitely would be expensive, but they certainly would be overbuilt for pedestrians and bikes.

There is a neat older crooked bridge in St. Louis. The first bridge in that area across the Mississippi which was converted into a bike bridge. I could imagine it would have been a horrible car bridge, but great for bikes and pedestrians.

But, obviously old bridges won't last forever without maintenance. An old train trestle across the Columbia on the John Wayne Trail was partly burnt in a fire and never repaired Now it needs about a mile of new deck.
Old 08-18-18, 12:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I-5 over the Columbia.

Portland, Starting the Tolls, First , building the bridge later,

... seems a Plan..
Old 08-19-18, 07:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Tolled Trolls?
Old 08-19-18, 08:13 PM
CliffordK

To prevent traffic jams from propagating through Portland... Perhaps do it like San Francisco...

Give Oregonians a free pass to cross to Washington... But, slam the Washington commuters with tolls.
Old 08-20-18, 09:07 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
You know they have a system for tolling people without a Toll plaza, actually they have several:
EZ PASS is the most common.
One bridge in Cali they just take a picture of your plate and send the owner a bill.
Its funny how some folks are all "NO FREE RIDE" and "PAY YOUR OWN WAY" until you mention tolls on a bridge then they are all "IT WILL BE A DISASTER!!"
IIRC Oregon was ready to go last time and Washington State legislature balked, lost 100s on Millions in Federal money too. I lived in Portland at the time and wasn't thrilled with the bridge (crappy design, ugly, increase congestion in Portland etc) but I was all "well OK I guess if both legislatures agree this is as good as it gest then that's what it will be." I don't live near it anymore and now my perspective is if Washington can figure out how to get back the money they lost from the feds last time then sure, but seeing as I don't use it I don't want to be paying for it. No free ride, you know.

For those not from Portland I5 bottle necks a few miles down the road- all those cars going over the bridge will just come to a stop there. There are alternatives to the Billion some dollar replacement (upgrades, re aligning the RR bridge near it and seismic retrofit) but the big money is all for rebuild or bust.
Old 08-20-18, 09:59 PM
CliffordK

Personally, I think the congestion problem in Portland is far worse than a single bridge crossing over the Columbia, and replacing the Columbia bridge will simply push the problem down onto the entire I-5 and I-405 corridor.

So, add say 4 or 6 more lanes crossing the Columbia, and pretty soon we'll see a major rework project of the entire freeway from Woodburn to Vancouver.

The bridge replacement will be the cheap upgrade.

We really need more bicycles.
Old 08-22-18, 10:23 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
IIRC, the reason WA killed off the prior nightmare bridge expansion was because it included light rail. Vancouver was determined to not have a light rail connection to PDX.

I suspect part of the reason for renewed interest is the growing understanding of induced demand and the role it is playing in climate change (an issue that is on most everyone's minds in OR and WA these days as we face summer after summer of historically foul air from fires). The road and car folks realize the window for freeway expansions is closing and they want to lock in the project before these things cease to be done. Now if only ODOT would get on board (not holding my breath).
Old 08-22-18, 10:49 PM
CliffordK

Hmmm...

We could try the road diet concept, and drop 3 lane freeways down to 2 lanes.
Old 08-26-18, 11:55 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

If you like people racing down a lane and forcing merging. This is what caused the fiery tragedy at the Cloverdale exit of I-84 between a tanker and van with Air Force airmen, killing the semi driver and three of the servicemen and damaging the bridge over the freeway so badly that it's closed and being replaced. There are three lanes to split traffic off efficiently to several exits along the way, and it works well when it's done right.

In this case there was reconstruction and not very good flow management by the contractor.
Old 08-27-18, 12:38 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Rollfast
If you like people racing down a lane and forcing merging. This is what caused the fiery tragedy at the Cloverdale exit of I-84 between a tanker and van with Air Force airmen, killing the semi driver and three of the servicemen and damaging the bridge over the freeway so badly that it's closed and being replaced. There are three lanes to split traffic off efficiently to several exits along the way, and it works well when it's done right.

In this case there was reconstruction and not very good flow management by the contractor.
Whew, I was thinking of major I84 intersections in Portland.

That does remind me a bit of the I85 fire and collapse, which they apparently repaired at a lightening fast pace.
Old 10-09-18, 05:59 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by starkmojo
You know they have a system for tolling people without a Toll plaza, actually they have several:
EZ PASS is the most common.
One bridge in Cali they just take a picture of your plate and send the owner a bill.
Its funny how some folks are all "NO FREE RIDE" and "PAY YOUR OWN WAY" until you mention tolls on a bridge then they are all "IT WILL BE A DISASTER!!"
IIRC Oregon was ready to go last time and Washington State legislature balked, lost 100s on Millions in Federal money too. I lived in Portland at the time and wasn't thrilled with the bridge (crappy design, ugly, increase congestion in Portland etc) but I was all "well OK I guess if both legislatures agree this is as good as it gest then that's what it will be." I don't live near it anymore and now my perspective is if Washington can figure out how to get back the money they lost from the feds last time then sure, but seeing as I don't use it I don't want to be paying for it. No free ride, you know.

For those not from Portland I5 bottle necks a few miles down the road- all those cars going over the bridge will just come to a stop there. There are alternatives to the Billion some dollar replacement (upgrades, re aligning the RR bridge near it and seismic retrofit) but the big money is all for rebuild or bust.
Other than the rail bridge, the I-5 and 205 bridges are the only bridges over the Columbia River for some 50+ miles in either direction. The current I-5 bridge is rate a 38. Out of 100. I fail to see where the are alternatives to a new bridge.

I cycle across the I-5 bridge almost every weekday. As a cyclist, it'd be real nice to get a replacement that had enough room for two bikes/pedestrians to pass eachother, and didn't include narrow chokepoints on the descent. I'd settle for a replacement that wasn't about to fall into the river.
Old 10-20-18, 02:43 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Originally Posted by Medic Zero
Other than the rail bridge, the I-5 and 205 bridges are the only bridges over the Columbia River for some 50+ miles in either direction. The current I-5 bridge is rate a 38. Out of 100. I fail to see where the are alternatives to a new bridge.

I cycle across the I-5 bridge almost every weekday. As a cyclist, it'd be real nice to get a replacement that had enough room for two bikes/pedestrians to pass eachother, and didn't include narrow chokepoints on the descent. I'd settle for a replacement that wasn't about to fall into the river.
Cool y'all figure out how to pay for it, go for it. But there is plenty bridge work to be done here in the rest of Oregon and I don't want to see all the states money get sucked into building a new bridge at the expense of the rest of the state.
And since you are from Washington and your legislature lost the Fed money your side of the river can make it up.

No free rides, right? That's what Vancouver keeps saying, and I believe them.
Old 10-20-18, 02:45 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Oh and lets not there was a retrofit/repair plan that cost less than was wasted on the CRC project. So for what we have already spent we could have had two working earthquake proof bridges and modified the RR bridge to avoid 99% of the lifts each year.
Old 10-20-18, 02:54 PM
CliffordK

Can light rail be connected to the existing RR bridge?
Old 10-27-18, 11:49 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Can light rail be connected to the existing RR bridge?
No. The Yellow Line's northern terminus is at the Portland Expo Center, a bit less than a mile upstream of the railroad bridge.

The current Vancouver city government is a little more friendly to light rail. I don't have any illusions about a new I-5 bridge being built before I retire, though.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-28-18, 12:24 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
No. The Yellow Line's northern terminus is at the Portland Expo Center, a bit less than a mile upstream of the railroad bridge.

The current Vancouver city government is a little more friendly to light rail. I don't have any illusions about a new I-5 bridge being built before I retire, though.
Amtrak runs from Portland to Vancouver. Light rail comes within 100 yards of the station.

The infrastructure exists to run a conner shuttle service.

Even going from Oregon City to Vancouver .
Old 10-28-18, 09:52 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Amtrak runs from Portland to Vancouver. Light rail comes within 100 yards of the station.

The infrastructure exists to run a conner shuttle service.

Even going from Oregon City to Vancouver .
The Portland light rail already runs almost to Vancouver on its Yellow Line route. This parallels Interstate 5 to its northern end. Putting the MAX light rail on the existing railroad bridge is a near impossibility- you'd need a radical rebuild of the MAX alignment plus it would put the MAX light rail on the opposite side of downtown Vancouver from where it needs to be.

Old 11-29-18, 03:05 PM
poppadaddio
El Hammermeister

Bikes: Black, black, red&white, and titanium. All 4 are from Bikesdirect!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It wasn't just Vancouver, it was much of the rest of Washington that didn't want to pay for Portland/Vancouver's light rail.
I can't imaging anyone from either state crossing the Interstate Bridge and not seeing the need for its replacement.
Old 11-29-18, 04:16 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by poppadaddio
It wasn't just Vancouver, it was much of the rest of Washington that didn't want to pay for Portland/Vancouver's light rail.
I can't imaging anyone from either state crossing the Interstate Bridge and not seeing the need for its replacement.
There was a question in politics that made me wonder about selfish vs selfless government.

If half the Washington population is in Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia, then why vote to pay for a little city to their south?

After all, Seattle already has the Sounder.

Personally, I don't do that commute frequently, especially since I'm pretty much car-free. However, I'm not convinced that building a bigger bridge will actually solve traffic congestion problems in Portland. Perhaps push the congestion problems further south a bit, but the congestion will remain.

I wonder if the current bridges would qualify for "National Historic Places". That would sure throw a monkey wrench into the project.

Nonetheless, I doubt we'll see any progress on this while Trump is in office.
Old 11-30-18, 05:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

They're talking about a cross river ferry too , probably a bigger one ..
than crosses from Westport Oregon, to Puget Island Washington,

Old 11-30-18, 11:37 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by fietsbob
They're talking about a cross river ferry too , probably a bigger one ..
than crosses from Westport Oregon, to Puget Island Washington,
The latest proposal is for a ferry from downtown Vancouver to downtown Portland- almost 20 miles. If they can do the trip in 40 minutes as they claim, it'll be faster than driving during rush hour. Otherwise, it won't help.

Old 12-01-18, 12:43 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by Medic Zero

Like the first Tacoma Narrows Bridge?
Old 12-01-18, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I suppose the 2 proposed terminal- landings must be widely separated , east - west*,
not north/south across the river.. to have a 20 mile sail.. Or Is..
*Portland side upstream on the Willamette?

Estuary, out here, wider.. that's bridged in 4 miles ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.