Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

PBP preregistration

Old 06-21-19, 12:54 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Despite finishing a full series already this year, I let the deadline pass yesterday without registering so I'm out. Maybe next time. I'll be watching to see how much fun everyone else has.
Old 06-22-19, 11:26 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Despite finishing a full series already this year, I let the deadline pass yesterday without registering so I'm out. Maybe next time. I'll be watching to see how much fun everyone else has.
This one wasn’t in the plan for me anyway, but my wife and I have been discussing going back in 2023. If all goes well, we’ll have a 3-year-old to deal with at that point.
Old 06-23-19, 04:57 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I just saw a notice that more spots were opened up. I checked with a friend, and she was able to get in.
Old 06-23-19, 10:56 PM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Yes, registrations have been re-opened until July 3 (or when slots are full, presumably):

Bonjour,

Dû à un nombre considérable de préinscriptions abandonnées (1500), ouverture des inscriptions à tous (avec BRM qualificatifs) jusqu'au 3 juillet.

Pour vous inscrire et payer votre inscription, connectez vous avec votre email et votre mot de passe sur https://inscription.paris-brest-paris.org/. Cliquez sur l'onglet "Inscriptions" puis sur "Paris-Brest-Paris" et sur le bouton "Inscrivez-vous !".

Hello,

Due to a considerable number of abandoned pre-registrations (1500), opening of registrations to everybody (with qualifying BRM) until July, 3rd

To register and pay your registration, go to : https://inscription.paris-brest-paris.org/ with your email address and your password. Click on "Registrations". Then click on "Paris-Brest-Paris" and on the button "Sign up now!".

L'équipe d'organisation du Paris-Brest-Paris Randonneur 2019
Old 06-24-19, 07:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I think a lot of people are disappointed they let more people register. I wonder if the numbers were really, really off.

Originally Posted by antimonysarah
Weird question -- the PBP website says that SR medals are NOT included this time around -- how do we get them if we want them?
I'm glad you pointed this out, I would have wondered if they shorted me. RUSA has always had them for sale after PBP for riders that didn't go. Since the SR medal changes every 4 years coinciding with PBP, RUSA lets the supply of the old medals run out and then starts selling them after they become available from the ACP. Or at least that's my interpretation of what they say on the website. I vaguely remember having to order the SR medal and then waiting for RUSA to get a batch in, but in recent years they are in the store

I always used to ride the Eastern PA series, and got a set of medals that way. But that hasn't worked for me the last few years. I kinda realized that I don't really want a huge collection of medals, they just sit around. But maybe I'll have a set every 4 years.

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-24-19 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 08:32 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I always used to ride the Eastern PA series, and got a set of medals that way. But that hasn't worked for me the last few years. I kinda realized that I don't really want a huge collection of medals, they just sit around. But maybe I'll have a set every 4 years.
I don't order all of them, but I have one from the first time I did each distance, and my first SR series. If I succeed at PBP I want to frame this year’s set alongside the PBP medal.

I have emailed the appropriate RUSA person, and will update this post if I hear anything.

Last edited by antimonysarah; 06-25-19 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 08:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I know a randonneur who had all his medals on a shelf. It collapsed. I have 4 awards I'm going for this year. Ultramega Randonneur, Randonneur 5000, RUSA Cup, and k-hound. That would also get me a mondial award. I am somewhat conflicted about buying any trinkets associated with these awards. But the SR series medals are really nice
Old 06-24-19, 10:26 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
I never thought I'd have a chance to register, and now I just did it. Jeez, exciting! But also, how the heck am I going to arrange all the logistics - accommodations, drop bags, etc etc - in 55 days? Everything seems booked to the max.

Is there a PBP Google group or some other place with resources?
Old 06-24-19, 10:55 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
What's everyone planning to do with drop bags anyway?
Old 06-25-19, 12:12 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I just found an airbnb right in Loudéac on the route for a 100$ for two nights... booked it as soon as I saw it. I wasn't originally planning to ride that far without sleeping but I think I will push on and hopefully get there at a reasonable hour... I figure if I can get some solid sleep in a quiet place for two sessions I should be able to manage with rests at the controls on the last leg. I imagine people will start putting up new listsings and also cancellations will start showing back up too, so it's worth looking once in a while.

I think I am going to use Baxter's drop bag service since you get the option of two bags in Fougères and Carhaix that you can access on the way out and on the way back in. Apparently they have them by their coach bus so it shouldn't be too difficult to find. It doesn't line up perfectly with my place in Loudéac but I am leery of using the travel haus drop bag after hearing some horror stories from people I talked to. I am also going to pack some vegan food in the drop bags so I have backup stuff, looks like there is a decent amount of vegan stuff at the French grocery stores. It will be nice to carry just one change of kit with me and have two or three others available in drop-bags along the way.
Old 06-25-19, 12:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I got decent price on flights last week. But prices go up as travel gets closer. Some days are cheaper than others. I decided to leave on the 13th so I could have a few days rest before the start. Airbnb seems to have places reasonably close to Rambouillet, possibly on the far side away from Paris, which makes them less attractive to a lot of people.
Old 06-25-19, 01:14 PM
clasher

Yeah, I just booked my flights too, flying out on the 14th and coming back on the 25th. Those days were cheaper and they are both direct flights so that's nice. I am planning on riding from the airport through Paris but the hotel is really close to the train line so I might just take the train or a taxi back to the airport when I fly home... I probably won't be up for another ride that soon after.
Old 06-27-19, 08:16 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Got this in email:

Dear riders

In order to satisfy the many change of departure time requests, we have added an option to change your departure time, as far as your frame plate number has not been allocated.
If possible, we invite you to choose a departure time with more free slots.

Regards,

The PBP organising board
Not sure if I wanna change, but I do notice my current time slot has negative available slots, so I'm not sure what they'll do to that...
Old 06-27-19, 10:01 PM
clasher

Yeah I took a look thinking earlier slots might have opened up for some reason but it seemed like there was just room in the later waves so I didn't bother switching.
Old 06-28-19, 10:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

that's weird that they allowed a slot to be overbooked. But I don't think it's really a problem.
Old 07-03-19, 07:59 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Looks like some of the people in my group have already started receiving their confirmation email with frame badge number. I haven't received mine yet though.
Old 07-04-19, 01:43 AM
alois

Bikes: Avaghon series 28; Fuji Touring 2016; Santos Travelmaster 2.8

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Looks like some of the people in my group have already started receiving their confirmation email with frame badge number. I haven't received mine yet though.
I have received my confirmation e-mail. Now it's up to me :-)
Old 07-04-19, 04:46 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

G198 Doesn't sound like the front row to me
Old 07-04-19, 08:37 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

I kept thinking mine ended up in spam, but it wasn't there. Kept checking my mailbox a couple of times during the day......

...and when it finally arrived, it showed up in spam!
Old 07-05-19, 04:36 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Got me a frame number. F, cause I'm special. Still undecided on my strategy. Ride fast/sleep lots, or go full on sleep deprivation. Maximize bakery stoppage or eat control food. Accept every beer offered or ride like an American e.g. teetotaler.
Old 07-05-19, 07:45 PM
clasher

I'm L-something... glad I am gonna be leaving early-ish. I hope to make Loudeac early enough to get a few hours of sleep since I booked an airbnb 800m off the course, and then get to Brest before 40 hours is up so that I have 50 hours on the way back and can afford a few bakery stops and more sleep at that airbnb. I will likely try to sleep at one of the other controls or sleep stops on the return. I have two drop bags with Baxters and plan on using both on the outbound and inbound legs. Gonna pack some cereal and soy milk in those drop bags.
Old 07-06-19, 03:59 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by downtube42
Got me a frame number. F, cause I'm special. Still undecided on my strategy. Ride fast/sleep lots, or go full on sleep deprivation. Maximize bakery stoppage or eat control food. Accept every beer offered or ride like an American e.g. teetotaler.
they have beer and wine at every control. I had a beer in 2011, I think at Fogeres. You have to climb out of that control, and my legs felt like lead. Then all of a sudden it was like rocket fuel. Not sure how much of it was the beer though. I'm definitely stopping at every open bakery and avoiding the food lines at controls if I can help it. Bakeries just don't take that long. I managed to hit 2 in 2011, I'm hoping to increase that number this time. Going to see if I can get food at boulangeries too
Old 07-06-19, 03:56 PM
clasher

I'm hoping to hit up the grocery stores, there seems to be some along the route in the larger towns.
Old 07-07-19, 09:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Do they have prepared foods at French groceries?
Old 07-07-19, 07:15 PM
clasher

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Do they have prepared foods at French groceries?
Seems like they do from what I've seen online... the bigger grocery stores look just supermarkets here do. There's a carrefour right near the start in Rambouillet I plan to check out on bike reg. day, and where I'm staying in Trappes has a bunch of different supermarkets very close so I'll have time to check out the supplies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.