Old 02-25-19, 11:42 AM
sembat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R+E custom bikes reviews

Hello all,

I am relatively new to biking. I have done STP and RSVP. I typically do one big ride like STP or RSVP and practice for those rides during the summer. I was looking to upgrade my 10+ year old road bike and trying to decide if I should go with a standard one or a custom bike. I have read great reviews about R+E custom bikes. However, I wanted to get some opinions from fellow riders.

What are some of the considerations that people take when going for a custom bike?

What would make it worth spending extra dollars for a custom bike from R+E? I think the derailleurs, brakes, spokes etc. that they would use will typically come from some standard companies just like a non-custom bike would use (eg. SRAM or Shimano derailleurs). In other words, what is it that R+E custom bike would offer that a standard bike fitted for one's body size doesnt offer? One thing I have read is customer service.

If you go for a custom bike, would it mean that changing components, replacing tires, tubes etc. would become more expensive compared to a non-custom bike like a Trek, Specialized, Cannondale etc.?

Thanks for your help and ideas.
Old 02-25-19, 12:35 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by sembat
Hello all,

I am relatively new to biking. I have done STP and RSVP. I typically do one big ride like STP or RSVP and practice for those rides during the summer. I was looking to upgrade my 10+ year old road bike and trying to decide if I should go with a standard one or a custom bike. I have read great reviews about R+E custom bikes. However, I wanted to get some opinions from fellow riders.

What are some of the considerations that people take when going for a custom bike?
i have two custom Stevenson bikes and *five* custom Rodriguez bikes (well, two belong to my wife.) I chose Rodriguez because they have a good reputation and the skill to make me exactly what I wanted, with the steel tubing that I wanted.

What would make it worth spending extra dollars for a custom bike from R+E? I think the derailleurs, brakes, spokes etc. that they would use will typically come from some standard companies just like a non-custom bike would use (eg. SRAM or Shimano derailleurs). In other words, what is it that R+E custom bike would offer that a standard bike fitted for one's body size doesnt offer? One thing I have read is customer service.
R&E does make a few of its own parts (their cantilever brakes for one) but you are generally right; They do use the same basic components that other manufacturers do. One reason I chose Rodriguez was that they make highly regarded travel bikes (with S&S couplers) that can be packed in a suitcase for traveling. We use ours regularly on our travels. They are so nice that we had similar bikes made for use here at home.

If you go for a custom bike, would it mean that changing components, replacing tires, tubes etc. would become more expensive compared to a non-custom bike like a Trek, Specialized, Cannondale etc.?
Nope. And in fact, a lot of the parts Rodriguez chooses for the bikes tend to be inexpensive. For example, they like to use Weinmann ZAC 19 rims, which are not fancy but are perfectly adequate, especially at the price. Of course you can specify better parts etc (and on the bikes we had built, I made the wheels myself.) In any case I have had no concerns at all about the parts R&E chose.

Last edited by Aubergine; 03-09-19 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-25-19, 12:39 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sembat
IMO, the "custom" refers primarily to the bike frame design - you should have a bike fit session, and then you can customize the frame dimensions to optimize the bike for your fit and preferences. You might also be able to specify frame material, lug design, custom paint colours, etc. You can also specify all of the components used to build the bike, but I think the primary benefit is optimizing the bike fit. I bought a custom bike from Waterford a year ago and have been very happy with it.
Old 02-25-19, 12:42 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 95 Posts

Our Rod travel bikes in Newcastle, England:

My go-fast travel bike getting ready for its suitcase in France:

Old 02-25-19, 12:53 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Also, there are lots of small custom builders making very innovative bikes. Check out Rob English, he does some amazing custom work optimizing bikes for long tours.
Old 02-25-19, 01:10 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Iirc, any custom geometry is $200 additional. That would be things like head tube angle, seat tube angle, chain stays, etc...One reason to go to Rodriguez is to have all the little things you wish you had all rolled in to 1 single bike purchase.

Smily is the bike fitter there. He really knows his stuff. They have 20 different "standard" sizes for each model. Each being customizable from there. Each model available with 26 inch or 700c as a standard option.

Each bike built to customer specification. Do some thinkin', spec some things out. Tell them what you want & like magic, it happens. Pretty reasonable way to buy a frame if you ask me.

Right now, the project is "Planetary Express" in Seafoam green & red accents. Ready in 12 about weeks due to some unusual specs from my end. Throughout the process has been eagerness, intrigue, and the words "We can do that" that would have other shops running away. I brought them the project as a long time customer to the repair shop. I feel I made the right choice in choosing to patronize the fabrication shop. Their work really speaks for itself.

Go in. Ask them to show you whatever "special" project is being built. It'll be beautiful. Most recently I saw a 26 inch wheeled, 48 spokes each bike for a 7 foot tall "massive" customer. With 220mm crankarms & a headtube as long as my arm. Their humble response was: "That's just what we do."
Old 02-25-19, 05:12 PM
sembat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for the insights @Aubergine @GailT @base2 . The info you have posted is very helpful. I will reach out to R + E
Old 02-26-19, 11:07 AM
jazzyrider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I would first determine if your body and fit will not work with the non-custom bikes (frames primarily since other items like handlebars, stem, crank arm length can be adjusted and go up/down according to size). Also take into account that custom bikes are more $$ and there is a wait period if it needs to be built according to your desire. If you wanted to walk into a store and be riding sooner rather than later then its best to choose non-custom. Spring/summer is coming up fast and I'd imagine you would want to go riding soon for upcoming events. While local bike building companies are great and handle excellent customer service, is this a bike you'll ride for another 10+ years, or is this something that you wanted to get better components? Bike manufacturers reliability and technology plus components have improved and honestly you can't go wrong with either custom or not.

Anyway, still some questions and things to ponder...
Old 03-09-19, 11:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I am relatively new to biking.
jumping into a hand made frame bike, I'd physically walk into R&E's shop in Seattle and talk to them ..
Old 03-10-19, 12:15 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
jumping into a hand made frame bike, I'd physically walk into R&E's shop in Seattle and talk to them ..
+1 Best advice here.

Ben