Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions needed for Handelbars and seats

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 02:38 PM
Trainingwheels2

Bikes: Tandemania Milano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

May I please have your suggestions? I have a Tandemania Milano (pictured in Tandem Switch Parts in my Profile). We would like to have the handlebars, brake handles and shifters switched to something a bit more standard (as pictured in my profile) ...the handlebars made a bit higher, which would necessitate changing the shifting controls...a more comfortable passenger seat.

Thank you for your time.

Robert
Old 04-22-19, 02:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
New here ? Hi..
you got nothing in there with only the 1sr post

thousands of which saddle threads generally you have to sit on the saddle not someone's opinion

its your hips not mine sitting on the saddle

I would go to a bike shop see what saddles they have, and sit on them..

bars hold them in your hands .. stoker might like a suspension seat post..

since they cannot see the bumps ahead.. to get off the saddle in anticipation..
Old 04-22-19, 03:41 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
I could not see any pictures of your bike, however, if you are looking for traditional road bike drop bars, I prefer wide (46cm) compact bars. I was having a challenge finding compact bars in that width and ended up buying a set of FSA gravel bars. The drops are flared out to sides more than standard bars. They gave me the width in a compact format and they are very comfortable to me.

My stoker prefers flat bars so I put on a straight MTB bar for her.

As the first responder stated, you can’t rely on seat opinions, However, you will have a far greater chance of success if you get measured for a saddle and buy one in the width that matches your measurement. A good bike shop will have one of the seat measuring systems and will work with you via try and swap to find the right saddle for each of you.
Old 04-25-19, 09:22 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Trainingwheels2
May I please have your suggestions? I have a Tandemania Milano (pictured in Tandem Switch Parts in my Profile). We would like to have the handlebars, brake handles and shifters switched to something a bit more standard (as pictured in my profile) ...the handlebars made a bit higher, which would necessitate changing the shifting controls...a more comfortable passenger seat.

Thank you for your time.

Robert
Hmmm. I don't know what YOUR Milano looks like, but I do know what a 'standard' Milano looks like. As pictured, this is a pretty conventional configuration, if you want something different it is you that is going against what is generally considered 'standard'. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, different bars and controls won't get you there, unless you can get much more specific about what you need. If you want higher handlebars then you need a different stem. One with a higher angle from horizontal. Maybe you need a 'stem raiser'. You have entry level 'brifters' which combine braking and shifting in one unit. About your only alternative is Tektro brake levers along with 'bar end shifters' available from a number of different manufacturers. What is your issue with the Sora brifters? As already mentioned, saddle comfort is HIGHLY personal. Impossible to even begin to give suggestions. That's never stopped me before: stoker comfort is important but ... how to put this kindly ... grrrr ... with stokers the issue is clouded by sheer inexperience. It's possible with more miles the stock seat could be satisfactory, but in the meantime I suggest looking to a female specific model from Terry. Anything with a center cut-out. Call it good. Do not go down the rabbit hole of trying a dozen different models. Work on dialing an ideal seat height and nose angle. Dead level to start, not more than two or three degrees nose up. Avoid any amount of nose down if at all possible. About a 45 to 55 degree lean forward. Bolt upright is not good. More than 55 degrees is not comfortable. It should be impossible to reach the ground while seated. This also makes it hard to keep feet securely on the pedals without some kind of retention device. I recommend PowerGrips for this. Not nearly as intimidating (or expensive) as 'clipless pedals and cleats'. Check back. Let us know how you are doing. Good luck.
Old 04-25-19, 12:53 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Stoker bars like these: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/profile-design-t2-wing-base-bar?skid=PRD0021-BK-S44CM&CMP_SKU=PRD0021&MER=0406&CSPID=0914&mr:trackingCode=D5147E89-C9E3-E211-B197-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=185088406963&mr:keyword=&mr:matc h=&mr:tid=pla-383868731175&mrloc=9012562&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=383868731175&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc014&CSPID=0914& utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=_k_EAIaIQobChMIzMfjl_Lr4QIV4v_jBx1zMwcTEAQYASABEgK1PPD_Bw E_k_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzMfjl_Lr4QIV4v_jBx1zMwcTEAQYASABEgK1PPD_BwE
were very comfy in my years as a stoker. They give you the flat part and the outer grips as options. I now have flattened areas on all
my bars now. Stoker 'may' need a set forward seat post (ie a set back seat post that has saddle rail grippers that allow the post to be rotated
180° so as to move the seat forward ~3cm.) Thomson is one such, not all set back posts can be used in the 180° rotated position due to rail
gripper design. The pilot position may need a more upright stem and flattened bars in the pilot position are no less nice than for the stoker.

Here is a dirt cheap, probably Chinese drop variant flattened pilot handlebar: https://www.amazon.com/UPANBIKE-Handlebar-Aluminum-31-8mm420mm-Horns/dp/B07CSK3P9N/ref=asc_df_B07CSK3P9N/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241987970787&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9206424015380701822&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hv qmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012562&hvtargid=pla-466271890236&psc=1

Saddles: wow really hard problem, I have used saddles that were fine for 30 miles and bad at 50miles. While adjusting to the stoker
position I went through 6-8 saddles courtesy our local dealer but we still found that standing up and coasting for 50-200 yds was needed
to reduce saddle discomfort even with comfy saddles every 5-10 miles on 50 mile rides.
Stokers can't wiggle around like you can on a singleton. Shorts made a difference
as well and the $40-60 Performance shorts that were fine on the singleton at any distance upto 100miles were inadequate on the tandem.
I moved upto Pearl Izumi in the $100-120 range to find 'tandem rated' (by me) shorts.

Last edited by sch; 04-25-19 at 01:02 PM.