Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Nutrition during century ride, does this look excessive?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Nutrition during century ride, does this look excessive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 02:24 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
First I never stated that, I thought i was pretty clear when I said take up(not consume) considering the audience and that I stated a range with an about qualifier. Maltodextrin=glucose. At this point you are splitting hairs considering the nature of my suggestion. Your anecdote that another racer consumes 400 cals/hour doesn't really help your cause because you haven't shown that its actually beneficial to consume that much or that there is a difference in that range considering the range of CHO metabolism in Jeukendrop's actual study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18202575
Well I'm not going to do a study on the topic for the case of argument. The information I referenced pointed out your range was not really an absolute, which you agree with it sounds like - a person can absorb more than 300 calories / hour. If many can absorb 360, some certainly can consume more seems to be a reasonable assumption. I just wanted to make sure people reading the thread didn't think there was some magic in limiting ones calorie consumption to 300 calories / hour which is what I thought you were saying. Enough said, moving on.

Last edited by srode1; 05-02-19 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-01-19, 02:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
2 PB&J sandwiches cut into quarters plus maybe a little something else at the 1/2 way point should do it
Old 05-02-19, 05:54 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Maltodextrin is bad for your gut health, it will destroy all the good friendly gut bacteria and mess up your digestion, I would never put that crap inside my body.
Old 05-02-19, 06:05 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Maltodextrin is bad for your gut health, it will destroy all the good friendly gut bacteria and mess up your digestion...
How long does that take? I'm on my second fifty pound bag in three seasons and haven't noticed anything yet.
Old 05-02-19, 07:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Maltodextrin is bad for your gut health, it will destroy all the good friendly gut bacteria and mess up your digestion, I would never put that crap inside my body.
Wow, where'd you read that? Have you read about the 12 serious side effects of eating tomatoes? There's a lot of information out there . . .

I'm going on 20 years using it for bike food. I even use it for breakfast the mornings before big rides. Everything's working just fine. It's just long-chain glucose molecules. Nothing unusual. One of the big pluses of malto as an athletic fuel is that it is not sweet. You can drink it all day and not get tired of it. The other is that the long chain molecules have a lower osmolality in the stomach than do simple sugars. This allows it to pass more quickly across the stomach wall. Beta Fuel used by Team Sky among others is simply maltodextrin, fructose, and electrolytes. So far Team Sky seems to be doing just fine. I can't burn the calories like Team Sky, so I get along fine without the fructose.
Old 05-03-19, 01:48 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Maltodextrin is just a bunch of glucose sugars stuck together with a weak bond. Gtfo with that gut health bs
Likes For redlude97: