Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Durham, NC

Old 06-26-19, 01:09 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Durham, NC

I'll be relocating from western Wisconsin to Durham, NC in early August, and will be there for about a year. I'm mainly looking for tips on good road cycling routes, group road rides, and so forth out of Durham. If there are any significant hills, point me toward them and I shall climb!

I am also interested in any tips on winter conditions in that area, as I commute year round (currently, in Wisconsin). In the past, I've commuted in Alabama, so I know how to deal with summer. Is Durham and the Triangle an area where I will need studded tires and ski goggles, or is a rain bike sufficient?
Old 06-27-19, 05:54 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Welcome to Durham. I'm sure you will find our vibrant cycling community to your liking. I'll direct you to do some internet explorations for Carolina Tarwheels, Bike Durham, Durham Bike Coop, and the East Coast Greenway among many other local organizations. Significant hills? No, not many. They are either gradual and long or somewhat steeper, but short. Mountains to the west so you can get your fix there.

I, too, was an everyday, all-weather commuter before I retired last year. Coming from WI, I'd say that you will find our winter conditions somewhat mild. I would sometimes contemplate studded tires for the 3-4 days a year where they would provide some advantage, but never thought it would be worth the switch. Low temps often in the 20s but not frequent in mid-teens and below. Low 30s and rain are the worst, but I could usually adjust my schedule to minimize most of it. I would usually ride on the first few snowy days but if we had a lot of snow, I would usually just walk to work. Riding in the snow was not the issue, it was the plowing that narrowed the roads increasing the car density that I didn't like. We don't have snow removal, just move it to the side onto bike lanes and sidewalks until it melts. I rarely used eye protection for the cold, but sometimes for sleet. Your rain bike will be perfect.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 07-06-19, 01:21 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Welcome to Durham. I'm sure you will find our vibrant cycling community to your liking. I'll direct you to do some internet explorations for Carolina Tarwheels, Bike Durham, Durham Bike Coop, and the East Coast Greenway among many other local organizations. Significant hills? No, not many. They are either gradual and long or somewhat steeper, but short. Mountains to the west so you can get your fix there.
Great info - thank you! It looks like the Carolina Tarwheels have some nice group road rides - with the elevation profiles, I might even be able to hang with the faster guys/gals. I will not tell them that I'm a Michigan State fan.

I've got my winter kit packed up and am looking forward to some great year-round riding!