Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday frame crack?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bike Friday frame crack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-19, 12:53 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 182 Posts
Bike Friday frame crack?

I noticed today that my Bike Friday has developed two gouges on the mainframe. I don't know if they're just nicks in the paint or if they're actually cracks. God forbid these are cracks, but if they are, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a replacement frame since this one is pretty old. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with these issues?
Old 07-03-19, 12:58 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Oh yeah, I also don't know what model this is; NWT perhaps?
Old 07-03-19, 01:55 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Call Bike Friday. Are you the original owner? If so, the frame "may" be covered under warranty, if not, they can repair it at a very reasonable price. Steel is real =). they will probably ask you to send pictures. Don't freak out, it is not fatal but it does look like cracks.
Old 07-03-19, 02:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Bike Friday has powdercoated all of their frames, I think from the very beginning.

Powdercoat is thick and soft.

Your questionable "cracks" are in the middle of the tube near the water bottle cage which should be a reasonably low stress area.

Looking at the mark on top, it looks like it has folded over edges like most of the other scratches nearby, and I'm pretty sure it is just paint deep.

The scratch on the side is a little more ambiguous, but it also appears to just be through the powdercoat.

You could use an electric wire brush to clean a few inches of powdercoat off, but that would be excessive.

If you wish, for peace of mind, take a sharpee, or some kind of paint, and mark the ends of the scratches, then take a high res photo of them....

Then ride the bike for a few months and see if anything has changed.
Old 07-03-19, 03:19 PM
philpeugeot 

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I'm not the original owner, so this frame probably isn't covered under a warranty. The good news is that I took it to a local bike shop, and the owner happened to be an ex-Bike Friday employee. Took a look at the scratches and said that it was most probably scratched paint, which was good to hear. Still, I think I'll air on the side of caution and send photos to them for evaluation.
Old 07-03-19, 03:42 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Measure the "crack". Ride gently, gradually build confidence, and measure after use. Steel usually fails slowly while aluminum can be fast. That is what I would do.
Old 07-03-19, 04:31 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by philpeugeot
I noticed today that my Bike Friday has developed two gouges on the mainframe. I don't know if they're just nicks in the paint or if they're actually cracks. God forbid these are cracks, but if they are, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a replacement frame since this one is pretty old. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with these issues?
use a sandpaper to sand the paint of to see if its a crack or just a frame scrap.
Old 07-03-19, 09:13 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by philpeugeot
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I'm not the original owner, so this frame probably isn't covered under a warranty. The good news is that I took it to a local bike shop, and the owner happened to be an ex-Bike Friday employee. Took a look at the scratches and said that it was most probably scratched paint, which was good to hear. Still, I think I'll air on the side of caution and send photos to them for evaluation.
I think that's the smart move. While you're at it, ask them how much it would cost to get a repaint. You're close by (I had to send mine) and as I recall the cost was extremely reasonable. Plus, they'd get a good look at the frame after they blast it clean.