Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

[Brompton] Fitting Rear rack with L Mudguard

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-16-19, 11:00 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts

Hi there.
i dont know why brompton dealers says you couldnt fit rear rack with L mudguards.

this save me up 250 reais(£50)
Old 07-16-19, 11:04 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
Hi there.
i dont know why brompton dealers says you couldnt fit rear rack with L mudguards.
because you can't - it does not work. There is a reason why the rack version is using a different mudguard. Obviously one can make it work by getting rid of the stays and the roller wheel of the L-version, closing the existing holes and drilling other holes in the necessary places but as there is a kit and a mudguard costs next to nothing it is not worth the hassle, the more as a modified one will never look as good as a factory fitting one and the time for the work involved is worth way more than a new mudguard would cost.
Old 07-16-19, 11:09 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Originally Posted by berlinonaut
because you can't - it does not work. There is a reason why the rack version is using a different mudguard. Obviously one can make it work by getting rid of the stays and the roller wheel of the L-version, closing the existing holes and drilling other holes in the necessary places but as there is a kit and a mudguard costs next to nothing it is not worth the hassle, the more as a modified one will never look as good as a factory fitting one and the time for the work involved is worth way more than a new mudguard would cost.
its done as above pictures states.
dowsnt look that bad either.
Old 07-16-19, 11:09 AM
berlinonaut

Now that I see the pics: The rack that you are using is not the factory rack which the Brompton dealers possibly referred to (as did I). And judging from the way the mudguard stays are running we may soon see a thread "ratteling noise on my Brompton - why?" The muduard for a Brompton with rack costs 10 £- not 50 £.
Old 07-16-19, 12:38 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Originally Posted by berlinonaut
Now that I see the pics: The rack that you are using is not the factory rack which the Brompton dealers possibly referred to (as did I). And judging from the way the mudguard stays are running we may soon see a thread "ratteling noise on my Brompton - why?" The muduard for a Brompton with rack costs 10 £- not 50 £.
i see you judge a lot in foruns and other peoples matters with nose up and arrogant i know all beliefs.

here these rack costs a lot, so there is no ppoint come to english price from brilliant bikes as its not assessible even for you, who i assume is a german nacional.

So, its more a solucion for a overseas owners that to a over privilleged german citzen.

here is the link for regular prices os rack and mudguard:
Conjunto do rack completo Brompton - QRACKA-BK

r$695,00 = £ 149,00

For a more price concerned costumer we route to ali express to all in one solution(mudguards rack and easywheel)
r$190,00 = £ 40,68
Old 07-16-19, 12:46 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

another m3l with a rear rack retrofitted.
Old 07-16-19, 01:31 PM
berlinonaut

What's your point? If you ask a Brompton dealer if you would need a new rear mudguard when you fit a rack to your L-Brompton he will obviously state "yes" and obviously say that the mudguard from the L-model does not work. Because the rack he sells is the rack made and offered by Brompton and for this this is true. You claim he did give you wrong advice, so he is basically a liar. Did you tell him that you wanted to use a rack of a different maker and did he insist on his opinion then? If not both is the case he is not a liar or incompentent but you tricked him (just as you tricked me with your first post in the thread that was lacking the pictures when I answered to it initially) or you did ask a question that was lacking context.

You could btw. just have asked him the other way round: I want to replace the existing rack on my Brompton (i.e. because it is broken or you currently do neither have mudguards or a rack). Do I need the mudguard from the L-Version? He would have stated "no" - and would have been wrong. What a liar! Because both of the racks that you are using are lacking the support for the mudguard that the original one offers. Which means you need a new mudguard. And even worse: You need a mudguard for a Brompton w/o a rack to be able to have mudguards on a Brompton with a rack. How confusing is that? And worse: The mudguard for the L-version is more expensive as you need the mudguard stays! Bummer.

So surprise: If you modify your bike beyond what is offered by the factory you are on your own and have to take responsibility yourself and to figure out what works and what not. You cannot make Brompton responsible for 3rd party modifications. Is that what you were complaining about?

So you've made it - you fitted a rack (rather two racks) using the mudguards from the L-version. Sensation. Is this an achievement? Maybe. Would I personally buy one of those racks BECAUSE I would not need a new rear mudguard? No way. To me the cost of the mudguard is not very relevant, the proven track record of the Brompton rack itself and it's combination with the Brompton is. So the relevant question is: Are these racks of equal quality and endurance? For the first one I'd assume issues - with the mudguard stays plus one could assume issues with heavier loads long term due to the rack stays and the way they unite before the rear axle. But this is speculation - time will tell and maybe heavy loads are not your intention. The upper part of the rack seems to be more or less a clone of Brompton's early rack version from the late 80ies, so this part will probably last.
For the second rack there are again noise issues with the stays to be expected. Plus due to the lack of a support stay in the middle and the whole construction of it stabilityvise it does not look very convincing to me. Looks more like a support for more convenient rolling than like an actual rack. If that's what you need and intend: fine. If not you take the risk of having to buy twice which is more hassle and more expensive than buying once properly.
But if the main purpose of the whole rack adventure was to proof that you are able to fit on a Brompton with L-mudguards you succeeded. Congarats.

Regarding the price of the mudguard: You called 50 British Pounds (which obviously sounds like a British price). Indeed I am from Germany but I am in the uk from time to time and tend to buy Brompton parts over there if need and opportunity have a fit. The naked L-mudguard w/o stays and the roller wheel costs 16,50€ in Germany list price and I assume a similar price for the R-version. So it is more expensive than in the uk but not a fortune.
The 695 Real that you are referring to is not for the mudguard but for the whole rack kit - the mudguard alone seems to cost 90 Real which cannot equal 50 British Pounds if - as you claim - 695 Real equal 149 British Pounds. So the cost for the rear mudguard seems to be rather 19,20 British Pounds than the 50 Pounds you claimed above they would cost....

Regarding Ali-Express: Obviously things are cheap there but sometimes they are expensive for what they deliver. If they are worth the money depends from the quality and in many cases on cannot judge on that beforehand. So the cheaper price comes at a risk. If you are willing to take it - fine.
Old 07-21-19, 12:39 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Now gentlemen,
Rio, Berliner has issues with longer screws and his prose is , as you note, as corrosive as whatever you have been parking next to.
Ah, the salt sea air.
I need to send him a beer and a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. as well as my thanks. LOL
He prolly also takes issue with your brush paint frame, but it really does eliminate the Krylon overspray issue.
Ride on and thanks for showing how it can be done
I need a rack for smoother rolling and the https://mygorack.com/ is $250 which even for a Brommie fanboy like me is tres cher.
For the same $ I could use the Burley Travoy
or a host of turbaned ruffians portaging my palanquin
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 07-21-19, 01:30 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Remember, there's an option to put someone on the "ignore" list,...it's a wonderful feature I've grown to appreciate.
Old 07-21-19, 02:23 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
It bites all ways
Old 05-18-20, 08:03 PM
steph el Zeb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it is possible and it is easy to fit a rack with a L type fender

I just fitted a Nitto BM4R on a 6L Brompton with the original "L" fender. I just removed one of the three set of wire that support the fender, because the screws that attach the rack and fender supports to the frame are a little bit short.
It is very easy to do and there a no specific issue.