Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Pearland (TX) Cycling Club Member killed

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 10:43 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

According to the published story by A.M. Kilday in The Houston Chronicle on February 5, 2006, "The driver of the SUV was passing the group of cyclists when Dao {the victim} began to turn left onto a private road, said a spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety in Texas City. The SUV, driven by a 25-year-old woman, hit Dao about 8:45 am, the DPS spokesman said."

Making a left turn from the right side of a roadway is a leading cause of cyclist death (11% of fatalities). This type of crash is entirely preventable.

We must always hold our line steady until we are ready to change lateral position. Then we need to look over our shoulder to see if where we want to go is clear, then we need to use hand signals, verbal communications, and eye contact to signal our intent and negotiate for a new position. It doesn't matter whether the opposing vehicles are bicycles or motor vehicles, we should treat all vehicles the same. Even if Mr. Dao had turned left in front of another bicycle, the resultant crash could still have been quite
serious.
Old 02-05-06, 12:12 PM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No good.

But the fact that it was a 25 year old woman and driving an SUV shouldn't enrage anyone here, as it seems to me it wasn't her fault. One thing I like about big SUVs is you can hear them nice and loud when the engines are gunned to overtake.

One more sad reminder that we need to pay attention as we are extremmely vulnerable.
Old 02-05-06, 08:52 PM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indeed, those Priuses can be really bad because they're so quiet.

Originally Posted by jakub.ner
No good.

But the fact that it was a 25 year old woman and driving an SUV shouldn't enrage anyone here, as it seems to me it wasn't her fault. One thing I like about big SUVs is you can hear them nice and loud when the engines are gunned to overtake.

One more sad reminder that we need to pay attention as we are extremmely vulnerable.
Old 02-06-06, 03:25 PM
kf5nd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commentary from a friend in Pearland Cycling Club:

"I was out of town when the accident happened. The Pearland Cycling Club is a big club. I didn't know Tony well myself. However, he was an experienced cyclist, at least in terms of physical training. He usually rode with the fast guys.

Sometimes groups sprint toward's Froberg's Produce along CR190. I don't know if that was going on when the accident happened, but from the description of how the group was strung out, it wouldn't surprise me. Tony was hit turning left into Froberg's produce.

The simple fact is that he turned left in front of the passing SUV. It had just passed a group of four riders. There was a separation of about a block between that group, and two riders off the front - Tony and one other rider. Tony was about 20 feet in front of the rider (a med student) who was with him. This was a totally preventable accident, and even if the motorist was speeding, had Tony simply looked over his shoulder, this wouldn't have happened. (I saw this kind of cycling behavior frequently when I was riding regularly with the club. Its one reason I haven't ridden with them for several months now.)

Tony suffered horrific injuries and there was never any chance of survival.

The club will have a memorial ride as part of our regular ride this Saturday if the weather cooperates. We will do our regular ride start, regroup at Highway 6/FM 1128, and from there, we will ride to Froberg's in silence. As always, anyone is welcome at PCC rides. If you like, you can also make a contribution at:

https://www.active.com/donate/tony_dao

"
Old 02-06-06, 03:37 PM
bluebottle1
Kicked out of the Webelos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really sorry to hear about this. The Houston area isn't exactly the most bike-friendly--not by a long stretch--so you expect a certain amount of conflict with motor vehicles, but that doesn't make stuff like this any easier to read.
Old 02-06-06, 04:51 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by jakub.ner
One thing I like about big SUVs is you can hear them nice and loud when the engines are gunned to overtake.
Originally Posted by kf5nd
Indeed, those Priuses can be really bad because they're so quiet.
I don't know if kf5nd was being sarcastic, but I didn't see a smiley.
Its hard to drive a Prius over 20mph and not get the engine to kick in. You can hear them well or as good as any compact small engined car. Yes I own one, and I can hear my wife approach our house when I am inside with windows open. (i.e. I know when she is home before the garage door opens)
I also drive an SUV and one doesn't have to rev. engine to pass. But more importantly once agressive engine reving is done, the danger has passed (motorist is next to cyclist, not behind)

Main point is that vehicle types are not indicator of driver danger, drivers are. (i.e. do you dislike me cause I drive an SUV or because I drive a Prius )

Al
Old 02-06-06, 07:40 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Effective Cycling Forester uses "club cyclists" as examples of cyclists who ride vehicularly. But my impression is quite different; that this incident is an example of typical "club cyclist" behavior (though they usually get away with it).

In relatively recent posts from Forester, I've seen him explain the discrepancy in terms of the typical club cyclist today not being the typical club cyclist of the 60s and 70s (EC was originally written in the 70s). Today, many club cyclists are "weekend warriors", who typically do not commute, and drive their bikes outside of urban/suburban traffic to go on relatively traffic-free rides. These "club cyclists" simply don't have the skills and experience to ride safely in, and deal effectively with, traffic.

My heart goes out to his family, friends and loved ones.

Last edited by Helmet Head; 02-07-06 at 01:16 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 07:55 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is awful to hear about accidents like that, It is also a big reason I stay away from most club rides these days. It attracts all the racer wannbe's that ride all over the road. I think it has gotten worse over the years as cycling has become more popular with the general public. Many new riders are more interested in being the first one back to the parking lot rather than developing survival skills. The worst are guys my age (40's)
Old 02-06-06, 10:55 PM
jakub.ner

Bikes: 2 Xootr Swifts, Dahon Curve, Oxford Winter Beater.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
... (i.e. do you dislike me cause I drive an SUV or because I drive a Prius )
Noisebeam, no one hates you; I drive an SUV as well. I agree with your point regarding gunning engines (i.e. it's too late when you hear that). On my next ride I will try to hear if I can, an SUV far away as compared to a compact. Perhaps it's the poor aerodynamics?

Let's all slow down and look around before merging/turning. I think club riders should take it upon themselves to be examplary. They are much more noticed and visible than others, with their nice bikes and get up.