Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried Pilates classes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 01:45 PM
Cathar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking of signing up for a pilates class to help stengthen my lower back (I get slight lower back pain once in a while). Just wondering if others have found pilates useful for cycling. And how long it took before you noticed any benefits.

Cheers
Old 07-23-07, 02:18 PM
NoGaBiker
But wait... I AM the man.

Bikes: Merlin Extralight DA, 1982 Peugeot CFX-10 Campy NR, 7 Cruisers kept at beach, Raleigh Passage 4.0 hybrid, Marin Commuter with racks and bags

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes. It was awesome when I was doing it. Strengthed the core (both back and front) like nobody's business. Still use a lot of the moves for stretching, though I no longer take the classes.

Matt
Old 07-23-07, 02:27 PM
FidelCastrovich
Patria O Muerte!

Bikes: Pinarello road bike, Marin Kentfield city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took some yoga to become more flexible and strengthen this "core" area everybody seems to talk about. Don't think i took it for long enough to see results. But i got the idea, and now started to stretch and do core strengthening excercises on my own.
Anyhow, i've heard many stories of cyclists taking yoga or pilates for these reasons with good results.

Also, lower back pain may be the result of tight/short hamstrings. Work on those as well as your abs.
Old 07-23-07, 02:42 PM
Cassadamius
Extra Junior Member

Bikes: '05 LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do pilates. The main thing you have to know is that pilates is only meant to be done between 10 - 30 min (max) at a time. Most classes last an hour, and you will want to die the next day after an hour of serious pilates without having a serious base. But pilates is awesome, and it is very different from yoga. Yoga, when done the traditional way and not as the "Gold's Gymenized" way, is very calming and focuses on flexibility. Pilates focuses big time on your lower back, abs, and everything in between. It is stressful, but very controlled. If your body fat is low, you will notice visible differences almost immediately. You will also experience some noticeable differences when you're moving in basic ways, as we usually find ourselves sitting down most of the day and have very little core muscle.

I suggest taking the class (if there is a good teacher) and getting a basic comprehension of pilates. The key is control - no unnecessary movements, and never ever lose control of ever movement. Also, your body, every bit of it, is supposed to be tight at all time, pressing your fingers into the floor, your heels, etc. Another thing is to constantly keep your belly button pulled into your spine, as if there were a heavy weight attached to the inside of your belly button pulling it down. This should not inhibit your breathing at all. It is pertinent in pilates, doing this at all times. So back to what I was saying, get the gist of how things are supposed to work, and once you've got the idea down, buy The Pilates Body by Brooke Siler. It uses very good visual techniques to get you in the correct position. And remember, don't overdo it.
Old 07-23-07, 04:02 PM
Gee3
Senior Moment Member

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double & 2008 Look 555

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used this article on core exercises and like it. It's tough at first but I think it helps a lot:

Core Exercises
Old 07-23-07, 05:25 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
checked out a yoga dvd at the lpl and now do about 15-minutes every morning... good stuff...
Old 07-23-07, 05:55 PM
powerglide
~ Going the Distance ~

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi Carbon 928, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup, good stuff, esp for cyclists
Old 07-23-07, 06:44 PM
ra6991

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Cathar;4911678]I'm thinking of signing up for a pilates class to help stengthen my lower back (I get slight lower back pain once in a while). Just wondering if others have found pilates useful for cycling. And how long it took before you noticed any benefits.

I also started doing pilates after experiencing low back pain on my rides. Pilates helped make my core stronger and it look better but it did not cure my low back pain. I ended up at a chiropracter (sp) and after 6 weeks and like 15 visits my low back never gives me any problems. I was suprised but the Chiro really worked. Good luck.
Old 07-23-07, 07:13 PM
2Tired2Shift
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTF is pilates
Old 07-23-07, 07:26 PM
In_flames
I GO SLOW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did it a few times whren I worked part time at a YMCA. It is not bad.. Like anything it is one of those things you have to "want" to do.. It really does work, and if you go to the back of the class you can see better. ::wink wink::
Old 07-24-07, 04:01 PM
Cathar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well.. i think Im gonna sign up for some classes. But holy crap... they can be expensive. Most places want you to do individual classes for the first eight sessions before joining a mat class. But if my core is a lot stronger and and back improves i'll be very happy.

Hhmmm this whole cycling thing is really starting to get expensive.... i knew i should have gone with darts... bugger!
Old 07-24-07, 04:30 PM
asherlighn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pilates FTL; Goju Ryu conditioning FTW

Karate is so much fun, you forget you are working!

Im obviously not completely serious. Do pilates if its your cup o' tea.