Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

serotta v. time v. look (maybe specialized?)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-01-07, 08:44 PM
2old2tri
2old2tri

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany, Trek Fuel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Serotta v. Time v. Look

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am one of the "fat, rich, guys" that many seem to have a problem with. "Rich" being relative. I have been biking for 3 years (to spend time with my 20-something kids and to get exercise). I started with a steel bike ($300), then went to an aluminum bike ($2000 new), then to a titanium ($5500 new). I have gone from 269 lbs to 235 pounds and won my first event (a sprint triathlon for 40+ Clydesdales). We won't talk about my time. Let's live for the moment.

My wife, who has much more money than I do, offered to buy me the "bike of my dreams" for my birthday this month. I realize that the "motor" is more important than the machine, so spare me any comments along that line. I am improving and can afford a machine that transcends my ability level. I am not trying to show off or be better than anyone else. I just want another type of bike.

I want to keep riding my titanium bike for my recreational rides (MS 150, centuries, etc.). I would like a quality carbon bike for my shorter sprints (9 miles to 24 miles). I would like to tap into the experience of all of you. I am looking at Time, Serotta, Look, and my one friend suggests Specialized Tarmac (I could afford the S2). Opinions?
Thanks.
Old 08-01-07, 08:49 PM
zencadance
Banned

Bikes: litespeed, MASTER X LITE, trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There all the same,buy the one that comes in the colour you like best.
Old 08-01-07, 08:55 PM
2old2tri
2old2tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
colour

Great advice. Thanks.
Old 08-01-07, 08:57 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm kind of partial to LOOK. Perhaps it's because I own one though. Seriously, I don't think you could go wrong with any of those bikes.

BTW-Which particular models are you LOOKing at?
Old 08-01-07, 09:02 PM
BigSean

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id say go for the Look, perhaps a 595 or 585 ultra. The Time is about the same as the Look. The Serotta you can get custom built and the Specialized is not in the same class or quality. The Specialized is far less stiff then the Look and the Time. Although I have never ridden a De Rosa Ive always wanted one, but Im craving classic steel. By the way I ride a Look 585 and its an awesome bike. Check the reviews at roadbikereview.com.

By the way, if ya get the Look I have a feeling you wont ride the ti much.
Old 08-01-07, 09:03 PM
irideacenturion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're looking to drop 7,000+ dollars on a bike. Get the one that looks and fits the best. You won't be able to tell any difference other than that...
Old 08-01-07, 09:07 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What he said.
At your level of riding, unless you're one of these guys that can tell the difference between half a degree in seat tube angle or 1/4" in seat height, get the one that looks the best.
Old 08-01-07, 09:10 PM
2old2tri
2old2tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure. I guess the 585 is stiffer, correct? My friend has the 595 and is very happy with it. I'll probably try to test ride them both. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-01-07, 09:11 PM
irideacenturion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
What he said.
At your level of riding,
Don't so much take offense to that as realize that you're not a professional and thus you really can't tell (*cough* need *cough*) the difference between a 3 grand well fit carbon whip and a 7 thousand plus number.
Old 08-01-07, 09:12 PM
2old2tri
2old2tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks,
I appreciate the input. The Look is a great looking bike and I am kind of leaning toward it. From the input that I have been getting, it seems that the Look is a better bargain than the Serotta.
Old 08-01-07, 09:13 PM
2old2tri
2old2tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are probably right. When you get to a certain level, the quality is probably similar.
Old 08-01-07, 09:14 PM
BigSean

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old2tri
I'm not sure. I guess the 585 is stiffer, correct? My friend has the 595 and is very happy with it. I'll probably try to test ride them both. Thanks for your input.
Actually the 595 Ultra is supposed to be stiffer. The new 586 is do out soon and that is one sweet machine. Kind os a cross between the two. There are some pics here https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=102061
I can tell you that Look is here in California and has great customer service.
Old 08-01-07, 09:21 PM
2old2tri
2old2tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cough, cough

You're right. I probably can't (cough, cough) tell the difference, but I can (cough, cough) afford it.
Old 08-01-07, 09:24 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Personally I think the Look's a better value and the serotta's are over priced. The way I see it, over 3000 or so (for the frame), most bikes are pretty similar.

Plus the look 595 is absolutely stunning.

Keep in mind though, that a frame + record group + some nice aero wheels can top 12-14,000. As long as she's comfortable paying for that, you're gold. Tack an Assos outfit on top of that.
Old 08-01-07, 09:34 PM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do yourself a favor and look at Parlee Bikes if you want a custom carbon bike. If you don't want custom, or need it then any of the ones you listed will be fine. The Serotta carbon is terribly expensive.

Richard
Old 08-01-07, 09:35 PM
FranckCisco
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In cycling, the best components (that money can buy) tend to be light weight components. However, at your weight with the consideration of safety, it's hard to suggest some ultra expensive stuff, which tend to be ultra lightweight also. Therefore, I would recommend Campy Record or Sram Red groupset with a reputable frameset:

Parlee Z2, Look 595, BMC pro machine SLC, Pinarello Paris or a high-end Merckx. Make sure you spend the rest of the money on some nice strong carbon wheelset. In cycling, anyone who works can save up to get a dream road bike...it's bicycle not a yacht. How much can you possibly spend before realizing that the best of the best can be had for less $20,000 dollars?

Originally Posted by 2old2tri
Serotta v. Time v. Look

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am one of the "fat, rich, guys" that many seem to have a problem with. "Rich" being relative. I have been biking for 3 years (to spend time with my 20-something kids and to get exercise). I started with a steel bike ($300), then went to an aluminum bike ($2000 new), then to a titanium ($5500 new). I have gone from 269 lbs to 235 pounds and won my first event (a sprint triathlon for 40+ Clydesdales). We won't talk about my time. Let's live for the moment.

My wife, who has much more money than I do, offered to buy me the "bike of my dreams" for my birthday this month. I realize that the "motor" is more important than the machine, so spare me any comments along that line. I am improving and can afford a machine that transcends my ability level. I am not trying to show off or be better than anyone else. I just want another type of bike.

I want to keep riding my titanium bike for my recreational rides (MS 150, centuries, etc.). I would like a quality carbon bike for my shorter sprints (9 miles to 24 miles). I would like to tap into the experience of all of you. I am looking at Time, Serotta, Look, and my one friend suggests Specialized Tarmac (I could afford the S2). Opinions?
Thanks.
Old 08-01-07, 09:39 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll pitch in another vote for Look. It appears to be a well thought out and engineered bike. Lots of great ride reports.
Old 08-01-07, 09:40 PM
2old2tri
2old2tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent advice

I really appreciate your input. I am looking for a quality product at a reasonable price. I have Dura-Ace on my current bike (an improvement over the Ultegra on the previous one). Most of the input that I have received has been go Campy Record. This is a bike that I hope to ride for years. I think that I am going to go with a Zipp Carbon wheelset (as you recommend). I am leaning toward the Look 595. I think that it is a quality product. Thanks for your honest advice.
Old 08-01-07, 09:40 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Whatever you do, do not get stronglight cranks... even though they look so good.
Old 08-01-07, 09:45 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Test ride the groups before deciding. I can tell you that I have a strong preference for Shimano Dura-Ace. Campy is fine too, just be sure its as comfortable and functional to you. Most people will have a preference for one, some will like both equally - I guess.
Old 08-01-07, 09:49 PM
rapidcarbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get Time VXRS Ulteam or Look 595.

if you like red, then get this

if you like white, then get this
https://www.pbase.com/smera/image/70176049
Old 08-01-07, 10:06 PM
2old2tri
2old2tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great bike

What an awesome looking bike.
Old 08-01-07, 10:10 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For tri's, money no object, get yourself one of these puppies with a zipp disc.
Old 08-01-07, 10:11 PM
quanteleditor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it'd be fun to consider a Scott Addict Limited, Waterford or a Project 1 Trek Madone.
Old 08-01-07, 10:18 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

I'm old and heavier than I'd like to be. My household income is more than comfortable thanks to my wife and I was in almost the same situation a couple of months ago regarding my buying decision. Replace the Specialized with a Cervelo Soloist Carbon and that was my short list.

So, since you're going to spend a bunch on a bike, you need to get fitted -- custom or stock. I don't agree with the comments about your level of experience and your need for a bike that fits well. If you are "average" in your body proportions then a stock frame MIGHT fit, but even at that different manufacturer's frames fit differently. Here are the reasons why I discounted certain frames:

Look 585 and 595: The current Look geometry does not work for me in their current sizes. Check out the link in my sig and you will see that I have a Look KG481SL which fits me almost perfectly. I just sold a Look 565 (same geometry as the 585/595) that I've been riding since February and their new geometry just didn't work for me fit-wise. Also I didn't like the color choices for either the 585 or 595. Maintaining a white bike just doesn't work for me (yes, I've had one). However, I love the aesthetics of the 595.

Time VXR Proteam: The geometry was pretty close on this bike. The frame looks good. Unfortunately, you can have any color you want as long as it's white.

Cervelo Soloist Carbon: The top tube was too short for me and I couldn't see myself with a Jens Voight setup -- long (14 cm) stem. I love the tech, the aesthetics, and the color. The finish of the joints was a little disappointing.

Serotta Attack: I really couldn't justify the cost of a Meivici (Serotta's other custom carbon). From an appearance perspective, this is the lowest tech of all of them but with Serotta's ability to customize the carbon tubes appearances may be deceiving. I test rode a Meivici and it felt very nice. The fit, well it's custom and it is close in geometry to my Look KG481SL. The color is RED and the frame is beautiful. I just picked it up last week but I won't finish the build until I get back from my 2 week vacation which starts on Friday.

YMMV but find a good shop that can do a comprehensive fit so that you can figure out first which bike will fit you well and second which bike makes you say, "Wow!"

Hope this helps.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.