Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help for a friend

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 09:59 PM
Velomancer
Ridin'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help for a friend

A good friend (bike shop owner) is looking for a supplier of low to medium end MTB/hybrid/commuters.

He wants to order around 200 bikes in total (about 1 container load). He has the only bike shop on a Pacific island. He has a great mechanic who is capable of assembly from scratch and can also build wheels so bikes could be supplied unassembled if that keeps cost down.

Can anyone point us in the right direction (preferably one source for all three)?

Here are a few pics and basic specs of the type of bikes he's after.

Bike 1 (entry level)
Steel frame, low end front suspension, v-brakes, 16-24sp, 26" alloy rims. 16-18kg

Bike 2 (Entry MTB)
Alloy Frame, front suspension, Alloy V-brakes. 21-27sp, QR hubs, 26" Alloy rims, 12-14kg.

Bike 3 (single speed, possibly 3-8speed)
Steel or Alloy frame, caliper brakes, Flat and/or drop bars, 700c wheels, 28-35 tires.

I'd prefer not to get into the merits of the types of bike... just looking to do a bit of business in these troubled times and reduce the relience on fossil fuels for a small developing country.

I am working on a Pacific wide cycling promotion in conjunction with a major conservation org. so there may be larger orders in the future.

Cheers guys n gals.

EDIT: apologies about the thumbnail for bike 1... actual size is OK-ish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike2.jpg (70.1 KB, 6 views)
bike3.jpg (65.6 KB, 7 views)
bike1.jpg (80.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Velomancer; 03-11-09 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-12-09, 04:19 AM
Unknown Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he's a bike shop owner, surely he'll have better access to suppliers, wholesalers and distributors ??

Trade shows, trade literature, sales reps etc... ??
Old 03-12-09, 04:52 AM
oneredstar
the bike made me do it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a very strange question, especially if he is a bike shop owner. I can tell you that if there are no other bikes sold on this island it may just be as simple as calling a bicycle company and ordering them. On the other hand you mentioned a container, so maybe you want to start your own brand. If that is the case you should look at https://www.maxway.com.tw/.
Old 03-12-09, 03:27 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
What brands does he currently sell?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-18-09, 08:17 PM
Velomancer
Ridin'

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know this a little out of the ordinary but our location (a tiny island in the Pacific), and the volume (even smaller) makes dealing with the outside world difficult. His shop is very small and he is not part of a distibution network and the volume (or lack of it) make unit costs high.

He currently selling Australian assembled, Taiwanese made, generic bikes but dealing direct with a manufacturer is preferable. Bikes are horrendously expensive in Aus. I can buy stuff retail from the US cheaper than many bike shops can get it wholesale in Australia. Freight and duty add a fair bit... so dealing direct with the Manufacturer would be the way.

Thanks fore the Maxway link oneredstar.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-20-09, 10:53 AM
Treker
Zebra

Bikes: '04 Trek 1000, '05 Devinci Millenium; 07 Spec. Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he has no qualms with shopping overseas, https://www.alibaba.com

"where global trade begins" or something like that...

edit: sorry, didn't read the last post all the way thru. Alibaba is the outside world but it is all about dealing directly with mfrs.