Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

You know you're in deep, when . . . . . .

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-09, 04:42 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts

A couple of weeks ago, dropping by the local transfer station, I find a Peugeot UO-8 about to be tossed. The good news is that it's complete, although with a few component changes (Simplex Prestige replaced with a Simano Eagle II, DiaCompe stem shifters installed, DiaCompe suicide levers added to the Mafac brake levers).

The bad news is that it's been sitting in a damp basement (at best) for the last twenty years. Everything chrome except for the rims are terminal rust. There's a slight bend in the steerer tube.

What the hell, I can at least get some components for the spare parts shelf, I haven't had any practice in unbending a fork since the bike shop days, and, at best we're looking at the classic "sandblast-rattlecan-fixie-dumb college student with too much discretionary cash-let some kittens live".

Things start going awry when:

1. The rear quick release shatters when I release it to remove the rear wheel.

2. The rear wheel won't remove. The problem is ascertained to be rust gluing the chain to the freewheel. Easily beaten apart.

3. Removing the cotter pins is done with only minor difficulty. However, removing the left crank arm is done only by getting out the circular saw with the metal cutting disk and cutting the crank spindle. Never underestimate the gluing power of rust. I'm grateful that it's the left side that decided to stick.

4. Removing the adjustable bottom bracket cup is accomplished through the use of a 1/2" drive 24mm socket, air impact wrench and compressor. The fixed cup ain't going nowhere.

5. The seat bolt is rusted to the point that it immediately rounds off under the application of the proper socket. Said seat bolt is cut using my Dremel tool and a couple of cutting discs. The seatpost extracts easily.

6. Attacking the stem results in the bolt snapping almost immediately. I get around that one by dropping a longer bolt against the wedge and applying BFH with great abandon. The stem isn't frozen, but budging slowly, so I spray some Bombardier Lube, wait two minutes, and take about five minutes to finally remove the stem.

7. Ditto rust on the Mafac lever bolts. Grab again for Dremel and cutting disc, and do a fast swipe on the mounting straps. I may try to keep the levers, as I've never seen what appears to be a "factory" application of DiaCompe suicide levers to Mafac's. Back in the day, the Gitane dealer in Erie just replaced the entire lever unit with Schwinn Approved when the customer demanded suicide levers.

So it's apart (except for the headset), the parts I'm going to refurbish and shelve are put aside, and the trash can is full. Still have to take the wheels down - later. I've usually got a fairly good eye for a junkyard find under all the filth, but this time I kinda underestimated.

And halfway through the job, a old folk song from my college days, that I hadn't thought of in thirty years suddenly pops up in my head: "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy".

These are the moments when I'm eternally grateful for those years spent at AR Adams Schwinn/Raleigh in Erie. I can remember doing every one of those actions at one time or another under Merle's tutelage.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-04-09, 04:58 PM
Jtgyk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is why I have to repeat to myself, "there's nothing so expensive as a free bike" every time I do this.

The cure lasts for about 2 months.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 07-04-09, 05:32 PM
Batman_3000

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about turning it into modern art ? Like you cut it into different sized parts at random, then weld them together in random order, add a few pieces of scrap metal from any other source, drape it in toilet paper and call it "Das kapital". I hear there is a big market for this sort of stuff. You don't necessarily have to call it Das kapital, something like "The fall of decadent bourgeois post industrail capitalist society" would do. There's a guy down the road from here who does this sort of stuff, and apparantly he's making a stash. Just an idea.
Old 07-04-09, 06:12 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
But think of the fun you had....

Chain someone to it, photo it, and call it "Das bicykal."
Throw it at the first buyer and call it performance art.

If it hurts the buyer, sell your martyrdom to pay the lawsuit.

America is a great place.
Old 07-04-09, 07:44 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Actually, I had fun just tearing the thing apart and remembering a couple of tricks that I hadn't used in thirty-five years.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-05-09, 06:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
There you go....I kind of figured you had some fun on it.
Old 07-05-09, 07:07 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Weirdly, both Syke and I found UOs on the same day, only a few miles apart, though I paid twenty good dollars for mine. However, I got the better deal-- mine has been converted to cotterless, with the handly thick walled Japanese Cups, as well. And it's in a lot better shape. And it had look pedals. However, the stem was stuck, mostly because the stem bolt was doing a very good imitation of a circle. So I wound up hacksawing off the stem and banging the rusted in expander wedge bolt out with a hammer and beater screwdriver (ie 99 cents at walmart). And, of course the deraileur pulleys are gone (hello Suntour GT!)

Syke, I've likely got replacement rims/wheels if you want 'em.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Last edited by Poguemahone; 07-05-09 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 10:10 AM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
There you go....I kind of figured you had some fun on it.
Of course I did. I always have fun working on a bike no matter how cheap, mean, or beaten. If nothing else, I can have fun taking the circular saw to the frame and make sure that it never inflicts itself on some poor unknowing innocent again.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-05-09, 11:34 AM
Servo888

Bikes: k2 Zed 3.0

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jtgyk
This is why I have to repeat to myself, "there's nothing so expensive as a free bike" every time I do this.

The cure lasts for about 2 months.
This is sooo true! *sigh* I don't even want to know how many hours and dollars I've spent .
Old 07-05-09, 12:36 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Any bicycle work that involves power tools and a BFH has to be good.

Neal
Old 07-05-09, 02:35 PM
Batman_3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
But think of the fun you had....

Chain someone to it, photo it, and call it "Das bicykal."
Throw it at the first buyer and call it performance art.

If it hurts the buyer, sell your martyrdom to pay the lawsuit.

America is a great place.
This is always amusing to me, wherever you live, you complain about your country. Well, not complain, but you get fed up with some of the "excesses". People over here in France are always grumping about France (me too), In England same thing. Even the Germans don't seem to like Germany, they keep trying to invade other countries to go and live there (before anybody get's upset, it's humour).

Tell you what, of all the places in the world I've been, on pass thru travel or living, the only one I'd love to return to is North America. OK, I was in Canada, but what's the difference between a Canadian and an American anyway ?

Last edited by Batman_3000; 07-05-09 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 03:29 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Hey Syke, that UO is not a 23" is it?

I've got a beauty of a UO frame in 22" that would fit you perfect.
Old 07-05-09, 04:54 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by Batman_3000
OK, I was in Canada, but what's the difference between a Canadian and an American anyway ?
Congratulations! You've just done the equivalent of calling an Irishman (or Scotsman, or Welshman) an Englishman. Or an Alsatian, a German.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 07-05-09 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-05-09, 04:58 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by redneckwes
Hey Syke, that UO is not a 23" is it?

I've got a beauty of a UO frame in 22" that would fit you perfect.
Thanks, but I've already got one. A slightly worn but very nice condition completely original 1973 model. Which is far and away the least ridden bike in the stable. Compared to everything else, it's slow, heavy, and while a nice ride, not exactly something that inspires me to want to do 30 miles on a Sunday morning.

By all rights, given my usual attitude of "ride it or flip it", I should have sold it about a year ago. Except that it's nice and original. And other than finding a collector of vintage bikes (most of whom already have one), the probably buyer would be a college student.

And kittens would die.

I have a feeling once I finish the next project (a three year old Trek Pilot), the UO-8 is going to get hung in the attic until it either hits 50 years old, or the fixie craze dies.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-05-09, 08:22 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nothing of value to add to this but perhaps a chuckle. All this talk of artwork reminded me of the thought I had the other night before dosing off. I told my poor wife about it--she hears far too much bicycle talk--the idea is to completely dissassemble a junk bicycle and then take it to a local college bike rack and chain everything that you still can to it, wheels, frame, innertubes, tires, fenders etc. and then leave the remaining pieces in a pile there on the ground. The idea is yes, you could steal it if you first cut the chain and then re-assemble all the odd pieces
Old 07-06-09, 04:02 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Congratulations! You've just done the equivalent of calling an Irishman (or Scotsman, or Welshman) an Englishman. Or an Alsatian, a German.
No, no. Calling an Irishman English is infinitely more dangerous. Ask the little French Canadian guy who called me English at the Museum of Man in Hull.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 07-13-09, 07:31 AM
Batman_3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Code:
Poguemahone Originally Posted by sykerocker  Congratulations! You've just done the equivalent of calling an Irishman (or Scotsman, or Welshman) an Englishman. Or an Alsatian, a German. 

No, no. Calling an Irishman English is infinitely more dangerous. Ask the little French Canadian guy who called me English at the Museum of Man in Hull.
How funny, and terribly sorry if I caused any offence. It's just that as an Englishman, I know that Irish, Welsh and Scots are all the same, so I thought the same thing went for Canadians and Americans.
Old 07-13-09, 07:40 AM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Batman_3000
Code:
Poguemahone Originally Posted by sykerocker  Congratulations! You've just done the equivalent of calling an Irishman (or Scotsman, or Welshman) an Englishman. Or an Alsatian, a German. 

How funny, and terribly sorry if I caused any offence. It's just that as an Englishman, I know that Irish, Welsh and Scots are all the same, so I thought the same thing went for Canadians and Americans.
Just so you know, the best way to get yourself out of a hole is not to keep digging it deeper...