Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 10:34 PM
SomeOldGuy

Bikes: 2005 Trek 4300 (Disc) 2015 Trek FX2, 2011(?) Sun EZ-1 SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

I'm 58.

1. Usually a 2005 Trek 4300.

2. Just a multi-vitamin.

3. I don't know.

4. Bought the bike new, but never used it until 2010. Cycled off and on for about three years, then stopped for a year. Just started riding again about a month ago.

5. Short rec rides. Typically 15 - 25 miles.

6. Five days per week. I hope to break 2500 miles this year and 5000 miles next year.
Old 07-09-14, 12:21 AM
Greybeard712
Author Guy

Bikes: 2012 Roubaix Pro, 2011 Roubaix Expert, 2006 Tarmac S-Works

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I'm 68½ and ride three different bikes depending on mood.
1. 2005 Specialized Allez (fast)
2011 Specialized Sirrus (Hybrid - comfortable)
2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert (my fav - fast and comfortable)

2. I take pain meds every morning along with Vitamin B12 & D3, multi-vitamins, and Cognitine for mental acuity and, uh, that other thing, uh, memory.

3. The muscles and joints just aren't as flexible and responsive any more so yeah, I've slowed down considerably. Doesn't stop me though.

4. I biked a lot as a kid, wanted to train for the Tour de France but they don't take high school kids. Took it up again in the early 90s for a short while, started again seriously in mid 2012.

5. I'm a recreational and health rider. I'm looking for some more roads w/o too much traffic in Reno. There's a great bike path following the Truckee River, too bad the surface is in such neglect (cracks and tree root speed bumps). Overall a decent ride.

6. I ride every morning (weather permitting) 17-20 miles/day, some days two rides, about 120mi/wk. 1722 miles so far this year. Didn't start collecting these road bikes until January and sold the old clunker '92 MTB (it went to a good home).

A day without riding is like a day without...

Last edited by Greybeard712; 07-09-14 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-28-14, 02:00 PM
don59047

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Infinito CV Ultegra, Norco Fluid 1 HT 27.5+

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know what other folks ride, but my wife got me a 2014 Bianchi Infinito CV Ultegra for my 60th birthday.

Nope. Maybe a bit of Vitamin I for when I try to ramp up too quickly.

I am getting back to serious cycling after 35 years off. I have most surely slowed down relative to where I was in back in the '70s, but my general physical conditioning has probably increased in the last 10 years. DW and I started XC skiing in our early 50's and we are avid hikers. She was a competitive swimmer in her early days and is still somewhat hardcore these days, so just to keep up with her I have to keep up with my conditioning. She is definitely a believer in HTFU. (Her resting HR has always been in the low-40s).

The main impact I am noticing is I tend to want to ramp up too quickly since the bike is so much fun to ride. I don't have any chronic back or joint issues, but ache a bit more that when I was younger if I push too hard. At this age, I feel there is perhaps a much finer line between pushing yourself to the limit and going a bit too far. Trying to not get ahead of myself.

The version of me who biked so much in his 20's is a different guy, so I think of myself as "new" from a conditioning PoV, although I know all the general principles. I had been doing spin classes for about 3 years prior and enjoyed them, so thought it was time to get on a real bike :-). I would say the start of this phase of road biking started just 3 weeks ago.

All recreational/fitness right now. Generally 10-20 miles for my daily morning ride in Portland (mostly time limited by work demands). When I am at our place in Montana, I am currently doing 20-30 miles each day I ride, with the occasional 40 (relatively flat) miles.

Will probably join the local bike club to get involved in some group rides. My target is to get up to doing long rides and climbs. Maybe a century in a few months if all goes well. Our place in MT is not too far from Beartooth Pass (Bicycling Beartooth Pass) so hope to do that next year.

Pretty much every day for now, minus a rest day every 4 or 5 days. Too soon to know annual mileage, but am up to 100+ per week already. Will be interesting to see what winter in Portland brings.

7. Do you do any other physical activities

Hiking and XC Skiing. Doing some additional core work now also (Based on this book)

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Just turning 60.

Last edited by don59047; 07-28-14 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 03:41 PM
tamerair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 53 years old I ride a Carbon fiber Felt brand F5 road bike. Light weight and and aggressive style head stock for racing position.

I do not take anything, before my ride every morning I eat a bowl of cereal or drink banana milk then in the half of my ride (of 40 miles) I take a energy drink.

I am much faster than I was 10 years ago. My average ride of 40 mile ride ends between 18-20mph Avr. That inludes 10-20% grade climbs with 50mph downhills

I rode bikes all my life but after 40 I became very serious rider, plus being UCI pro cycling racing enthusiast pushed me to become a better amateur cyclist, it is my passion.

I do high tempo training rides on my road bike, also long rides. I ride as long as up to 135-150 miles per ride on weekends and 40 miles in the mornings before work (7:00am to 9:30am) . Regardless my age which I don't feel it my body is totally adapted to this. I hope to continue this many more years.

I ride 6-7 times a week, around 10,000 miles a year.

7. Do you do any other physical activities

I only ride my bikes for now.

This is what I learned about myself and human body. It is an organic machine, it becomes only stronger if you keep training and resting it, it an amazing machine and it can do more than you think. I am as fast as 30 year old cyclists. I climb the highest mountains in America with no difficulty such as Mount Evans etc.. I think cycling is 70% mental strength than physical, if you think it is difficult and you can't do it then you already accepted the defeat and you are right you can't do it. If you are mentally strong you can climb the highest mountains at any age.
Old 07-28-14, 11:28 PM
Gannburg

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Crossroads Trail, 1997 Cannondale Super V700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. I am 55-1/2 years old. I just started back riding two months ago. It's a b****, but I am determined.

My neighbor used to commute to work at Tulane U. when she lived in New Orleans. (she's in her 30s) One day we were standing in her back yard chatting and she showed me an old dumpster-dived bike she found one day while driving to work. It was an old, rusty, unloved Specialized Crossroads Trail. She asked me if I wanted it and I said yes! I realized that day that I had not been on a bicycle in over 20 years, so I decided to practice on the old beater. Too, realizing that my old bike from many years back was touring bike and the seat tube, handlebars, shifter, tire type and size were totally unfamiliar to me, I got on and rode about 100 feet through my backyard to my neighbor's backyard and back. Wow! Talk about a new experience... I forgot how to pedal, start, stop, shift gears and most importantly, I forgot how to dismount. After a few minutes, I decided to try it again. I made the same path, only this time I shifted down and made my way up the driveway to the top of the hill. I slowly turned perpendicular to the grade, stopped and attempted to dismount.

Famed college football Coach Pat Dye used to have a saying that I recall from time to time. "Hindsight is 50/50." I should've dismounted toward the highpoint of the driveway instead of the lower.

It was like a slow-motion, comical, twisting, turning, tumbling fiasco as I fell off the bike into a large flowerpot. Forgetting to let go of the bike, it suddenly became skyward and I was on the concrete staring at it above. The bike landed safely on some nearby turf and was unharmed. I, however, got a gash in my right leg that I still can't figure out how it got there. My girlfriend was watching from her stool as she weeded the garden and all I could do was lie there and laugh. That afternoon I ordered a helmet and the book, Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance from Amazon. It was two weeks before I got back on a bike. Man, I am out of shape!

Found a good deal on a 1997 Cannondale Super V700 at an estate sale. That's what I'm training on while I completely restore and convert the Specialized hybrid to a classic commuter.

Yes. But, not because I'm getting older. Multivitamin, C, B Complex, Turmeric.

Pluaah! More than I care to think about!

Biked all but the last 25 years of my life.

Right now, I'm just riding on a cheap trainer (RAD MAG) daily and around the neighborhood until I feel I'm ready to ride with a local group without slowing them down.

Daily. 5 or so miles.

I just finished dismantling the Specialized Crossroads in order to strip and paint the frame. Want to see the before picture?
Old 09-16-14, 08:35 AM
Rollfast1966

Bikes: 2009 Kona Dew Drop. 2013 Trek Crossrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all. I am 54, and although I've always had a bike, I returned to riding enthusiastically 2 years ago. I've always had a preference for 2 wheels. I became very involved in motorcycling in my early 20's. That turned into drag racing motorcycles until I was 43. Through all the years of motorcycling, I always had a bicycle, although not used very much. Now, I'm as much in bicycles as I was with the drag bikes. Through most of my life since my teens (except for an 8 year break), I've been active in weight and cardio training for health and fitness. Getting back on the bike fits right in. I'm having as much fun riding now as I did as a kid. Very happy to be back on human powered 2 wheels!

My primary ride right now is a 2009 Kona Dew Drop set up for commuting. I ride to work weather permitting. Running SKS Longboard fenders, Conti Tour Plus tires, and Topeak rack and bags. Front lighting is dual Maglite xl200's. Rear lighting is an assortment of different products. Pedals are Shimano PD-M324. Stem mounted smartphone holder, and on-board 13000 mAh USB power.

I'm looking for a 2008 Cannondale Bad Boy Alfine with the single side fork. Recently purchased a 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite.

Been taking a multivitamin since high school. Also take various joint and training recovery supplements. NO DRUGS!

Measured performance, probably so. My focus is the same as always: Bigger, Stronger, Faster.

Been riding something with two wheels since I was a kid.

Commuting, training, and fun. Commute is only 10 miles. Training rides have been 15 to 45 miles so far. I want to do some touring in the future.

Several times per week. At least one weekend training ride. My bike computer says I've gone 623.5 miles so far this season.

7. Do you do any other physical activities?

Weight training, indoor cardio (elliptical and rowing). Trying to find a partner to get back into racquetball.

Last edited by Rollfast1966; 09-16-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-17-14, 12:49 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Some questions:

Please tell us your age.
I am 52.

I have a 1995 Colnago Tecnos that I bought used in 2001 and a 2013 Raleigh RX 2.0. I ride the Colnago in good weather and the Raleigh when it's wet. I may try my hand, or legs, at cyclocross later this year with the Raleigh.

I usually put a mineral supplement in my water when I ride.

Actually I think I'm probably in better shape now than I ever have been. Over the last two years I've lost about 25 pounds and gotten much faster. Since I weighed more and smoked when I was younger I doubt I was any faster. Recovery times are another story, though.

I've biked off and on since I was a kid -- commuting as a teenager and young adult, road riding since around age 40.

I try to ride 20 to 30 miles, but sometimes will settle for 10 or 15 before work.

Nearly every day during the summer, two or three times a week the rest of the year. I will ride around 2000 miles this year.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-19-14, 08:50 PM
jimxyz

Bikes: Baum Corretto - Felt F1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
2010 Felt F1, carbon
mulit-vitamin (why not), saw palmetto (who doesn't take this? haha), Vitamin B and Fish Oil supplements. On the bike its primarily Skratch hydration and Osmo post ride
Avg Speeds on long rides and climbs is slower - or seems slower anyway
after a 30+ years break its been pretty steady for last 4 years
Mostly short training rides (25 to 30 miles) with weekends of 50 - 70 with hills and some organized century rides when I have time
3 to 4 times per week. maybe 2000 per year
Trying to ge tmy kids into it while they are young so they can not have the 30+ year gap in "riding" and "really enjoying riding" like I did!
Old 09-22-14, 11:31 AM
Suzzeee

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Torino Dama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Got a sweet deal from my friend's fave bike shop --- 2014 Bianchi Torino Dama in baby blue with tan seats/grips. Got a super cute basket from Etsy and a cute black modern helmet.... I think I'm going to get that funky Nutcase argyle helmet tho...it's way cuter and...it's all about the accessories!

No - I eat a pretty balanced diet. Take an allergy pill daily and that's about it.

I'm a bit of a hot mess lately thanks to a couple of intense jobs with a lot of travel over the past few years -- so a lot but the bike is part of the plan to get my butt back in shape!

I barely rode a bike as a kid - we had horses. Most of my bike memories are of it being fun...followed by a crash... and I have the scars to prove it. I still remember some spectacular crashes. So... I've been thinking of buying a bike for a year and finally did! I'm still re-learning how to ride -- hills still scare the **** our of me and of course, I live on a hill

Right now it's short practices in a controlled environment. I plan on taking my bike when we go on trips in our Airstream so I can cruise around the RV park and local towns... a lot of our fellow Airstreamers have bikes and it looked like fun so here I am!! My friend has visions of me doing a fun (her words) 15 mile ride in January so something to train for.

Just started - mostly practice on weekend.

Last edited by Suzzeee; 09-22-14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-26-14, 07:24 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Been on here for a little while, but for some reason only just now poked my nose into this sticky.

Age;50

My favorite is Miyata 912

No

I've never been a competitive cyclist, but it's been a while since I've participated in the activities I did do competitively. I didn't feel like perfomance slowed down as much as the healing process. I'm riding better than I ever have,mostly due to having more time for it. I'm still the go to uncle when the little ones want get outdoors and run. Mine are all grown, still waiting on grandkids..... Patiently waiting, none are really ready yet.

I never quit from the day my dad taught me.

Short to medium rec rides. Worked in some commuting miles this year.

Every other day or so, on pace for 2000 miles this year.
Old 10-08-14, 12:55 PM
reynolds531c

Bikes: 34 sunbeam, 75 CCM single, specialized mtb & hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age;50
Old and new. 75 CCM single & Specialized Sirrus
I have a Specialized Stumpjumper that I have not been on in a few years. Should get back to it.

No, Just Wine

Need to get out more. Busy with life and not execizing as much.

Off and on my whole Life.

Short to medium rec rides..

?? Spinning once a week. I'm a fair weather biker. I try to bike home once a week. 33 kms a trip.
Old 10-23-14, 07:36 PM
Montag311

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I just joined the forum so I might as well make this my first post.

53 years old.

1. Cannondale Synapse Carbon. Used to have a 2012 but it recently had a frame failure and my frame was replaced under warranty with a new 2014 frame and my existing components were transferred over from the old frame. I also have an older steel Jamis road bike that I used to ride.

2. No. I used to take a multivitamin but not any more. I eat a reasonably balanced diet and I don't feel any different whether I take them or not.

3. and 4. I first started riding over 25 years ago. Then marriage and kids came along and I stopped. I picked it up again a couple of times as the years went on but never stuck with it. Then after putting on a pound or two each year, I was in my mid-40s and overweight. I finally decided to do something about it. But I didn't do it by riding. Instead I started walking regularly and eating better. I was very dedicated and the weight started coming off. As I got fitter I started running as well. It wasn't long before I was able to lose 40 pounds and was down to 165. Unfortunately the running led to a persistent soreness in my hip and I decided to pick up the bike again, not to lose more weight, but just to maintain my fitness. I was amazed at how much faster I was, faster than I was in my 20s. Cycling is much easier on my hip and now I have been riding regularly for over three years. I still like to walk as well, but my running days are over. My hip just can't take the pounding.

5. I am a road cyclist. I average 30-35 miles per ride and try to do a few longer rides of 50-60 miles each season. I usually ride solo, but I like to do a few group rides and charity rides each season as well.

6. When the weather allows, I like to ride 3 times a week. I still try to ride in the winter, but lack of daylight doesn't allow for riding after work, so I'm usually happy just to get in one ride on the weekend. I've been averaging 2200 miles per year.

Last edited by Montag311; 10-23-14 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-24-14, 05:37 PM
atheophilos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 53 and just started riding this summer and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I am riding a Cannondale Synaspe 6. It was a tough decision on which bike to buy. I started out not expecting the cost of a good bike; talking about sticker shock! I decided to ride my mountain bike to make sure I was serious. After a month I decided it was time to buy. I thought I wanted a cyclocross bike but ended up with a road bike and I am very happy with it. When I get out and ride i usually get in 12 to 15 miles. My longest ride so far is 43 miles. Hoping to do a century this coming summer.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No.

Since I have not ridden in the past. I don't know how to answer this question. I don't feel like I have.

Of course I have a bike as a kid; who didn't. I purchased a Schwinn Continental when I was a teenager; wish I still had that bike.

I would describe my riding as fitness riding.

Several times per week. At least one weekend ride. I have ridden almost 500 miles since July.

7. Do you do any other physical activities? Not really.
Old 10-24-14, 05:39 PM
atheophilos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 53 and just started riding this summer and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I am riding a Cannondale Synaspe 6. It was a tough decision on which bike to buy. I started out not expecting the cost of a good bike; talking about sticker shock! I decided to ride my mountain bike to make sure I was serious. After a month I decided it was time to buy. I thought I wanted a cyclocross bike but ended up with a road bike and I am very happy with it. When I get out and ride i usually get in 12 to 15 miles. My longest ride so far is 43 miles. Hoping to do a century this coming summer.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No.

Since I have not ridden in the past. I don't know how to answer this question. I don't feel like I have.

Of course I have a bike as a kid; who didn't. I purchased a Schwinn Continental when I was a teenager; wish I still had that bike.

I would describe my riding as fitness riding.

Several times per week. At least one weekend ride. I have ridden almost 500 miles since July.

7. Do you do any other physical activities? Not really.
Old 11-01-14, 02:29 PM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Cannondale Six13 Road and Cannondale Slice TT.

l-arginine complete, multivitamin, Krill and Fish oil, CoQ10.

Thankfully, I still feel like I'm improving year over year- though that could all be in my head....

Biked on and off my whole life, got serious with distance cycling and Ultra racing about 5 years ago.

Mostly 35-100 mile training rides with occasional 24hr and 400 mile Ultra races.

3-4 times per week. Anywhere from 7k to 10k miles per year.

50 and 29 days :-)
Old 11-02-14, 07:48 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Been around for a bit now, but just stumbled upon this and thought why not.

Please tell us your age.

Just turned 58.

I ride/own pretty much road bikes, one from the 70s, and two more recent carbon models, a 928 Bianchi and a 6.9 P1 Domane named the Bandit. All three have been adapted to one handed operation to reduce weight and prevent theft (and maybe because I only have one hand), and are pictured in various previous posts.

Nope.

Hard to say. The only prior time I rode actively was in the mid 70s to early 80s, and we didn't really keep track as anally as seems customary today. Then again, heading out on a 150 mile ride with a map and a buddy, "hydrating" at bubblers in city parks and connected to the world only by the random pay phone, seemed much less intimidating than the same prospect is today. My running is way slower, my skiing not so much, and the biking (19 to 22 mph solo, depending on climbing) is probably close to what it was 35 years ago, but only because of the effort I'm putting in these days.

Paper route at 12, commuted to school, commuted 15 miles in jeans and work boots to my summer job laying sod, much riding from 1975 to 1982, then kids and jobs and life intervened. Picked it up again four years ago and fell in love.

Yes, and commutes, and organized centuries, and ...

Year 1: two to three times a week--1800 miles; Year 2: three to four times a week--3500 miles; Year 3: five times a week--6000 miles (lost 6 weeks to a broken hip); Last 12 months: pretty much daily, and 10,000 miles.
Old 11-11-14, 01:35 PM
bluzharp

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Trek 2300, Proflex, Vitus Rapide 275

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 56 and returning to cycling after about 15 years off, not counting a brief stint about 7 years ago when I had several short rides with my GF at the time and her friends. I lost 30 lbs this summer by dieting and recently was running a bit but decided I'd pull the old 2300 out of the rafters and put a few miles on it. That's all it took and soon I was at the LBS and a bright red Emonda SL6 followed me home! I love that bike and I'm stoked to be riding again!

Old Trek 2300, Old Proflex with shocks (came with elastomers), Brand new Trek Emonda SL6

No.

I am just resuming after taking several years away from cycling. Yep, I'm slower but I will get it back.

I rode as a kid but through my wild years it was motorcycles. I started cycling in my mid 30's and rode to my early 40s. Hung the bikes in the garage and did other stuff until a couple weeks ago and started riding again. I bought a new bike and that pumped my enthusiasm immensely!

For now, 10-25 mile training rides to get the butt back in condition and get my legs back under me. I used to do 3000+ miles per year and the goal is to do a couple centuries again. I will be dusting off the mountain bike soon and plan to get a lighter hardtail MB.

4-5 times a week for now. Too soon for annual number but if I can get 70-80 a week for now that's good.
Old 11-17-14, 12:39 PM
Martian63

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.0, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Trek Domane 4.0, Trek Navigator 200

No.

No since still a newbie. Do think I would be faster has I started at younger age.

Still consider myself as a Newbie. 14 months on a road bike to be precise.

regular rides 20-40 miles per ride. Have completed a Century as well as a Metric Century organized rides.

4-7 days per week. Currently at 4077 miles. Estimate will end up with about 5000+ for year.

63 years old.
Old 11-24-14, 09:02 PM
george25923

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had my first crash today. I started riding again in May and have ridden over 2200 miles with no problems. I was making a slow, wide turn in a closed auto dealer asphalt parking lot and all of a sudden down I went. I looked at the pavement and it was smooth, no leaves, debris, sand, acorns, etc. but down I went. Fortunately all I did was get some elbow road rash, a sore knee and hand. I had on gloves or my hand would have road rash. I ride a Trek Shift 3 comfort bike. Did not realize how quick a bike can slide out from under you.
Old 11-29-14, 02:13 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've gone down several times - always when cornering over wet leaves. They're as slick as ice, and even knobby tires don't grip too well. Any more, I've learned to watch CLOSELY for any potential leaf accumulation, and if I see one, I get past it before trying to change direction. My riding buddies have the same problem, only more so since they ride narrower tires.
Old 12-18-14, 09:27 AM
Captlink

Bikes: Univega/custom,Evil Brut Fatbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Please tell us your age.

1) I just bought a mountain bike (fat bike)
2) I take melatonin for sleep.
3) I have grown sedimentary.
4) Biked up until about 20 years ago.
5) When I was young long rides mixed with short.Then it was sprints in my 20's now I'm looking forward to making it around the block.
6) None at this time.

I was injured many years ago but being a youth helped me overcome.I have been in decline for a number of years and am eager to get back in shape.
I bought a fat bike after having two previous bikes that were disappointing.The first was a inexpensive mountain bike that was not up to a man of my size and power.The next was a bomb proof bike that was like pedaling a bulldozer.This new bike should give me a soft ride with the large tires and will not be much heavier than my beloved road bike now gathering dust.I have some great paved trails near the house and plan on using them with my new ride after I change the tires.
Old 12-21-14, 05:27 PM
graemesmith
MAMIL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 3, Giant Expressway II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 54 and just got back into riding. Reason to get back into it was to maintain new weight / fitness after having to lose 30lb in 6 weeks to take part in a chance of a once in a lifetime activity. And having made the weight and feeling great - want to stay here. Keeping running was not going to cut it. My old knee injury is likely to come back - biking is less wear and tear.

Well I went to the LBS and rode my way up the offerings till I didn't feel any improvement for the increase in price tag. I ended up in a stock 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 3 which I have since regeared at 53 x 11 as my fitness increased and went electric with a 10 speed Ultegra Di2 kit I got on eBay. As a kid I used to ride strap on pedals - now I am completely at home in SPD's.

I eat carefully and healthily. Calorie count. No supplements.

Impossible to say. When I was 25 I was happy to average 12 mph over 26 miles with 60 lbs on my back. On a steel framed Raleigh 10 speed with an energy sapping dynamo running on the wheel to light the way.
Now I am on a carbon fantastic and fit and using cadence instead of brute strength and ignorance - I'm disappointed if I come in slower than 19 mph average on any ride up to 45 miles.

From the age of 12 I used to cycle as the way to take part in my dinghy sailing hobby at the club 12 miles away. Then later I used to commute to work - a 26 mile each way twice a week. From 25 - I was at sea and no longer biking.

Solo road rides for fitness. LBS ride on a Wed night is usually a 10 mile "no one left behind" where I go socialize at 12 mph.

5 days out of 7 I have a 15 mile loop I ride in the morning - wind, rain or shine. Once a week a loop out to 45 miles. Don't have an annual mileage yet but at this rate (with down time for snow and frost) it will be about 3,000-4,000 - haven't got it down yet.

7. Do you do any other physical activities?

If I can't bike - Scout's pace - which I define as walk 20, jog 20, walk 20 jog 20 - for about 5k - takes about an hour.
Old 12-21-14, 08:07 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have two bikes I ride regularly:
A Diamondback hybrid with an eight-speed Shimano IGH; I’ve fixed this one up to be my ‘car’; it has a rack with folding baskets, a rack ‘box’, a detachable handlebar bag, lots of reflective tape and very bright lights. I’ve just about changed everything to make it comfortable; I could tour on this bike. It weighs forty pounds.
I also ride my Cannodale Synapse. I keep this bike light (21#) and it is fitted with clipless pedals. I average about three mph faster compared to the other one.

81mg aspirin, vitamin D, Multi vitamin & B12.

Compared to when I was club racing in the early 1960s, I’m as slow as a snail. I weigh 225, down from 240 a year ago; I weighed in at 190 in those early days. My goal is 180#. I am out of shape, over-weight, weak, old and have along way to go.

Since I was six. On and off with intense training 50-years ago. Thirty years off while raising children, mostly as a single parent.

To the store, library --- wherever I would go with a car (don’t have one now). Mostly
on the Diamondback. Longer, tougher rides on the Cannodale (we have some hills around here and a typical eight mile ride includes 1300+ feet of climbing). I am working up to 50-100 mile rides with overnight camping as I toughen up and get lighter. Ultimately I want to ride the 700 or so miles to visit my daughter near Eureka CA and an equal distance to see my brother in Tucson Arizona.

Every day. Don’t know – a few thousand last year, more this year and yet more in 2015.

I don’t expect to ever own a car again; don’t want one, can’t afford one, don’t care. I love cycling and always have; I feel like I’ve come home!

Joe
Old 12-22-14, 08:16 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please tell us your age. 65

I ride a Cannondale Adventure 2 which would be considered a comfort hybrid.

Fish oil, coQ10, multi, B12

I've definitely slowed down...You don't want to interrupt my afternoon nap!!

about 10 years

Recreational mostly,but have been venturing farther of late

I ride 5 or 6 days a week. Annual mileage is about 2k

Last edited by avidone1; 12-22-14 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-29-14, 08:00 AM
Martian63

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.0, Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Trek Domane 4.0 and old Trek Navigator.

None

I'm still trying to speed up.

Excluding as a child about 2 years. Road bike the last 1yr 4mo of that.

Long rides when I can but mostly rec rides.

About 5 days a week. Just reached goal of 5000 for the year.

64 years old

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.