Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A bike build.. help me with the the crucial decision!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-11, 10:41 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok so I have a close friend who does not ride but has expressed interest. Today he was looking over one of my bikes and commented on how much he liked my work. He said he would like to start riding, get in shape and such. I think he has been motivated to some degree with my recent loss of weight and riding activities.
Anyways after a bit he says to me that he went by one of the LBS and was shocked at the prices for a quality ride... said he he just could not spend that kind of money. But he wanted a nice bike and asks me if I could build a bike for him. He likes the vintage idea so that's a good deal and all. I told him I'm sure we can get him squared away with something and before I know it he's handing me a check for $200 and say's that's all he can afford right now and would that be doable?

So here the gist of it. I've got to build a bike with a budget of $200 and it's got to be of good quality. Luckily he's 5'8" so size wise he won't be to hard to fit. But the real rub is what kind of bike to build for him? He's a real noob so I think ease of use is prominent in component choice. I don't know whether to go hybrid of road. Friction or index. I have several frames of either that will fit him or should i just look to find a decent bike and do a extreme rehab. I really want to give him something that he will be happy with and will actually ride and not be like a round peg in a square hole.
Old 06-19-11, 11:48 PM
robertofergy

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1997 Koga Miyata GranSpeed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ive been in 3 similar situation recently.

The first one I acted more as a facilitator to a friend who was looking for a bike or for me to build him one. Since I watch Kijiji(craigslist) like a hawk I found him a nice bike at a good price, he liked it and picked it up, then I tuned it up in exchange for beer.

Secondly my girlfriend has long been asking me to build her a custom purple road bike. She is a noob and doesnt care about vintage, just functionality and it being pretty and purple. Those are number one for noobs, whether it says Campagnolo or Shimano doesnt matter as long as the functionality is there.

Thirdly, my brother has a friend who is in need of a bike so im going to use one of my half finished projected to meet that need.

If you have a frame that will fit him then watching Craigslist is even easier because you can buy any sized bike with a decent group of parts then break that bike down and build it back up on your frame. I recently did that for one of my bikes and have loved the results. The next time I have a frame that I want to build up I will do the exact same thing.
Old 06-20-11, 12:52 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
It's great to help out a friend and introduce them to riding. Have you considered helping him in the search for a bike and then teaching him how to put his new ride into shape? If you pick out and/or build the bike "for" him, you run the risk of becoming the live-in mechanic. Give a man a fish, etc . . .
Old 06-20-11, 05:55 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
It's great to help out a friend and introduce them to riding. Have you considered helping him in the search for a bike and then teaching him how to put his new ride into shape? If you pick out and/or build the bike "for" him, you run the risk of becoming the live-in mechanic. Give a man a fish, etc . . .
+1

I have done this before, and would probably do it again, but I don't think it's a good idea. It's one thing to buy/build a bike and give/sell it to a friend, another to build him a custom bike for a fixed price. There's a line between being generous and being taken advantage of, and you don't want to go anywhere near that line when friendship is involved. If you even start thinking about where that line is, you're too close to it.
Old 06-20-11, 06:00 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
$200 is not a budget to build a bike, $200 is a budget to find something decent and make it road worthy. Unrealistic budget IMHO, or a poor choice of words. Around here, $200 = friction shifting, alloy wheels, alloy crank, cromoly frame. Something midgrade to upper low grade from the mid 1980s. Again, road worthy, fully rehabbed, but not a build.

I also would like a lot more clarity on what he wants: flat bars versus drops, etc. A lot of newbs are drawn to flat bar bikes (hybrids). If so, $200 can buy a pretty decent hybrid, or get him started on a nice rigid frame MTB with smooth tires, and give him some of his money back. Tell him to come back when he is ready/wants a racing bike (where the budget will be higher).

Last edited by wrk101; 06-20-11 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-20-11, 06:16 AM
marley mission
people's champ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
$200 is not a budget to build a bike, $200 is a budget to find something decent and make it road worthy.
this
Old 06-20-11, 07:15 AM
robbied196

Bikes: Harry Hall, Vitus 979, Viscount Aerospace, Dawes Galaxy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by marley mission
this
+1 Personally I'd go with a road bike, if he wants to get fit and lose weight its hills that will do it for him, indexed if you can do it for the money. I just think road bikes are better for hill climbing than hybrids.
Old 06-20-11, 07:31 AM
Jaguarundi

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Prelude, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with you about the round-hole-square-peg thing. If your first experience isn't rewarding you won't keep it up. At the same time, if he's a real noob he probably won't recognize the difference if his bike isn't top notch. It's a psychological thing. If he loves it, he loves it. Just make sure he's aware that $200 won't cover some of the nicer components.

As far as the type of bike, I would say go with your standard road bike. Easy to find parts for and makes your friend feel like a serious cyclist. As far as friction vs index, if there's no clear choice when it comes to difficulty or expense for you, just ask your friend what he wants.
Old 06-20-11, 07:37 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
or show them a bikes direct.com bike, tell them to purchase it and bring it to you for assembly. They get a new bike for a good price.

Quirky friction shifting vintage bikes arent for everyone, especially some noobs.

Old 06-20-11, 07:40 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I'm not sure this is going to go well for you, Bill.
Old 06-20-11, 09:08 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
I don't know about your area and what you have on hand but for $200 I can build a very nice dependable bike for someone new looking to ride, not hard at all and I do it all the time. I think the biggest thing you need to do is find out what type of bike they may have in mind, I think for a new rider something with upright bars would probably be best even if it is a road bike with North Roads on it, Comfort is the key if they are just starting because you want them to continue riding and not have the bike hanging in the garage after a few rides. If your new the grade of components doesn't matter as long as it works good together, they are to new to know any better between Tourney or Dura Ace as long as it works good. If they really like to ride then they will also like to learn a little more about the sport and the different types of bikes and equipment that is out there and can always turn to you for help when needed.

Glenn

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 06-20-11 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-20-11, 09:26 AM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recently did htis for a friend and $300 is about what I charged. I wouldn't undertake a project like this for $200. Either facilitate for them and build them up or up the price. I've only done a frame up build for people twice. Generally people were more willing to spend a little bit more to have something custom and nice. Otherwise I let them know about deals in the area.
Old 06-20-11, 10:00 AM
Dawes-man
十人十色

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I've helped 3 people find bikes. It's a lot of fun and I'd do it again anytime but my conditions are that they strip, clean and rebuild the bikes with me and with the understanding that they will do most of the work, while I'll be there to help and advise.

Here's one - came to around $200:

[IMG]
Delivered - the bar tape is rotted that colour. by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
Finished, outside Narushima Friend, a popular racing bike shop in Harajuku, Tokyo by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 06-20-11, 10:25 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I always politely decline those types of requests. I've been stuck with bikes too many times. (OK, twice, but that's enough)

1-Invariably, what the buyer expects for $200 will not be what can be obtained (almost always STI shifters).
2-2/3 of the time, the buyer changes his/her mind and I've been stuck with a bike.
3-Unless they pay for the parts, or know exactly what they're getting, I prefer to have buyer/buildees supply what they want done, and I'll do the work.

I built a $280 Ironman with RSX STI's, new saddle, cables, housing, wrap, and tires. She bought it and immediately thought she paid too much. I asked her who was putting those ideas into her head...and she was a little ticked, and then admitted it was her boyfriend, a self-proclaimed "expert." I simply told her to have him come over and I'd be glad to discuss it with him. Never heard from her again.

When I built them for sale, I simply built them and then advertised them. Never had anyone not pleased with the price and the bike. However, the two builds I got stuck with and the bargain-basement Ironman really soured me on the experience.
Old 06-20-11, 10:29 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I'm not sure this is going to go well for you, Bill.
So true... Just go and get yourself another bike and let him ride it till he makes up his mind what he wants to do... Come on man... You could always use another bike...
Old 06-20-11, 02:40 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy them are some pointed comments... and well taken. John, my friend is not a person that you would think of as a "customer". A very down to earth and unassuming person., spends almost all of his free time doing charitable work so has a very different attitude about things than most. When I asked what kind of bike he would like he replied that he has not a clue and for me to "just do what you think will work"
I am not selling a bike as I will give him whatever money is left and if it costs me some dollars over I have not a single issue with that and will be happy to eat it. I belieive this is going to be a good thing but understand the trepidation you all have.
I have a mid 80's Univega Tri-oval hybrid frame that will fit and think I am going to start with that. I have a nice 700c wheel set so am going to need to figure out what to do bar wise and for the components. So dollar wise it's all about the gears and tires. I will powdercoat the frame and will need a new saddle but don't know what I will do on that yet
....more to come....
Old 06-20-11, 03:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Shop on craigslist with him. Tell him he may have to spend more.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-20-11, 03:31 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by soonerbills
.... if it costs me some dollars over I have not a single issue with that and will be happy to eat it. .....
That's the attitude . - As long as you understand the value of giving a gift to a friend, you will profit from this transaction.
Old 06-20-11, 04:10 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
If you/he want's to make sure that there is the best chance he could stick to and enjoy riding for the long term, go with indexed shifting. I have to admit that the only reason I stay with friction is just for nostalgia and I did not have a choice back in the early to mid 80's but friction on my Peugeots. As for bikes, If he is interested in C&V French bikes a later PH10 or P8 equivalent with hopefully a 130mm rear spacing should make for a nice, not expensive and close to indestructable ride. Plus, good examples fall into that $200 range easily. Otherwise a 300 series Trek might aslo be an excellent choice for a first C&V bike.

Chombi
Old 06-20-11, 04:17 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawes-man
I've helped 3 people find bikes. It's a lot of fun and I'd do it again anytime but my conditions are that they strip, clean and rebuild the bikes with me and with the understanding that they will do most of the work, while I'll be there to help and advise.

Here's one - came to around $200:

[IMG]
Delivered - the bar tape is rotted that colour. by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
Finished, outside Narushima Friend, a popular racing bike shop in Harajuku, Tokyo by Dawes-man, on Flickr[/IMG]
That is so sharp... nice work

To the OP, building a bike for someone and encouraging them is a great way to share what you have already learned. Good on you. It sounds like it's not a solid business decision but you aren't under those types pf pressures.

Last edited by ftwelder; 06-20-11 at 04:28 PM.