Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 02:39 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Well done. I had a horrible day finishing with a time 3 minutes slower than my previous Church Creek.
Trying to get back to the west really really sucked. I can only hope that the lady that was medevaced off is doing OK. I'm surprised that there aren't more head on collisions. Sure someone will be losing their job for that happening.
sorry it didnt go well.

i did a crit yesterday and a deer ran full speed between the break and the field, which were about 15" apart and both moving around 30 mph. a few seconds either way and it's serious carnage.
Old 08-18-14, 03:44 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
IBO, thanks!!!!
Old 08-18-14, 04:32 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
@sarals, you raced, you finished, you got a medal -- congratulations!

@revchuck, you were there at the end of a 3-event stage race. That counts a lot for your first full season of bike racing. BTW, the snickering things happens to me a lot. I'll go to the front to try to close a gap to a break and the break's teammates just sit on my wheel and think things that I don't want to think about.

@MDcatV, great ride! You listed most every thought that's crossed my mind during a TT.

@Racer Ex, sorry I missed you on Sunday. Would have been fun to see your race from the back of the pack. I "raced" up your favorite mountain on Saturday.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 08-18-14, 04:38 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
MD and Chuck, just had time to read your write ups. Been a tad busy here

MD, you were spot on riding your own race. TT's are all about pacing and discipline, and are like long climbs. When someone passes you, in most cases it's best to ignore them. As often as not they are going too hard and end up going kaboom. It's like following someone through a forest only to realize that neither one of you have any idea where you are going.

Good job. Going 57 in your 2nd 40k is very respectable, and yep, getting aero is the zen path to happiness. Lots of little things accumulate. When/if you start playing with position make sure you don't knock out the endurance, some changes bring the world to an end after 20k. Been there, done that.

Chuck, sounded like a tough go. Heat, a week of standing at work, a long Friday...yep, that's exactly how I would have had you prepare.
Fortunately it's a dry heat down there

Future reference I know guys that run 55/11 for that TT. There's a lot of time to be had on that downhill. No reason to have a 12 on a TT rig, especially in hurricane country. Clean it up, and when no one is looking at the shop swap it out for a new 11/23. Then send your old cassette back to QBP with a nasty note about how one of their people apparently swapped their old cassette for the new one. It's the bike industry. It's expected.

And it's ok to be on the front in a crit...for a little bit. Like 15 seconds. Especially in a small field. Especially on a prime lap. Prime laps are like hanging out at a biker bar at 1AM when there's a really loud argument coming from the pool room. You gotta be prepared for the brawl that's coming. And it's coming.

Big picture? You rode the TT to your target wattage, you finished all three events in a fry cooker (much respect), and you have a lot of reference points for next year.

Congrats all.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 08-18-14 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-18-14, 06:55 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
sorry it didnt go well.

i did a crit yesterday and a deer ran full speed between the break and the field, which were about 15" apart and both moving around 30 mph. a few seconds either way and it's serious carnage.
All good that it didn't go well. Spent the previous week at the beach gettin fat and playing a lot of golf. I no longer slice, so I got that going for me
Deer season starts in a couple three weeks, prepin for that
Old 08-18-14, 06:58 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
All good that it didn't go well. Spent the previous week at the beach gettin fat and playing a lot of golf. I no longer slice, so I got that going for me
Deer season starts in a couple three weeks, prepin for that
Chukar season starts in Nevada in the next month or so. I need to practice running up and down mountains shooting into the air...
Old 08-18-14, 07:33 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
Chuck, put away the Seven Reasons Why I Suck list and focus on the positive. You did pretty darned well, and left it out there, in a stage race in tough conditions. AFTER having a tough week at work! You finished all the events, and your TT was on the mark. Eight seconds? Outstanding! The crit? Don't lead out, I know it's tempting, but when you're all ready fatigued, sit on a wheel, stay out of the wind, stay attached, don't contest primes, and save it for the end. You learned a lot in this one, buddy, and you did really well. Don't beat yourself up. You pinned on a number and went for it. That says a lot.
Originally Posted by MDcatV
@revchuck, sounds like a tough race with temperature conditions, and when it's a small field, it's even harder because it's like riding in a break all day without breakaway mentality (i.e. we should collaborate for a while before we start working against each other).

I've done the "I should have sprinted to get back on instead of what I did," i.e. i should have dug deeper thing, but if I sit down and really consider it, with very few exceptions I was out of shovel, there was no more digging to do.
Originally Posted by Cleave
@revchuck, you were there at the end of a 3-event stage race. That counts a lot for your first full season of bike racing. BTW, the snickering things happens to me a lot. I'll go to the front to try to close a gap to a break and the break's teammates just sit on my wheel and think things that I don't want to think about.
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
MD and Chuck, just had time to read your write ups. Been a tad busy here

MD, you were spot on riding your own race. TT's are all about pacing and discipline, and are like long climbs. When someone passes you, in most cases it's best to ignore them. As often as not they are going too hard and end up going kaboom. It's like following someone through a forest only to realize that neither one of you have any idea where you are going.

Good job. Going 57 in your 2nd 40k is very respectable, and yep, getting aero is the zen path to happiness. Lots of little things accumulate. When/if you start playing with position make sure you don't knock out the endurance, some changes bring the world to an end after 20k. Been there, done that.

Chuck, sounded like a tough go. Heat, a week of standing at work, a long Friday...yep, that's exactly how I would have had you prepare.
Fortunately it's a dry heat down there

Future reference I know guys that run 55/11 for that TT. There's a lot of time to be had on that downhill. No reason to have a 12 on a TT rig, especially in hurricane country. Clean it up, and when no one is looking at the shop swap it out for a new 11/23. Then send your old cassette back to QBP with a nasty note about how one of their people apparently swapped their old cassette for the new one. It's the bike industry. It's expected.

And it's ok to be on the front in a crit...for a little bit. Like 15 seconds. Especially in a small field. Especially on a prime lap. Prime laps are like hanging out at a biker bar at 1AM when there's a really loud argument coming from the pool room. You gotta be prepared for the brawl that's coming. And it's coming.

Big picture? You rode the TT to your target wattage, you finished all three events in a fry cooker (much respect), and you have a lot of reference points for next year.

Congrats all.
All - Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to treat this one as a learning experience.

Ex - There's a good reason I was running a 12-25 cassette. I had planned to swap for an 11-25 specifically due to all the downhill in this race. When I tried to swap cassettes last Wednesday, the freehub came off the hub and the cassette wouldn't let go! Rather than wail on it with a rubber hammer and risk screwing up the Powertap freehub just prior to the race, I decided to go with the 12-25. I'll probably break out the rubber hammer tomorrow...if I screw up the freehub, there's time to get another before my next (last one this season) race.

At least someone was using tall gearing for that TT - one guy recorded 49 mph down that hill.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-19-14, 06:30 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Church Creek 2 report

Not much goodness to report about the race for me. I spent the previous week down at Myrtle Beach with the in-laws, wife and daughter and had a great time. Worked on the golf game, first time out since August 2013. Sorted out my slice and managed to shoot in the 90's twice. I'll take that for only golfing 2-3 times a year.

Got home Friday night after a 12 hour drive in time to pack, get 6 hours sleep and head over to the shore.

Now that I've had a chance to look at the data for both Church Creek #1 and Church Creek #2 the data supports what my body was telling me; no legs and no lungs. Power for the second event was 90% of the first one. The power lines looked to be about the same when over-layed and the HR was only slightly lower.

3 minutes slower than the first event and a 12th place finish behind some screaming fast folks. I'm good with that. The family won't go hungry and my bills will still get paid.

The trip back across the Chesapeake Bay bridge was slow but I managed to make it to my brothers house and we fished the bay on Sunday. Caught 2 Rockfish which went in the freezer

With hunting season right around the corner it may just be the last one for me. I've exceeded all of my expectations for the year
Old 08-19-14, 06:41 AM
revchuck 
OMC

With hunting season right around the corner it may just be the last one for me. I've exceeded all of my expectations for the year
IBO - That ain't a bad way to finish up!

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-19-14, 09:04 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

IBO, you've had a banner year. That's bigger than a single race, it's the overall - and overall you were steadily improving, and exceeding your goals. I'd say you're a winner all around.
Old 08-19-14, 09:36 AM
IBOHUNT

Originally Posted by revchuck
IBO - That ain't a bad way to finish up!
Thanks. It's a *maybe* done. Bow season starts on the 5th of Sept and I've yet to even see if trying to pull a bow back will pull my shoulder off. I got my SC Gator permit and that hunt will take place end of Sept. That's when life starts to be fun.

I have to tip my cap to you sir. You've come a long way and having to deal with the flat and heat that you deal with would make me want to not ride. The week I spent at the beach was enough for me.

IBO, you've had a banner year. That's bigger than a single race, it's the overall - and overall you were steadily improving, and exceeding your goals. I'd say you're a winner all around.
Thanks Sara. I wouldn't say it's been a banner year but a good one; Came back form the collar bone thing stronger on the bike than I thought I'd ever be but I only lost my lunch 3 out of 4 times I may have to do one more just so there isn't that bad taste of last weekend in my mouth
Old 08-19-14, 09:52 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
posted a *gasp* MTB race report over here.
Old 08-19-14, 12:03 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Teton, bees get mad at me, too. That was quite a report! Great job on getting on that podium. Congrats!!
Old 08-20-14, 01:40 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Seeing a lot of names of people, whom I know, that are winning medals or getting on the podium at Masters Track Nationals. In fact, I subbed for one of them a couple of weeks ago in a 3 Km team pursuit at VSC.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 08-24-14, 03:21 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Tempus Fugit ITT, Cull Canyon course, Castro Valley, CA, WM 60+

I won. "I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you". In other words, you have to show up to beat me!

Time was 38:17, average speed was 17.4MPH, NP 140 watts. All paltry compared to you guys, and to my teammate. But, it's getting better!

Cull Canyon is an out and back, uphill out with a lot of sharp rollers. Not my kind of course, but so what. It's a challenge, and if I don't do it, how am I going to gain experience and improve? And, I've reached a point in this season where I am enjoying the experience. No more dark thoughts, and if one pops up, I quickly squelch it. Hey, everyone else is hurting too, lets see how much deeper I can go. On the uphill, I started easy, targeting 150 watts. My goal was to be S M O O T H, not necessarily fast. I did well on the first half of the climb, stayed aero, and kept the power on. Then, the bike missed a few shifts (Microshift shifters....), and that rattled me and my rhythm got off. I regained some composure, but I burned some matches in the process, and could not sustain the kind of power on the upper part of the course that I did on the lower. I hit the turnaround, and just lit it up. It was slightly disconcerting when I was blowing along at 31 MPH and another rider passed me. Seriously? However, I just kept within me and kept going. The bottom of the course is technical, lots of left/right tight twisties, but I stayed aero, went "whoa" a couple of times when I thought I was too hot into a curve, but came out the other end, still aero and still pedaling. I turned it up to all I had for the line, and felt pretty darned good about my slow time.

Seven Reasons? Not this time.
Old 08-24-14, 03:24 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Way to go, Sara!

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-24-14, 03:55 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent!!!! What impressed me the most was how you kept it together. Your progression is going very nicely.
Old 08-25-14, 03:36 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Congrats Sarah!
Old 08-25-14, 07:20 AM
IBOHUNT

That's awesome Sara. Not letting the other person that passed you get in your head is huge. That medal drawer will be full this time next year.

Ahem,,,, percentage check in the mail?
Old 08-25-14, 07:53 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tempus Fugit ITT, Cull Canyon course, Castro Valley, CA, WM 60+

I won. I turned it up to all I had for the line, and felt pretty darned good about my time.

Seven Reasons? Not this time.
Old 08-25-14, 08:55 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Masters Track Nationals at Marymoore Velodrome in Redmond, WA

500 meters: Bronze 4th of 12
2K Pursuit: Bronze 3rd of 7
Team Pursuit: Silver 2nd of 3
Team Sprint: Bronze 3rd of 4

Finished racing yesterday and drove from Redmond to Medford, OR. I will get home this PM. It was totally fun Nationals with great weather. As hard as it is to travel with all the equipment and race, it is a total blast and worth the effort when it is all said and done.
Old 08-25-14, 09:26 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Four medals in four events? Holy crap. You are a monster.
Old 08-25-14, 09:42 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11397 Post(s)
Liked 4,739 Times in 2,761 Posts
Great stuff All!
Old 08-25-14, 10:11 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Hermes, WOW!!! You are amazing!!!
Old 08-25-14, 11:34 AM
IBOHUNT

Hermes turned on the Beast mode. Well done Sir!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.