Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

randonneur bars

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

randonneur bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-05, 10:17 AM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now, I know this has been a subject at least a couple of times on the forums, but I can't find much info via search. So, I want a pair of randonneur style bars. What I like are the flared drops. I could skip the curved flats. I understand TTT Morphe randonneur bars fit this bill.

1. Somebady mentioned bars with flared drops...what were they?

1. Is this the only brand available for the 'new style?" I know nitto makes the old style.

2. Where can I find them?

3. If you use the old style, do they bother your wrists?

Last edited by lala; 02-10-05 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-10-05, 11:55 AM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps I should have posted in the general topic forum?
Old 02-10-05, 12:26 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know the bars you are talking about, I saw them recently when I was looking for bars ,but I can't recall who makes them. I was thinking Nitto but that is probaly wrong.

ha! I just remembered! Wildnerness trail bikes makes(made) that bar, I'm not sure if it is still in production or not, here is a pic of them on a rivendell
Old 02-10-05, 12:29 PM
lala
contrarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woot! Thanks! Those are practically moustasche bars! I'll check it out.
I'm still up for other suggestions, tho.

WTB off-road handlebar see below. last made, I think, in 2004. Interesting.

Last edited by lala; 02-10-05 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-10-05, 12:33 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
I bet Machka would know about those bars.
Old 02-10-05, 12:44 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lala
Woot! Thanks! Those are practically moustasche bars! I'll check it out.
I'm still up for other suggestions, tho.
yeah they drop about 90-100 mm , the mustache is about a 50mm drop
here is a link to another view https://www.rivendellbicycles.com/gal..._front_400.jpg
The nitto randoneer has a pretty good flare to it but not as extreme as the WTB
Old 02-10-05, 12:49 PM
lala
contrarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I think I answered my own question. I found this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=flared+bars

Salsa was the manufacturer and cyclocross was the forum!

Salsa bell lap/moto ace bell lap. But you can't really see the degree of flare. cool.
Old 02-10-05, 01:25 PM
lala
contrarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad
yeah they drop about 90-100 mm , the mustache is about a 50mm drop
here is a link to another view https://www.rivendellbicycles.com/gal..._front_400.jpg
The nitto randoneer has a pretty good flare to it but not as extreme as the WTB
Upon thinking on this, these may not be appropriate for my road bike, because I really like to lean, or hang off the drops on the long tours...

But these may be good for mt xtracycle. I can't imaging riding on the hoods, eh?
Old 02-10-05, 06:04 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out:

www.sheldonbrown.com Go to the Harris Cyclery part of the site

also

www.rivbike.com

Either one can help you find what you want or something close to it. I'm a fan of the Nitto Noodle bar at Rivendell.
Old 02-10-05, 08:40 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I felt that the dirt drops were way too wide for me. They are quite a bit wider than moustache bars. I've since taken them off and am currently using moustache bars which I prefer.
Old 02-10-05, 10:20 PM
lala
contrarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are pretty damn wide. hmph. I think i'll have to go old school, or test ride someone's 'stache bars. Thanks for the photo, fixer!
Old 02-11-05, 08:37 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The QBP catalog has the nitto randonneur bars. aebike.com sells them for $25 (cheap!). Beware though, that the aebike bars require 25.4mm clamp (most road stems have 26.0mm clamps) so you may need to get a shim (available at Rivendell).
Old 02-11-05, 08:58 AM
lala
contrarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
The QBP catalog has the nitto randonneur bars. aebike.com sells them for $25 (cheap!). Beware though, that the aebike bars require 25.4mm clamp (most road stems have 26.0mm clamps) so you may need to get a shim (available at Rivendell).

Thanks!
Old 02-14-05, 08:08 PM
North"wet"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put Nitto Randonneur bars on my Trek 520. I had an old Fuji S12S LTD with these bars that I loved, but it got crunched in a corporate move. Went back to this bar because I liked it so much for touring and the different hand positions available.
The old bars were 42cm but I decided on the 45cm size this time and ordered from Harris Cyclery, with the shim. The old rule of thumb was to get bars (at the drops) that are as wide as your shoulder. The 42cm was a tight fit for my old Eclipse handlebar bag and the 45cm feels just right.
Just finished the bars with amber shellaced natural cork to match the new Brooks saddle. Looks great with the Nitto quill stem.
Later,
North"wet"
Poulsbo, WA
Old 03-28-05, 02:03 PM
2WheelMotion

Bikes: 2002 Surly Instigator, 1999 Litepseed Blue Ridge, 1997 Trek Y-33, 1992 Schwinn 540

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been doing a little research on comfortable touring/randonneur bars. Here are my favourites:

Specialized Body Geometry - 6 degree back sweep, flared drops, and the top drops from the stem. Very comfortable, very hard to find not already installed on a Specialized bike. 2004 in the 26.0 size, 2005 model with funky plastic/rubber sleeve at 30.0 size (manufactured obsolescence, a lynch-pin of strategic marketing)

Nitto Noodle 177 - www.rivendellbicycles.com 42-48cm width (yes, 48cm! for Gorillas and pot-bellied curmudgeons) with a sweep back, slight drop flare, and flatter ramps to the hoods $47 -$52 (specially designed by the retro-grouches and curmudgeons at Rivendell. A great bar.)

Nitto 135 - Randonneur bar, flared drops, back sweep, and a raised elbow? Great bar for a great price. 42c, 45c width www.sheldonbrown.com or Harris Cyclery $35

Salsa Moto Ace Bell Lap - Flared drops, 42cm - 46cm. Unfortunately no sweep back. A comfortable main-stream bar for touring/cyclocross. Available everywhere, about $39.

**The Nitto bars are probably 25.4 diameter at the clamp, so you most likely need a sleeve for a newer stem (26.0). Presently, bike companies are designing more and more 31.8 diameter bars and stems.
Old 03-28-05, 02:17 PM
lala
contrarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good research!
Old 03-28-05, 02:42 PM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lala,
We have a few of the old school versions at the co-op.
Feel free to stop by next time you are in town or PM me and maybe we can make arrangements to send one out to you.
I found the riding position awkward and hard on the wrists, but If you want to try a used one for gigles you know where to get-em.

Enjoy
Old 03-28-05, 02:49 PM
lala
contrarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by powers2b
Lala,
We have a few of the old school versions at the co-op.
Feel free to stop by next time you are in town or PM me and maybe we can make arrangements to send one out to you.
I found the riding position awkward and hard on the wrists, but If you want to try a used one for gigles you know where to get-em.

Enjoy

Thanks. I hope not to be in town for a long time. I picked up a pair before I left, but then realized they were too narrow. There wasn't much of a selection in December. After riding a regular ergo type bar, I realized that the curved top tube is not a selling point: tho I still like the flared drops.
Old 03-28-05, 11:49 PM
rlong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should check out the new "flat top" bars Bontragor is putting on treks, etc. I was looking for touring bars with zero drop from the bar top to the hoods and Bontragor is the only one doing it, hense "flat top". Plus the distance to the drop position is very shallow, which I also like. But no flair
P.S. I was impressed by the Rivendell position on bar width and bought 46's. I love them and would never go back to the shoulder width formula.

Last edited by rlong; 03-28-05 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 02:41 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by rlong
You should check out the new "flat top" bars Bontragor is putting on treks, etc. I was looking for touring bars with zero drop from the bar top to the hoods and Bontragor is the only one doing it, hense "flat top". Plus the distance to the drop position is very shallow, which I also like. But no flair
P.S. I was impressed by the Rivendell position on bar width and bought 46's. I love them and would never go back to the shoulder width formula.
The Ritchey Biomax is close to a flat top. I have been tempted by the idea of going to 46, haven't tried it yet.
Old 04-07-05, 06:43 PM
rlong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by late
The Ritchey Biomax is close to a flat top. I have been tempted by the idea of going to 46, haven't tried it yet.
Yes, I looked at the ritchey biomax as well, but decided the drop was still too much. I did a lot of looking before I realized that I was surrounded by the "flat top" Bontragor bars in my LBS. Funny how things like that happen.
Old 04-07-05, 11:56 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Nitto Dirt Drop bars on my tourer, and I really like them. I "think" they are now called the Randoneur model. They have a bit of outward flare to the drops, but not too crazy. Suprisingly, I use the bottom drop position (flat near the bar ends) a lot while climbing if loaded. Super stable+comfortable.
Old 04-08-05, 09:09 PM
Hawkgrove
Roam

Bikes: 2003 Jamis Aurora 2013 Surly LHT 26" wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Google search "on-one midge". I'm also looking for a randonneur style bar and came across these. They are similar to the WTB dirt drops, I've read the geometry is more comfortable. Check out www.webcyclery.com, they carry them.