Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Biking across America, coast to coast

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 11:04 PM
PiratePete

Bikes: 2003 Trek 1000, 2004 Diamondback XSL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Me and a couple of friends are thinking about biking from FL to CA this summer. 3000 miles. We're 20-21, in the best shape of our lives, and this summer will probably be the last chance to do something like this. Does this sound doable with over a month of free time, a lot of carefull planning, doing about 100 miles a day? All the gear will of course be in bike trailers; planning to sleep in a tent most of the time. Anyone with any kind of similar experiences, please chime in.
Old 04-06-05, 07:24 AM
AllieP

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a similar experience but as a 40 year old deep in the throes of raising a teenager, mortgage, financial problems, and other limiting constraints in my life -- I have to say PLEASE GO FOR IT!!!! how on earth could you not given the opportunity? DO IT - there's no way you could regret it. DO IT and I wish you the best of times. You should post a journal somewhere along the way to keep us updated on your progress and experiences. Or keep the journal updated and then post it after you've completed it. There's a neat little thing called Pocketmail that long distance thru-hikers use to post their journals everytime they find a pay phone. Check it out at trailjournals.com.
Allie
Old 04-06-05, 07:31 AM
wangster
MADE IN TAIWAN

Bikes: Tarmac, Humble, Makino, Schwinn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
definately doable. Couple of my friends did it last summer, but they went from NYC to washington and then down the westcoast. They mainly slept in camps with sleeping bags. I think they did it under a month. One of those psychos did it on a fixie, don't know what possesed him to do that.
Old 04-06-05, 08:00 AM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
There are quite a number of books written by various folks who have done "coast to coast" rides, going all the way back to 1880 or so. One of the most interesting of those books was a family that tried to ride from New Jersey to California back in 1969. They rode 40 pound Schwinn bikes with wire baskets on the handlebars and rear with tents and gear. A toddler seat for their two year old riding behind Dad.

THAT effort ended in New Mexico. "Dad" had not done his homework, so he did not know that going across Kansas, and Oklahoma in July he would be riding into twenty mile an hour winds blowing from west to east...nor had he thought about the July temperatures in the deserts of New Mexico and Arizona.

So, if I ever attempt that ride, I would probably ride from west to east...keep the prevailing wind at my back. Maybe get through the deserts of the west in a cooler month, such as March. And, at my age, that would get me to Florida around...November?