Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's the best protection from punctures?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's the best protection from punctures?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-23, 05:38 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
If biking fast in a triathlon is the intention, I don't think fat tires are the way. Tri bike frames seem to max out at 28 mm, which seems to be an optimum (at least the manufacturers think so).

Unless you're riding really rough roads, you will be giving up watts with fat tires at low pressure.
The difference in Watts will be very marginal and she will be much faster if she doesn’t keep crashing!
Old 10-14-23, 07:08 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
The difference in Watts will be very marginal and she will be much faster if she doesn’t keep crashing!
OK, I admit that not crashing is more significant than marginal gains.

But for those TT and Tri competitors who have figured out the "not crashing" part, running fat tires would be a marginal loss.

Old 10-14-23, 07:40 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
My experience over the last few years is that while the folks I ride with are split 50/50 for tubeless or clinchers with tubes, almost all the flats are tubes. And the time to get back on the road for tubes is greater.

Yes, it is going to cost money to go tubeless. For about $850 Jen can get a set of Light Bicycle carbon rims on DT Swiss 350 hubs setup without any through holes so there will be no tape to futz with. Add another $80 and get a pair of Vittoria inserts. Finally, add $120 that I just paid for a pair of Goodyear Eagle/R tires and you have a top of the line tire. So for just over $1,050 there will be no flats, and even if there is a puncture that doesn't seal she should not loose control.

Triathlon is not a cheap sport, but that is not very much money for a performance and safety improvement. Or run some garden hose tires with tubes and hope they don't puncture or get a sidewall cut.
Old 10-14-23, 11:29 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Maybe you do, maybe you don't, but I would assume that even having a chance to finish a triathlon before the organizers pack it up and go home (i.e., what you do) would require more planning than just going for a ride after finishing work ahead of time (i.e.. what I do)?
I'm pretty good at doing the things I like. I would make a really great pro athlete. I go out and perform. When I'm done, I give my stuff to a team that does all the maintenance. My problem is I'm just not any good as an athlete either.
Originally Posted by AllegroMike
Sometimes an old school tire wiper is the best remedy for puncture protection.

I would totally try that.
If biking fast in a triathlon is the intention, I don't think fat tires are the way. Tri bike frames seem to max out at 28 mm, which seems to be an optimum (at least the manufacturers think so).

Unless you're riding really rough roads, you will be giving up watts with fat tires at low pressure.
I'm looking at going up to 28, but I think that's about as wide as most of my bikes will accept. Doubt I could go to 32 on my current bikes even if I wanted.
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
My experience over the last few years is that while the folks I ride with are split 50/50 for tubeless or clinchers with tubes, almost all the flats are tubes. And the time to get back on the road for tubes is greater.

Yes, it is going to cost money to go tubeless. For about $850 Jen can get a set of Light Bicycle carbon rims on DT Swiss 350 hubs setup without any through holes so there will be no tape to futz with. Add another $80 and get a pair of Vittoria inserts. Finally, add $120 that I just paid for a pair of Goodyear Eagle/R tires and you have a top of the line tire. So for just over $1,050 there will be no flats, and even if there is a puncture that doesn't seal she should not loose control.

Triathlon is not a cheap sport, but that is not very much money for a performance and safety improvement. Or run some garden hose tires with tubes and hope they don't puncture or get a sidewall cut.
Very true. But I also run older, budget-friendly bikes.

I am considering the tubeless option. Need to resolve some debt issues first. Nothing major, should be good by end of the year. Maybe start shopping then.
Old 10-15-23, 04:22 AM
PeteHski

OK, I admit that not crashing is more significant than marginal gains.

But for those TT and Tri competitors who have figured out the "not crashing" part, running fat tires would be a marginal loss.
Yeah sure, 28 mm tubeless tyres on optimised wide aero rims would be the ideal. She would be able to run about 70-75 psi instead of 90-100 psi on narrower tyres/rims and running tubeless would prevent most flats.

Frame clearance will set a practical limit anyway. But 30 or 32 mm tyres offer a useful further drop in pressure, which makes sealant more effective and less pressure drop with a puncture. 28 mm might be fractionally faster on the smoothest roads, but it’s only going to be significant if you are winning or losing races by a handful of seconds. The focus for Jen appears to be more avoiding flats and potential crashes.
Old 10-16-23, 05:35 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR

I agree with you on that. 15 000km (9000+mi) so far without a single flat and I roll on all kinds of roads with all kinds of debris on it. 100% of the flats I've witnessed this year during group rides were with tubes.

It's a good investment whenever you're not riding on perfect / new pavement.
Old 10-16-23, 06:15 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by eduskator
100% of the flats I've witnessed this year during group rides were with tubes.
Same for me. Flats are a rarity on tubeless. I've had one in 3 years and it was a deep cut by a piece of sharp metal debris. It was on a fast descent and the sealant slowed down the air leak enough that I could brake safely before it went flat. It was actually the hissing noise that alerted me to the puncture.
Old 10-16-23, 10:53 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Yikes, methinx. This has really gone hyperbolic. Get the Gatorskins or the Schwalbe's and get on with it. Don't overcomplicate it. And the "harshest ride ever" of the Gatorskins is a bit exaggerated. I have them GP5000 on the A-bike and Gators on the B-bike. The difference in the tires doesn't really change my day. Riding just under 70psi versus 90psi really does change my day - that's much more important to the ride quality than the compound (in my view). And I do have to "top up" the pressure in both bikes pretty much every other ride.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-17-23, 04:53 AM
Biker2022

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I am getting extremely tired of picking my old, broken butt off the road because of some stupid thorn or auto tire debris.
How many miles a week do you ride? (I myself experienced about 5-10 flats with my Kenda tires in 2022 and only 2 this year so far.)

Is "puncture resistant" an industry-wide term -- or is it defined acc. to the desires/whims of each particular brand?

Last edited by Biker2022; 10-17-23 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-17-23, 11:28 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I've had a high speed, down hill, front tire, blow out that resulted in a crash. So I can relate.
I ride gatorskins and check my tires often for cracks, frays, shards of glass, etc. Safety first!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-17-23, 01:02 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I find that aging a tire works well for me. (6 mo. to a year or more.) I've zero flat in the past 3 years.
Old 10-17-23, 06:04 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I find that aging a tire works well for me. (6 mo. to a year or more.) I've zero flat in the past 3 years.
Do you hang them up like cured hams?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-17-23, 06:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Do you hang them up like cured hams?
Goes without saying that you have to hang them up. The more pertinent questions are what to season the tires with (Slime? Stan? Orange Seal? Dirt from Paris-Roubaix?), and whether to dry age (just hang) or wet age (wrap, then hang) them.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 10-18-23, 12:20 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Biker2022
How many miles a week do you ride? (I myself experienced about 5-10 flats with my Kenda tires in 2022 and only 2 this year so far.)

Is "puncture resistant" an industry-wide term -- or is it defined acc. to the desires/whims of each particular brand?
Not as much as most here, probably somewhere around 50 or 60. Cycling is just one of several things I do, including swimming, skating, running and weight training.
Old 10-18-23, 06:46 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Best - ultimate - super duper effective - puncture protection is to not ride. I confirm that you will NEVER get any. 100% guaranteed or you get your money back.
Old 10-18-23, 08:42 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I'd recommend tubeless for various reasons but flat protection is a big one. I only have one bike that has tubes. I rarely use it outside but I did the other day. I would have been fine normally and even with tubes but the county had closed that long bike path on the way back home. So it detoured me and I had to ride by some construction areas where the tractors/backhoes had churned up the dirt onto the other path and I eventually ran over some goatheads...instant flats on both tires. Good lesson. That weekend I converted that last bike to tubeless since it also has tubeless-ready alloy rims. I have been tubeless on the road for a few years but gravel for many years and MTB since 2004! Once you pick up the nuances of tubeless, it is foolproof.

One caveat- I only use water tires that lend themselves better to tubeless. I use nothing on the road below a stated 30 and usually 32 is it....the 32s measure 34. I run lower PSI on my primary road bike (55-60) and that is good for tubeless. A 25 at 90 PSI will not work as well. I have had it work but the pressure will drop significantly and you may have to spin the hole to the bottomed bounce the wheel on the ground if you hear the hiss of escaping air. It is the only time I actually heard my road tubeless losing air. It dropped from around 80 PSI to around 50 PSI and sealed up. It was a fragile (Schwalbe) tire around 200 grams. Still, it was fine form then on.
Old 10-18-23, 08:58 AM
VegasJen

As long as this thread is still alive, can someone please explain to me where these mysterious "airless" tires are? Manufacturers (at least auto tire manufacturers, e.g. Goodyear, Bridgestone, Yokahama, etc.) have been teasing people with flat proof "airless" tires for at least 30+ years. Seems like bicycles would be a very easy and cheap market to do some real-world testing.
Old 10-18-23, 09:01 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
When I read:

"I recommend tubeless tires for their flat protection",

my mind hears:

"I recommend liquid sealant in tires for its flat protection".

Old 10-18-23, 09:06 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If one rides at night/in the darkness, a cross and a garlic necklace are good defenses against certain types of punctures.
Old 10-18-23, 10:54 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
When I read:

my mind hears:

I did run with sealant in tubes for a couple of years before switching over to tubeless, and while it was an improvement in puncture resistance it did not have the full range of benefits that running tubeless bestows.

Case in point: last Sunday morning I was riding along at about 25 MPH riding on a sweeping curve minding my own business when I heard the distinct sound of air and sealant rushing out of my tire. I knew that this had to be a large cut. Much more than just a staple or a screw in the tire. The issue at hand now is to decelerate from 25 to 0 in a controlled and non-destructive manner...

It did turn out that I had a slice that was too large to plug with a single bacon strip. My experience with tubes (even with sealant) is that a large slice at speed while turning is not a good situation. While it is not the best way to end a ride with tubeless, my tire did not unseat from the rim and I didn't wind up hitting the deck. I am aware that tubular tires also offer this benefit, and I suppose that tubeless tubulars might be the best solution, but I find the gluing process to be more of a phaff than tubeless clincher tires.
Old 10-18-23, 11:29 PM
VegasJen

So it happened again today. Another *%$^@$ goathead thorn got me. Realized about 20 miles into my ride, which also happened to be exactly half way between my house and where I parked my vehicle.

Then I had to do something I've never done before. I accepted help from a passer by. A lady stopped and asked if I needed help. Since the patch on my spare tube failed, I really had no other option so we loaded my bike in the back of her SUV and she drove me back to my truck. When I got home I checked both tubes and found the holes. I just bought some new rubber cement because I was concerned my old can had started to deteriorate. We shall see if my new repairs take.
Old 10-19-23, 02:13 AM
PeteHski

When I read:

my mind hears:

Slime tubes might be a simple option for the OP, but they are not as effective as tubeless.
Old 10-19-23, 02:32 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
So it happened again today. Another *%$^@$ goathead thorn got me. Realized about 20 miles into my ride, which also happened to be exactly half way between my house and where I parked my vehicle.

Then I had to do something I've never done before. I accepted help from a passer by. A lady stopped and asked if I needed help. Since the patch on my spare tube failed, I really had no other option so we loaded my bike in the back of her SUV and she drove me back to my truck. When I got home I checked both tubes and found the holes. I just bought some new rubber cement because I was concerned my old can had started to deteriorate. We shall see if my new repairs take.
I just looked up goathead thorns. Man I don’t envy you. Tubeless might help but I wouldn’t put money on it.
Old 10-19-23, 09:05 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts

They may be a bit slower - but Armadillo Elite tires are fairly bomb proof. The rubber compounds they use have improved over the years, so they are not as "rubber hose" as they were before - but these tires just resist punctures.

I've had two flats this year with my GP5000's, had multiple flats over the years with my Turbo Pro's - zero flats with the Armadillos. They are slower - but for training purposes, speed doesn't really matter.

Edit:
I've been reading up on riding Mt Lemmon in Tucson - the local bike rental shop mentions goat heads, talks about not using race type tires, and equips all of their rental bikes with Armadillos.
Old 10-19-23, 08:03 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I just looked up goathead thorns.
I just looked this up too. Damn, they look like the aliens in Season 1 of Invasion:
Likes For SoSmellyAir:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.