Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Attacked by Adolf the killer German shepard!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Attacked by Adolf the killer German shepard!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-06, 07:15 AM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
Well, obviously our friend should dedicate his life to chasing down some guy who probably can't pay it anyway. Believe me that it's a lot better to forget it and chalk it up to bad luck.

And let's be frank - if he'd have been a little more alert (not saying I'm any different mind you) he could have gotten away from the dog before it got within range. Or he could have stopped so that the dog didn't hit him full force.

It is in a dog's instinct to chase things running away from it. A nice big friendly old stray could have done as much damage as one did to a good friend of mine.

We can grouse about it but don't take it seriously.
Obviously you have no concern for a kid that could be attacked in the same manner! Dude, you would not sing that tune if it were you attacked I am sure. I say this to you..............your wife or child is killed by a drunk driver who drives a $750 Pinto if valued at that who has nothing, actually rents a single wide mobile home. Do you forgive his actions or do you pursue this jerk in court? Negligence being drunk................negligence letting your dog attack!

I think you need to think before you post!
Old 03-18-06, 08:07 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
The suggestion that the guy deliberately let his dog attack is dubious. He probably wasn't paying attention, or it happened quickly before he could react...the OP said it was a sudden thing. Not to excuse, just to point out that there's no reason to assume malice.
Old 03-18-06, 09:32 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
To forgive may be divine, but alas we're human. Tom I genuinely don't get your fatalistic roll over and play dead attitude on this one. It wasn't a stray, we don't know if the guy is in debt or not, but we do know that the dog was trained and owner, quite literally, ran from his responsibilities as a member of society.
While I think reasonable efforts should be made to track this guy down, the OP presumably has a life and the disruption caused by the incident needs to be contained.

I don't know what the dog owner's motivations were and don't excuse his actions. It is possible that he immediately realized how serious the situation was, was afraid of losing a close companion, and panicked.

If my dog attacked someone (I can't imagine this, but kids sometimes get attacked by dogs they've got on well with for years), it's not the money I'd be worried about. I wouldn't relish paying thousands of dollars in medical bills and to settle the claim but that's a responsbility I could handle with no regrets. Losing the dog would be another matter entirely.

It is possible that the dog owner really learned a lesson that day. The OP shouldn't have to pay for that lesson, but if he can't find the guy and get him to pay up, it's time to chalk one up to bad luck. Consider how many postings on BF are about hit and run drivers, many of whom are never found.
Old 03-18-06, 01:23 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Cyclingtom,

I'm not suggesting that the OP track down the owner and haul his butt
into court, I'm very much not into suing people, but ensure that the owner
of the dog in question be held responsible for the dog's behaviour.
If Adolf is a shutzhund, and has the parentage they go for huge amounts
of money. $1500 to $5000 is not unheard of.
Charl, I had a GSD Aussie Shepherd mix that liked to nip (sorta move
one along if they were on "her" property. She went after one of my son's
friends (who stupidly climbed the fence into the yard), the police said no
problem etc but we gave her up, she was just too unpredictable. She ended
up a bomb dog in North Carolina I belive), Va. (where I lived) had the 2 strikes
and you're dog's getting put to sleep, I believe that is the case in most states.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 03-18-06, 01:49 PM
GrannyGear
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my sympathy.....guy's a total schmuck and whatever rhymes with it.
Old 03-18-06, 01:55 PM
Comatose51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C_heath
wait till 10 pm, then burn his house down

yea, I said it.
I second that.
Old 03-18-06, 06:11 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
I'm not suggesting that the OP track down the owner and haul his butt
into court,
I am.
Old 03-18-06, 06:53 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by msheron
Obviously you have no concern for a kid that could be attacked in the same manner! Dude, you would not sing that tune if it were you attacked I am sure. I say this to you..............your wife or child is killed by a drunk driver who drives a $750 Pinto if valued at that who has nothing, actually rents a single wide mobile home. Do you forgive his actions or do you pursue this jerk in court? Negligence being drunk................negligence letting your dog attack!

I think you need to think before you post!
Yeah! And what about the little old blind lady cyclists that could be killed by an attacking doberman too!

In case you aren't smart enough to have noticed this - there weren't any kids involved. There was a guy with a bike with $1000 worth of wheels on it. No little children, no crippled old ladies, no Jews for Adolf to attack. Got it?

Now you COULD invent a thousand scenarios in which you show up as Super Jew and chase off the big bad dog. Or call up goose stepping policia forces to chase down some guy that - maybe you missed it - he had never met before?

I suggest you get a good hold on your imagination, determine that the WORST that could happen is that the dog could be taken in and tested for rabies and the owner could be forced to pay damages and PERHAPS a small fine.

Explain to me again how this protects small children, little old crippled ladies and large toothy dogs?
Old 03-18-06, 07:45 PM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah! And what about the little old blind lady cyclists that could be killed by an attacking doberman too!

In case you aren't smart enough to have noticed this - there weren't any kids involved. There was a guy with a bike with $1000 worth of wheels on it. No little children, no crippled old ladies, no Jews for Adolf to attack. Got it?

Now you COULD invent a thousand scenarios in which you show up as Super Jew and chase off the big bad dog. Or call up goose stepping policia forces to chase down some guy that - maybe you missed it - he had never met before?

I suggest you get a good hold on your imagination, determine that the WORST that could happen is that the dog could be taken in and tested for rabies and the owner could be forced to pay damages and PERHAPS a small fine.

Explain to me again how this protects small children, little old crippled ladies and large toothy dogs?
First and foremost I did not say there were kids involved..........if you were smart enough to have read that then you would have understood the statement. I don't know where your from but I see kids riding bikes alot along the rural roads...............if that had been a kid riding there could have been a possibility of a kid being hurt that could not defend themselves like an adult. I am not reading into anything other than you have a owner that #1: Should keep their hound on a leash! #2: Regardless of the injuries Ripa received or not, be genuine and concerned and offer to pay for any damages incurred by them.

The guy admitted his dog dislikes bikes..................if he dislikes bikes, what else does Rin Tin Tin dislike, you because you look funny to him, your daughter because she wears a dress, you wife because she drives a Volvo! Yes we can go on.................point being and I don't think I will get too many arguments on this, or at least from educated persons, you are responsible for your pet as you are with a minor child that knocks out the next door neighbor's window with a rock. The dog should have been leashed and if not, the owner bears the brunt of the damages either punitive or actual!

I do this daily in both state and federal courts, I am not ignorant to the law or some avg. schmuck that knows nothing of the civil aspect as well. If you condone people with potentially aggressive dogs to run free and at times attack folks, then please never come to my neighborhood. I along with most wish for a civilized world where folks can feel safe with walking, riding their bike, running, or what ever without the possibility of having all the Adolph's chasing you down.

So rebuttle if you wish, I care not to read anything that wastes my time.
Old 03-18-06, 08:23 PM
BicycleMonkey

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hell_yes
I agree completely. I was wondering why nobody mentioned the fact that the German Shephard was named Adolf!!!
The dog could have been named Blondie (Hitler's German Shephard)
Old 03-18-06, 09:08 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Did I miss something or is there really a reason why you are using terms like "Super Jew" all of a sudden? You either need decaf or to dislodge your head from your posterior if this is how you handle rational discussion.
Old 03-18-06, 11:03 PM
thewalrus
CAT6 UTP 568B

Bikes: 2005 Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by krispistoferson
Did I miss something or is there really a reason why you are using terms like "Super Jew" all of a sudden? You either need decaf or to dislodge your head from your posterior if this is how you handle rational discussion.
My guess is he's trolling, and trying to get somebody to invoke godwin's law as quickly as possible.
Old 03-19-06, 12:14 AM
classic1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It vas not my fault. I vas only following orders.

Besides, all zis talk ov finding me is ridiculous. I laugh at you. No vay vill you find me in Paraguay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
adolf.jpg (24.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by classic1; 03-19-06 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-19-06, 05:52 AM
charl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Old 03-19-06, 06:07 AM
charl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

Cyclimton
What's up? You just trolling for confrontation? Your 'insightful' comments are really outrageous. I would think we can avoid racism here on bike forums.

We all know there were no blind old ladies with their crippled children in the original description of the attack. However, that was merely by chance. I think we can also all agree that certain outcomes are perfectly predictable even if they have never taken place. For example, I don't let my children run around the house holding my newly sharpened kitchen knives. (or even the dull ones for that matter) The kids have never cut themselves and my knives have never hurt a person before, but gosh, I think it's really conceivable that a tool which is known to slash through meat with ease could readily cause harm when not used properly. Furthermore, I would be responsible if that happened.

A dog with a known hatred of bicycles has to have acted aggressively towards bicycles in the past otherwise his owner wouldn't have know that about him. You and I don't know what else little adolf doesn't like. He is predictably a dangerous dog. Therefore the owner is required to take appropriate steps to prevent him from acting in a harmful manner. Who knows who will ride past him next? (I have a blind friend who rides a tandem, so there is probably a little old blind lady out there riding somewhere...) And does it really matter? There will be a next rider/walker/child/cripple/human-doing-what-humans-do. The questions are who will it be, and what will the owner be doing at the time?
Old 03-19-06, 07:05 AM
Dead Extra #2
Mostly Harmless

Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thewalrus
My guess is he's trolling, and trying to get somebody to invoke godwin's law as quickly as possible.
That's the first time I've heard of Godwin's law, I like it.
Old 03-19-06, 07:51 AM
Peekay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=lotek]I own a German Sheppard, she is the sweetest thing in 4 legs

I'm always puzzled by people who own the breed but don't know how to spell it correctly. It's shepHERD. If you remember that GSD's are classified by AKC as a herding breed it makes it easier to remember. The urge to chase cars, bikes, fast moving children, etc. can be traced back to the basic prey drive instinct. My neighbor's Sheltie (another herding breed) is way more interested in chasing bikes than either of my 2 GSD's. Go figure.

*stepping off my soapbox*

https://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41cfb...oSWHEBiFCgiq1z
Old 03-19-06, 09:39 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Martin
well EXCUSE me

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 03-19-06, 01:35 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by classic1
It vas not my fault. I vas only following orders.

Besides, all zis talk ov finding me is ridiculous. I laugh at you. No vay vill you find me in Paraguay.
Haha
Old 03-20-06, 04:07 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
So where are we at with this? Have we caught the guy yet? He needs to be caught, strapped to a chair and interrogated by Dr. Phil.
Old 03-20-06, 04:48 PM
jbonus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. Keep us posted.
Old 03-20-06, 04:55 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Could it be to try to get you guys to gain a little perspective? I mean, if the fact that Adolf was a German Sheperd hasn't triggered wild eyed fantasy thinking what has? In the end there was some road rash and a damaged wheel. That's unfortunate as hell but for some reason you guys are going wild over the idea that someone should be brought to court over this.

Do you even have the faintest idea what would be involved in chasing this guy down or do you normally spout off about things like this? If the guy wasn't local it would be almost impossible to find him and IF he was local the Sheriff would probably keep him out of trouble since whacked out bicyclists riding $4000 bicycles aren't well thought of in most parts of the country.

I advise him to be more alert and to write this off to bad luck. If he just looked at a dog and ridden off of the road he might have done even more damage to himself and the bike.

Maybe you missed my posting a story in which a truck driver screamed that he was going to kill some bicyclists simply for being in front of him at a stop light in San Francisco and a SF Cop was sitting right there and did absolutely nothing? What do you believe would happen in this case?

My guess is that you guys have never spent 5 years bringing a case to court only to have it settled the day before court opens for a pitance. I have and let me tell you that it's MUCH better to forget it than to end up being punished more by the legal system than you can ever hope to get out of it.

And then IF the judge turns out to be a dog lover he might just as well find the defendent not guilty and then you have to pay HIS legal expenses. Do you think that justice is free or something?

My lawyer earns $350/hr. How many hours do you suppose it would take to pay for a Kyserium rim? And you could bet that the defendent's attorney would have billed hundreds of hours for you to repay.
Old 03-20-06, 05:36 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
We Will Not Let It Rest! The Dog Owner Must Pay!
Old 03-20-06, 05:41 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I advise him to be more alert and to write this off to bad luck.
Frankly, your jaded advice sucks. It's that simple.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 03-20-06, 05:44 PM
van sharp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry me some pepper spray for such occasions.It's better the dog than me.After all he started it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.