Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling and Character

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and Character

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-18, 10:33 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Cycling and Character

I have met a lot of serious cyclists, and have in general been very impressed by the character of them as a whole. Yes, you have DB’s, really insecure people (usually one and the same) cheapskates, braggarts, blowhards, wheel-suckers, people who yell at you in pacelines, snot-blowers, and other annoying types, eccentricity is practically a staple in the cycling world.

But I can’t remember ever having met a genuinely bad person who was a serious rider. I’m talking career criminals, everyone knows the type. Smooth talker, brazen thief, been in and out of jail since their teens, make their living ripping people off so that they don’t have to work. These kind of people never spend the time and effort needed to become a proficient cyclist or racer. The guy who steals bikes is never much of a serious rider, or that's been my observation anyway.

So if you run into someone who rides a lot, it’s almost guaranteed they will be a decent person, a chill bro, and won’t try to rip you off, not too badly anyway. This sport has a rather cleansing effect on people’s character, I like to think.

Has anyone here ever known a serious criminal / really bad person, who was also an avid cyclist?
Old 07-07-18, 10:58 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I don't know, did Bernie madoff ride a bike?
Old 07-07-18, 11:13 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How would you know they are 'serious' or 'avid'? A criminal is likely not to tell you the truth. Lots of criminals ride bikes, whether or not they tell you they are a serious rider or you find out for yourself, but I usually don't approach someone on a bike and ask if they are a serious cyclist I tend to mind my own business lol. If you are just talking about folks who are so into a particular sport that they can compete at a high level, then I'd say generally the same logic can be applied to most sports of this type. I don't think you'll find a pro marathoner, triathlete, swimmer, etc who is a career criminal or something like that lol, criminals are usually more about trying not to work hard.
Old 07-07-18, 11:20 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
So I guess the most relevant question is: how many people do you know that meet your description (below) that AREN'T cyclists?

I don't personally know too many career criminals, brazen thieves, jail birds, people who steal so much that they don't have a real job... regardless of whether they are cyclists or not.

Or, as someone else pointed out: maybe I do! But if so, most of them do a pretty good job of hiding it.

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
But I can’t remember ever having met a genuinely bad person who was a serious rider. I’m talking career criminals, everyone knows the type. Smooth talker, brazen thief, been in and out of jail since their teens, make their living ripping people off so that they don’t have to work.
Old 07-07-18, 11:27 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Snot-rocketing? Is that frowned upon?

In general almost everyone is a good person with some quirks (unless you interpet threat levels from the news). Are avid cyclists a slightly higher percentage? Probably no more then avid anyone's, The same for avid RC plane flyers, people with different education, income, family history, and any other number of social/economical factors. That being said, I don't trust or not trust anyone differently at face value regardless of any of the above. I will leave my phone or laptop out on an Amtrak train or a plane and walk away but I'd never do that on the subway or a mall food court.

Last edited by u235; 07-07-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-07-18, 11:30 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've rarely if ever met a true criminal. Maybe what's happening is that the shared interest in cycling has exposed you to a wider variety of people, and you're finding that most people are generally decent.
Old 07-07-18, 11:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
On the Nice, side..

Then Again,

One character, I read, rode to watch a World cup match

from his home in India, to Russia, where the games are.
Old 07-07-18, 11:40 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Don't they say that "Hard Work builds Character"?

I think cyclists are a mixed lot. Some good, some not so much. Some a bit arrogant.

Watch the side of the road and trails for discarded bike tubes. Hard to say where those discarded CO2 cartridges are coming from. perhaps some are cyclists.
Old 07-07-18, 12:06 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Setting aside Charles Manson's three Giro wins . . . how often do you hear about someone doing a double century, then breaking into random cars in the parking lot? Not too often.

Seriously though, is anyone gonna tell me that a group of serious motorcyclists, will have no greater incidence of criminals in it than a group of ultra-marathon cyclists? I don't buy that for a second.

Last edited by Colnago Mixte; 07-07-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-07-18, 01:09 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
"serious cyclist" is what i have a problem with. i consider tourists and commuters to be serious cyclists. i once fixed a bike for a guy who had just gotten out of prison. a few months later he murdered a prostitute. maybe he wasnt serious....
Old 07-07-18, 01:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Setting aside Charles Manson's three Giro wins . . . how often do you hear about someone doing a double century, then breaking into random cars in the parking lot? Not too often.

Seriously though, is anyone gonna tell me that a group of serious motorcyclists, will have no greater incidence of criminals in it than a group of ultra-marathon cyclists? I don't buy that for a second.

There is a lot of suspicion towards those cyclists living under bridges with a large stash of bicycles and bike parts.

As far as motorcyclists... i don't know. There is a group of fat fifty year old motorcyclists... look tough on the road on the weekends, but holding down high paying day jobs during the week.
Old 07-07-18, 01:39 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Not buyin’ It.

Old 07-07-18, 01:41 PM
Beasty_Artemis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know lots of guys who buy inexpensive bikes from Wal-Mart that are as hard core as any "expert" who just has too much money too blow. Is anyone who isn't a pretentious elitist just another criminal ? Harsh....
Old 07-07-18, 02:18 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Assuming you are a cyclist (you are on BF!), you are implying you are of good character.

But isn't it a sign of a good character to not describe oneselves as "good", but let others judge?
Old 07-07-18, 02:24 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,003 Times in 1,783 Posts
How am I the first to say this.....ummmm....Lance Armstrong.
Old 07-07-18, 02:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,497 Times in 4,193 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
How am I the first to say this.....ummmm....Lance Armstrong.
exactly. Let's now list off the dozens(hundreds) of pro cyclists who have systemically cheated race after race and year after year.
straight up lying to sponsors, competitors, fans, governing bodies, and the government.
effectively stealing from others by taking their potential for endorsements and money from placing well.

year after year after year.
Old 07-07-18, 03:58 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I ran a yellow light the other day..........................
Old 07-07-18, 04:06 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by janmm
i ran a yellow light the other day..........................
monster!

Old 07-07-18, 04:14 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
exactly. Let's now list off the dozens(hundreds) of pro cyclists who have systemically cheated race after race and year after year.
straight up lying to sponsors, competitors, fans, governing bodies, and the government.
effectively stealing from others by taking their potential for endorsements and money from placing well.

depends how you look at it. In those years, maybe even now, if everyone of them in the TdF where clean results would have probably been the same. Lance did work his tail off too. He didn't just dope and win it.

Old 07-07-18, 04:29 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
monster!
hey,,, green means go,,, yellow means go faster....
Old 07-07-18, 04:31 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Op, I know a lot of "serious/avid cyclists" and none of them is a criminal (that I know at least). But 2 or 3 of them could be what's commonly called a bad person.
Old 07-07-18, 05:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hard to say where those discarded CO2 cartridges are coming from.
Those discarded CO2 cartridges are coming from serious cyclists.
Old 07-07-18, 05:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Has anyone here ever known a serious criminal / really bad person, who was also an avid cyclist?
Lance Armstrong. There. I said it.
Old 07-07-18, 05:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

You left out targeting detractors and trying to ruin their lives. Oh. Wait. Only Lance did that. Never mind.
Old 07-07-18, 06:14 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I knew one that turned out to be a thief.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.