Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Why a Trike

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Why a Trike

Old 08-15-15, 07:15 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbyl1966
what trike do you have. What trikes is good. Trikes is much faster than road bikes?
I have a Stratus LWB bent and a TT Cruiser. The trike is not faster, in fact I find that I am at least 2 mph slower on the trike. However in high winds I take the trike. It is faster into the wind, and I dont get blown all over the road on the trike.
Old 08-15-15, 07:34 AM
bobbyl1966

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you for the answer. I see one video on youtube and trike bike pass road bikes maybe is fake video i not know. I have road bike but recumbent bike make me interesting but i not know anythink about trikes. And i not know if trike is go be okay for hilly trail i go have elevation from 700 feet to 900 feet. On my road bike i have crank 53/39 and 9 speeds cassete 12-25. In hills is very hard i need bigger cassete but i cant deside or not know wich cassete is can be good for hills
Old 08-17-15, 08:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by bobbyl1966
thank you for the answer. I see one video on youtube and trike bike pass road bikes maybe is fake video i not know. I have road bike but recumbent bike make me interesting but i not know anythink about trikes. And i not know if trike is go be okay for hilly trail i go have elevation from 700 feet to 900 feet. On my road bike i have crank 53/39 and 9 speeds cassete 12-25. In hills is very hard i need bigger cassete but i cant deside or not know wich cassete is can be good for hills
On my TT Cruiser, I did the 26" rear wheel up grade to get the RD and chain further up out of the dirt. Since it came with a 20" rear, changing to the 26" raised the gear inches. Therefore I put on an 11-34 cassette, and dropped the front chain rings to 40 and 50.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-02-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-17-15, 09:08 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullman
The more I read threads like this the more I think that a trike is for me.
I have ridden with this guy..He is the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_QKzeJOS6E
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
steve jackson.jpg (106.2 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 08-17-15 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-17-15, 10:02 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to take issue with one of the points raised in the jetrike.com article:

Trikes, particularly delta trikes offer superior carrying capacity. I think the above image, posted by Henk van Eerden say it all. Imagine trying to carry two dozen glass bottles of beer on a bike.

Challenge accepted

This next one isn't my Bullitt.

Last edited by Cyclosaurus; 08-17-15 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-17-15, 10:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
as I added to my 1st post, the Aerodynamic body around a tadpole velomobile the smooth airflow will allow the rider

to go faster for the same effort, as you would riding a similar trike with the worse aerodynamics of just being lower and sitting back

Airflow Turbulence and all that , But there is some weight added and you have to come up with the 6 thousand plus $$, purchase price

and the truck freight to get it to your door wont be cheap either..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-17-15 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-17-15, 12:39 PM
delcrossv

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, after blowing my rotator cuff in a fall, I picked up a Trice XL. I have to admit it's fun in a getting groceries/tooling around in the park kinda way. I don't see it as either a speed nor a distance machine, at least for me. But for the above kind of cruising it's great. Just another kind of ride- I don't see myself as the avid triker type though.
Old 08-18-15, 07:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

But------------------I dont think you will find the owners of those trikes doing too many century rides on them.
Old 09-18-15, 07:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

As I have mentioned before, a trike is a great destination "bike". Once you get to a race, or what ever, you have your own seat, and dont have to stand or set on the ground.
Old 11-03-15, 02:15 AM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I do it all the time, albeit on a 2-wheeled EZ-1. I don't understand the reference. You simply stay to the right as much as you can, and the cars and trucks will get around you as best they can. The law says I have as much right to the road as they do. I don't think a trike is any wider than when I am pulling my Burley trailer, and it's never been a problem. If it is, it's their problem...not mine.

I've been thinking about getting a trike. I test-rode one a few weeks ago, and they are a lot of fun. Almost like riding a peddleboat on land.

Originally Posted by Trikin'
BlazingPedals..........Another advantage to having 3wheels Thankyou

Steamer....try riding a trike on a highway with cars and trucks racing by at 120K, see how easy that is
Old 11-03-15, 02:18 AM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Why does everything have to be a stereotype? I ride bents because I like them...not because I have to. You don't think anyone would ride a trike just because they are fun....and incredibly cool?

Originally Posted by mriley
Get real. Most of the people actually riding trikes are older guys (like me) with some health problem (broken hip, stroke, Parkinsons, etc) that prevent them from riding a DF bike, even if they wanted to. Much of the time there is no choice between a DF bike and a trike, just the choice between riding and not riding. I'd love to go back to my road bike, but it's not going to happen.
M Riley
Old 11-13-15, 11:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
Why does everything have to be a stereotype? I ride bents because I like them...not because I have to. You don't think anyone would ride a trike just because they are fun....and incredibly cool?
Couldnt agree more. Trikes are simply fun, and easy to ride on bike trails in the city with lots of stop lights. Your just stop clipped in and just start pedaling when the light turns green. No sratching, clanking, and wobbling when you start off.

Also at 77 I have no physical problems that drove me to recumbents, or a trike.
Old 11-30-15, 02:37 AM
lidzau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously considering a trike. Does anyone have any experience with taking trikes on aircraft. Living in Australia being able to take your bike with you on a plane is a must. Cheers Ian
Old 11-30-15, 11:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by lidzau
Seriously considering a trike. Does anyone have any experience with taking trikes on aircraft. Living in Australia being able to take your bike with you on a plane is a must. Cheers Ian
In that case I would look at folding trikes. Several brands make a folding trike. They of course are more expensive tho.
Old 11-30-15, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by lidzau

There was a Roll Across America event a few years ago, where half the participants got their Velomobiles shipped from Europe ,
with a DHL sponsorship .
Old 12-04-15, 11:56 PM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Cruzbike is developing a tilting trike attachment for the Vendetta and the Silvio models that replaces the single rear wheel. This gives the stability when stopped with the ability to lean around curves, and be higher up for better visibility.
Old 12-15-15, 09:04 PM
hmiwb48

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why a trike? In my case age and health have taken their toll on my legs, endurance and more recently my sense of balance. I have ridden on two wheels regularly all of my life, both bicycles and motorcycles, but lately I've become a bit wobbly and have even scared myself a few times. I've decided to try a trike and am currently in the process of putting one together. I have acquired a Schwinn tricycle and a front hub motor kit and am putting the two together. Hopefully this combination will provide me the means of going to the store for groceries and through the park on nice days for the simple enjoyment of getting out and about in spite of my limitations. I'll let you know how this works out...
Old 12-16-15, 10:28 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by polyrhythmia
Cruzbike is developing a tilting trike attachment for the Vendetta and the Silvio models that replaces the single rear wheel. This gives the stability when stopped with the ability to lean around curves, and be higher up for better visibility.
I think that was just a proof-of-concept. Leaning trikes have been cleaning up at the HPV races of late, and this gives the Parkers something with which to compete in that field. The only advantage is that it's a 3-wheeler, so it competes in the trike class. AFAIK there isn't a plan to market it. And it gives NO extra stability when stopped; it flops over just like a regular 2-wheeler.
Old 12-17-15, 07:44 AM
yakmurph

Bikes: [redacted]

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I think that was just a proof-of-concept. Leaning trikes have been cleaning up at the HPV races of late, and this gives the Parkers something with which to compete in that field. The only advantage is that it's a 3-wheeler, so it competes in the trike class. AFAIK there isn't a plan to market it. And it gives NO extra stability when stopped; it flops over just like a regular 2-wheeler.
That's just what he thinks.
Old 12-17-15, 11:18 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
My bolding.

It has a tilt lock? How is it actuated / engaged?
Old 12-19-15, 02:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

You wont fall over .
Old 12-19-15, 02:48 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
One of the local riders (rides both recumbents and uprights) went to a ride the other day, got there, and discovered he had left his front wheel at home. But, one of the other riders had both his trike and bike there. So the first rider borrowed the trike. And he thought it was so much fun, he's ordered one for himself now. And so it goes.
Old 12-21-15, 09:36 AM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I don't know any of the details. Definitely, the tilt should be determined by the radial acceleration, and not just by the radius of curvature. Me, I am just going to stick with a 2-wheel QX100 Cruzbike.
Old 12-21-15, 08:58 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
I don't know any of the details. Definitely, the tilt should be determined by the radial acceleration, and not just by the radius of curvature. Me, I am just going to stick with a 2-wheel QX100 Cruzbike.
When V=0, Ra=0. And it flops over. (without the riders foot and leg to make it a proper trike)
Old 12-21-15, 11:50 PM
K2AZ

Bikes: K2 Attack 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been working on another build and ran into some plans for recumbent trikes. Would like any input. Building is the easy part,but was wondering about the health return ? I'm going to be 65 and would like to get back down to 175 to 180. Have been as high as 205 and its just to high.I'm riding a K2 Attack 2.0 and its a fine bike.

I will admit,I am getting laser and laser with the passing of time . And was thinking maybe something new would get me going ?

I have been biking for ever. Just for fun and it was my way to get away from things.

So what experiences have others had with the switch ?

Thanks, Randy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.