Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old man needs insight for first ride after 40 yrs

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old man needs insight for first ride after 40 yrs

Old 12-15-17, 09:26 AM
JohnnyB65

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Let's see. Bicycle... Helmet... Cycling Jersey... Cycling Shorts... Cycling Shoes... Cycling Leggings... Cycling Jacket... ???

Aw Heck, just get on your bike and ride.

If balance is a problem, also consider trikes and recumbent trikes.
Talking about Trikes, I did consider that and I may do that if this doesn’t work out.

I have a little story about trikes from long ago when I was going to school. I gave a classmate a ride home one day and showed me his dads amazing shop. His dad showed up ridding a Trike with a trailer on back about the same time. My friend was embarrassed by his dad, but I was amazed and thought he was really cool. I even thought that I wanted to be like him when I got older and retired.
Old 12-15-17, 09:35 AM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh I forget to mention that I ordered a DAWAY C99 Padded Wide Saddle last night and it should be here tomorrow. I can’t wait.

Last edited by JohnnyB65; 12-15-17 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-15-17, 10:20 AM
UtahRider

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Camber FSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope everything works out well for ya JohnnyB65.
Old 12-15-17, 12:19 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Can you post a picture of your bike (and your daughter's too) next to you so we can see if it reasonably fits you. It sounds like your having fun with this challenge.
Old 12-15-17, 01:07 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just talked to my daughter about the bikes and she said they were cheap big box store bikes. I was surprised to hear that because her exe was always portraying a big shot driving Cadillac Escalades and Mercedes. I figured he would have bought an expensive bike to match his image and maybe that’s why he wasn’t concerned about leaving the bike when they split up.
Old 12-15-17, 01:50 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyB65

I’m just going to keep at it every day and I’m confident I’ll be able to overcome this. It’s just so amazing because when I came out of the coma, I could not walk or even feed myself and here I am riding a bike. Wow!
Sounds like you've come a long way and overcome a lot of obstacles. This is just one more challenge but one that is actually FUN! Keep at it and good luck!
Old 12-15-17, 02:04 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Sounds like you've come a long way and overcome a lot of obstacles. This is just one more challenge but one that is actually FUN! Keep at it and good luck!
Thanks, one of the first things I’m going to do when I can ride in traffic is to ride my bike over to my old rehab center and surprise my physical therapists. They all were so helpful with my recovery.
Old 12-15-17, 03:05 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Just do it!

The more you worry about how much stuff that you need the more you'll raise your anxiety level and the less likely you will actually do it. Find a place that you feel is safe and give it a try.

Oh - and let us know how it goes whether it's good or bad.
Old 12-15-17, 09:15 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
High Desert? Lancaster or thereabouts? Once you get comfortable, drive the bike over to Santa Clarita. They have some dedicated bike paths (off the street) that are fun to ride and just swing around town.

Congrats on the recovery!
Old 12-15-17, 09:59 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
High Desert? Lancaster or thereabouts? Once you get comfortable, drive the bike over to Santa Clarita. They have some dedicated bike paths (off the street) that are fun to ride and just swing around town.

Congrats on the recovery!
Yes thanks, I know the area well because my daughter lived there.

When I first started this, my dream was to go to Santa Monica and ride the Marvin Braude Beach Trail to Venice beach. I planed on going at least once a week during the summer months and I hope I can eventually accomplish that dream. I lived on Venice beach when I got back from Vietnam and used to watch everybody riding bikes through there. Those were great times.
Old 12-16-17, 03:56 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I received my new seat and it makes a big difference, but I fell on my side before I could even get moving. So, I’ve been practicing stopping and starting most of the morning until I got tired. Had one scary moment when a speeding car came into the neighborhood and I was far enough away that I was able to stop in time for him to fly by me.

I know now that it’s going to be awhile before I can leave the neighborhood. The other thing I learned is that I need different shoes that are tight fitting and probably some elbow & knee pads. I’m glad nobody was outside to see me fall over although everybody has security cameras, so I’m sure they will find out.

I can’t believe that I’m so clumsy because I spent most of my life on ladders, climbing towers, and walking around steep roofs. I was disappointed when I was forced to retire and I see now that there is no way I could do my job and I wouldn’t be able to sit in an office all day. I still think I can overcome these disabilities, but it’s just going to have to take time with lots of practice.
Old 12-16-17, 06:54 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
If you need to re-learn the reflexes to keep the bike balanced, then slam the seat down and remove the pedals, then walk the bike around. That's the way the bike's predecessor, the Draisienne, was propelled, and it's still the best way to learn. When you get to the point that you're only touching the ground to propel yourself, then gliding, you'll be ready for the pedals to go back on.

It's not surprising that a 'Cadillac' guy would have a big-box-store bike. The general attitude among non-cyclists is that no bike should cost more than $150.
Old 12-16-17, 07:20 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If you need to re-learn the reflexes to keep the bike balanced, then slam the seat down and remove the pedals, then walk the bike around. That's the way the bike's predecessor, the Draisienne, was propelled, and it's still the best way to learn. When you get to the point that you're only touching the ground to propel yourself, then gliding, you'll be ready for the pedals to go back on.

It's not surprising that a 'Cadillac' guy would have a big-box-store bike. The general attitude among non-cyclists is that no bike should cost more than $150.
I guess i still have a lot to learn because I just can't see the difference in bikes yet. I can understand about moving parts like sifters and wheels, but except for weight i can't see much difference in the frame.
Old 12-16-17, 07:41 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Way to go ..seems like doing better. A good bike and good seat go a long way on making it pleasurable. A good used bike with low miles can be picked up for a fraction of new. Just have brakes, and tires, wheels.and see if needs new grease. Local bike shop can do .. No such thing as old bikes or old men.. Just better experience and collectors bikes
..lol
Old 12-17-17, 02:32 PM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well another day of practice and I’m improving!
I rode all over the neighborhood 4 times without any balance problems. However, I need to do something about my steering. I’m not sure yet what to do, but it’s really jerky and I wonder if I need to adjust the handle bars higher up or maybe buy a different one. I feel like they are too far away, but it might be my bad shoulder.
Old 12-17-17, 03:37 PM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nooner
No such thing as old men, just old bikes.
And old shoes. I still wear 33 year old wingtips to work. My first quality work shoes. Re-soled 4 times.

To the OP, good luck. I'm sure it's been a difficult recovery but the riding will be hugely rewarding when you get the confidence back.
Old 12-20-17, 07:11 AM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Its day 7 of my new bike experience and I’m getting bored riding back and forth over and over again on the same streets. After falling on my ass the very first ride since 1978, I have been practicing everyday just within the safety of my neighborhood. Plus I’m sure the neighborhood is probably wondering if I’m up to no good riding past their houses so many times. I’m surprised that nobody has called the police yet.

Anyway, I’m a little anxious of breaking free of the neighborhood and going out into traffic. There are bike lanes, but I have a long stretch of dangerous road and a major intersection to cross before I get to the bike lanes. I would like to start now at 5 AM before the commuters start flying though, but I don’t have a light and I read that I need to have reflectors on the pedals in CA which I also don’t have. So I’ll have to wait to around 9AM when the traffic isn’t so bad.

I guess I probably should have a lock in case I want to stop some place although there’s no great loss if they do steal it. I just need a cheap lock so that I’m not just handing them the keys so to speak. If they need my cheap bike so bad that they will steal it then they can have it. Maybe it will change their life while it’s just an inconvenience for me.
Old 12-20-17, 08:13 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I did lose hearing in one ear from all the antibiotics and that may have something to do with with my balance issues...
...It’s just so amazing because when I came out of the coma, I could not walk or even feed myself and here I am riding a bike. Wow!
...I can’t believe that I’m so clumsy because I spent most of my life on ladders, climbing towers, and walking around steep roofs.
...one of the first things I’m going to do when I can ride in traffic is to ride my bike over to my old rehab center and surprise my physical therapists.
First, congratulations on your drive, determination and recovery so far!

Second, do you KNOW the hearing loss is from antibiotics? It is not terribly uncommon to develop a benign tumor on the auditory nerve. They are usually not immediately life threatening, but if they grow they can affect balance and then cognitive skills as they put pressure on different nerves. I know younger people younger than me this has happened to.

Third, I understand the disbelief at one's seeming clumsiness. In my 40s I joined a softball league for a few years. While I had made periodic visits to the batting cages, I realized I hadn't thrown or caught a ball in 13 years. After a half-hour of playing catch it all came back to me until the game. Standing out in right field a pop fly came my way. My brain said to my body, "run over there and carch the ball!" My body said, "Huh? What? You talkin' to me?" It took a few weeks to regain my coordination, and that was with daily bike riding. I also thought I could ski, since I biked, but that also doesn't follow apparently. So don't feel bad about your lack of coordination, especially, considering you couldn't walk or feed yourself after your coma.

Finally, your desire to ride to the rehab center got me all teary-eyed. I would like to hear about it when it happens.

Be smart, be safe, but "Go Johnny, go, Go, GO!"
Old 12-20-17, 09:25 AM
JohnnyB65

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks @BobbyG

I do know that the loss of hearing is from a year and a half of many different antibiotics. I’m not sure which one did it, but I do remember when it started in the rehab center. They did some scans of my brain to rule out tumors and I don’t remember the machine name just that there was a banging sound inside the machine that drove me crazy after the first 20 minutes. When I came out of that thing, I was willing to confess to anything just so I didn’t have to go back in again. LOL

The thing about the rehab was that I think they moved me in to quickly after I came out of the coma. Not only could I not move my hands or feet, but I couldn’t figure out what was happening to me. My eyesight was distorted and I saw everything through a fish bowl. My rectangle bed looked oval shaped and I couldn’t figure out how to tell time. I was trying use calculus to figure out the time and even asked the nurse if I had brain damage. The whole ordeal was so traumatic that I think I was suffering from PTSD.

It wasn’t until the second round in the hospital this past summer that I realized that the infection was finally gone and I was going to be alright. So now that I have actually rode a bike after everyone said I wouldn’t ever be able to work again is overwhelming. There was some permanent damage to my hearing and also organs, but I’m feeling pretty good right now
Old 12-20-17, 10:12 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Thanks @BobbyG

I do know that the loss of hearing is from a year and a half of many different antibiotics. I’m not sure which one did it, but I do remember when it started in the rehab center. They did some scans of my brain to rule out tumors and I don’t remember the machine name just that there was a banging sound inside the machine that drove me crazy after the first 20 minutes. When I came out of that thing, I was willing to confess to anything just so I didn’t have to go back in again. LOL

The thing about the rehab was that I think they moved me in to quickly after I came out of the coma. Not only could I not move my hands or feet, but I couldn’t figure out what was happening to me. My eyesight was distorted and I saw everything through a fish bowl. My rectangle bed looked oval shaped and I couldn’t figure out how to tell time. I was trying use calculus to figure out the time and even asked the nurse if I had brain damage. The whole ordeal was so traumatic that I think I was suffering from PTSD.

It wasn’t until the second round in the hospital this past summer that I realized that the infection was finally gone and I was going to be alright. So now that I have actually rode a bike after everyone said I wouldn’t ever be able to work again is overwhelming. There was some permanent damage to my hearing and also organs, but I’m feeling pretty good right now
The human body and mind can be amazingly resilient!
Old 12-20-17, 10:38 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 471 Posts
I'm going to suggest a few things before you get heavy into riding: 1.) You mentioned a balance problem. Begin the practice of Tai Chi, including warm-up exercises. 2.) Call a health cub and ask for an appointment with a personal trainer: He/she can put you through reflex, balance and quick-thinking tests. 3.) At first, ride with someone knowledgeable and who rides at your same pace. Call a local cycling club for this.
Sixty-eight is not that old. You should have many years of cycling enjoyment if you just ride carefully.
Also, prop your bike up good against a wall or some other immoveable object and make sure you can hold onto a wall or something too, for stability. Put your heel up on the saddle with a straight leg and see if you can give a stretch to the back of the leg and buttock. Remove the heel slowly and carefully and place it on the floor. Repeat on the other side. This will soon enable you to swing your leg over the saddle like you were the Lone Ranger.
Old 12-20-17, 10:52 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Well another day of practice and I’m improving!
I rode all over the neighborhood 4 times without any balance problems. However, I need to do something about my steering. I’m not sure yet what to do, but it’s really jerky and I wonder if I need to adjust the handle bars higher up or maybe buy a different one. I feel like they are too far away, but it might be my bad shoulder.

You might want to buy a 3-foot "resistance band" (just a length of rubber cord with soft handles at each end). Put it around a pole and take turns alternating, pulling slowly and evenly with first one arm, and then the other. Keep it as smooth and as slow as you can. This will build the co-ordination in the nerves and strength in the muscles of the arms.
Old 12-20-17, 11:05 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

When I came out of that thing, I was willing to confess to anything just so I didn’t have to go back in again. LOL
"All right, I confess! I did it, ya hear? And I'm glad, glad I tell ya!"

-Jim Carrey in Mask-

Last edited by 1989Pre; 12-20-17 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-20-17, 10:32 PM
WingSuit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try a little easy gym time, stretch and strength.. very easy slow progression. Also how’s about a mtb with a sloping top tube and a dropper post. Just slide the seat down to mount and dismount.