Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Our first overnight bike tour!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 03:57 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Bikes: Tour Easy/Mukluk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, I thought I'd share this here. My wife and I are heading off on a cross country bike tour May 11th. We took our first overnight bike camping trip this week. We've started a blog to share with our friends and family back home.

We did an rv trip last year across Canada, Mexico and the US. We shared that on Facebook and after we got home we realized how many of our friends aren't on Facebook. So we started the blog, Roaming with the Romers.

Last edited by Domromer; 04-29-18 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 04:12 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I find it odd that those with an RV would transfer to the bike for a tour; RVers are well-known for being dangerous towards us cyclists. Well, there's always a first. Hope you get rid of that gas-guzzling, oversized bohemith. They're an embarrassment to this planet.
Old 04-29-18, 04:40 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
I find it odd that those with an RV would transfer to the bike for a tour; RVers are well-known for being dangerous towards us cyclists. Well, there's always a first. Hope you get rid of that gas-guzzling, oversized bohemith. They're an embarrassment to this planet.
Probably not as we live in our rv full time. But your welcome to your opinion.
Old 04-29-18, 05:05 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I have been passed by dozens, maybe hundreds or RVs without problem. I imagine the same for other cyclists. Most people give me a wide berth. Not all RVers are dangerous toward cyclists. Some are. And those are usually the casual tourist with an RV they have never driven before.

And not everyone is fortunate as you to be able to pedal a bicycle cross country..
Old 04-29-18, 06:02 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
So no accolades for their decision to do a bike tour? Just derision at owning an RV huh? You want to live on a bike, your business. They want to live in a rolling house, their business. Embarrassment to the planet? Really? What planet do you speak? The world of Utopia that exists in Your Mind? The planet Speak-out-of-Uranus?
YOUR attitude, intolerance and judgement should be your embarrassment.

And it's "behemoth".
Old 04-29-18, 07:06 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts

You can't lump everyone into one group.
Enjoy guys and have fun!
Old 04-29-18, 09:33 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Have a great trip! What route are you taking?
Old 04-29-18, 09:42 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We

Originally Posted by Doug64
We are still deciding. We know we want to go from Clearwater to Flagler Beach, then from Flagler Beach up the 17 to Amelia Island and up through Savannah and Charleston. From there we'd head to Asheville After that we are still deciding .. We've never seen any of the Midwest so I thinking we may go up the Mississippi then turn left at the top and work our way up into Canada starting at waterton lakes National Park in Canada .. That's a super rough outline. I don't want to plan it to death. We are using maps.me and Google maps for our routing and I'll probably buy digital maps if we find ourselves on the adventure cycling association routes
Old 04-29-18, 09:54 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We

Originally Posted by Doug64
We are still deciding. We know we want to go from Clearwater to Flagler Beach, then from Flagler Beach up the 17 to Amelia Island and up through Savannah and Charleston. From there we'd head to Asheville After that we are still deciding .. We've never seen any of the Midwest so I thinking we may go up the Mississippi then turn left at the top and work our way up into Canada starting at waterton lakes National Park in Canada .. That's a super rough outline. I don't want to plan it to death. We are using maps.me and Google maps for our routing and I'll probably buy digital maps if we find ourselves on the adventure cycling association routes
Old 04-30-18, 07:00 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Yeah, and everyone knows that cyclists are dangerous daredevils who blow through stop signs and take joy in holding up rush hour traffic for their own greedy enjoyment of roads they don't pay for, wearing that spandex covered flabby gut that is an embarrassment that anyone is forced to look at

If were to criticize RVs, it is far more because campgrounds are being converted en masse to cater to them, leaving scant few tentable spots to those of us who prefer to go without one. But, I'm not, because they are simply folks enjoying their life in a different manner than I.
Old 04-30-18, 08:51 AM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I've actually found them to be just as dangerous to other cars as they are to cyclists. Those long parades of vehicles stuck behind them on windy secondary roads are a danger to all users of the road. As 'spinnaker' mentioned, the skill of RV drivers varies greatly and some no doubt lack the skill, experience & training to operate a large RV safely. I know people who live in resort areas resent them too. We used to see a bumper sticker up in Maine that read: "When you go on vacation, do you bring your house with you?"

Last edited by hfbill; 04-30-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-30-18, 08:56 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
On my last tour in Florida, the guy next to me in a behemoth kept asking me if I needed anything. It was a bit annoying, even though I knew he was just being friendly. Turns out I had everything I needed with me.
Old 04-30-18, 09:24 AM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
If were to criticize RVs, it is far more because campgrounds are being converted en masse to cater to them, leaving scant few tentable spots to those of us who prefer to go without one.....
+1. I've started to run into problems because more and more campgrounds seem to be transforming into RV "resorts" which do not permit tenting.
Old 04-30-18, 12:19 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by alan s
On my last tour in Florida, the guy next to me in a behemoth kept asking me if I needed anything. It was a bit annoying, even though I knew he was just being friendly. Turns out I had everything I needed with me.
Come on now. How could anyone traveling on a bicycle survive more that a day? No walk in freezer, no stove and oven and more important, no full screen TV with satellite connection. How do you do it? How you must suffer!

As seen on the Oregon coast and the view nearby. What are people thinking?

Old 04-30-18, 04:06 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
MOD NOTE to ALL.
Please respect the topic, and take "Off Topic" discussions elsewhere.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-30-18, 05:32 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We moved into into our tiny home on wheels 2 years ago. We were traveling so much it seemed there was no longer a point in having a fixed abode. We bought a Mercedes sprinter based rv. It's 23ft long and can fit in many normal parking spaces. Our power needs are met 100 percent by our solar panels and we use 26 gallons of water every three to four days for dishwashing and showers. Compared to a normal home I imagine our carbon footprint is quite small. In think the first reply may have had ax to grind so this may fall on deaf ears. Anyhoo, we love rv life and can't wait to start our next adventure on our bikes.
Old 04-30-18, 06:27 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Are you going to use the RV on your trip? Would be kind of nice having your home with you each night. Of course it would mean you would need to trade off driving. But the driver could always ride back toward the cyclist part of the way. Not as adventurous as an all out tour but a nice insurance policy.
Old 04-30-18, 06:39 PM
Domromer
The Idler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Are you going to use the RV on your trip? Would be kind of nice having your home with you each night. Of course it would mean you would need to trade off driving. But the driver could always ride back toward the cyclist part of the way. Not as adventurous as an all out tour but a nice insurance policy.
That would be nice and luxurious but no. We want to keep it simple. Last year's road trip we drove 26000 miles through Canada, the U.S. And Mexico...I'm done driving for a while!