Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A Plug For Rema Patches

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

A Plug For Rema Patches

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 07:19 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
A Plug For Rema Patches

I've done a lot of riding over the past fifty years, but I can almost count the number of flat tires I've experienced on two hands. Despite this, during my years running a bicycle recycling program, I must have patched hundreds of tubes using all kinds of patch kits, including some of the major-brand versions.

About a year ago, on the recommendation of many BF members, I purchased my first Rema kit and tossed it in my tool bag. Today, on my way to work, I got one of my very rare flats and, thus, had my first opportunity to use this kit. I have to say that everything people have said about Rema patch kits is accurate. This was the first patch I have ever used that instantly took to the tube with no bubbles, no edges pulling away from the tube, and no frustrating unstoppable leaks. Within five minutes, the glue was tacky enough to apply the patch and after another five, the patch felt like part of the tube.

Never before have I been this confident in a patch, and I know it's not because I've gotten any better at patching! Of course, I don't know how long the now-open tube of cement will last or how long it will take for the remaining patches to dry out and become useless, but I have to say that I am really impressed with the performance of this kit right out of the box. I have no stake in Rema and have nothing to gain by hollering about them, but I just want to put my recommendation out there for anyone who has never been comfortable with the usual patch kits that are sold in department stores and in lots of bike shops.
Old 09-07-18, 08:24 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
It is awesome that you had such a good experience. A properly-applied patch actually does become part of the tube thanks to the vulcanizing fluid, which differs from plain rubber cement.
Your tube of vulcanizing fluid will last longer if you squeeze out all of the air before replacing the cap.
Old 09-07-18, 08:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
It is awesome that you had such a good experience. A properly-applied patch actually does become part of the tube thanks to the vulcanizing fluid, which differs from plain rubber cement.
Your tube of vulcanizing fluid will last longer if you squeeze out all of the air before replacing the cap.
+1
Don't be afraid to "waste" a drop or 2.
Nice thing about the feathered edge is you can overlap patches easily. Unlike "bricks".
Old 09-08-18, 09:04 AM
Papa Tom

I should also put in a good word about my Topeak Mountain Morph frame pump, which performed very respectably during this little crisis. This was the Morph's first use ever and it did a good job pumping my Schwalbe Big Apple balloon tire up to just-shy-of 40psi with a moderate amount of effort.
Old 09-08-18, 04:37 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I got tired of buying patch kits every few months. With 6 bikes actively used in my house I seemed to go through them really quickly. So instead I bought a box of 100 Rema patches. I wouldn't use anything else and I've been using them for at least 40 years. Now I have to buy the fluid in bulk too. I tried glueless patches and they never work.

The funny thing is I went through about 10 of them almost instantly, but to be fair I also went through my pile of old tubes and patched the ones that I could and threw out the rest.

My Topeak Road Morph G is a great pump. I also have a Peakini II for my commuter, but that doesn't work nearly as well. I get 100psi on the Road Morph no problem, maybe 60 on the Peakini. The Peakini seams to bend the presta stems on my tubes, or maybe it's just me.
Old 09-08-18, 04:54 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by zacster
...Now I have to buy the fluid in bulk too....
Luckily, I don't patch anywhere near enough tubes to have to buy the vulcanizing fluid in bulk. How long does the stuff last? I am concerned about whether to buy a new tube of fluid or to just wait and expect the current (opened) one to be OK when I get my next flat five years from now.
Old 09-08-18, 05:57 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
In the small tubes, it has a tenancy to dry up over a year or so . (If the seal is broken), check by giving it a squeeze.

jbucky
www.buckyrides.com
Old 09-08-18, 06:21 PM
CO_Steve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was in Walmart the other day and in the auto section where all the tire stuff is they had Slime brand patch kits which contained what looked exactly like Rema patches. Price was quite a bit lower as well.
Copy or the real deal?
Old 09-09-18, 12:53 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Luckily, I don't patch anywhere near enough tubes to have to buy the vulcanizing fluid in bulk. How long does the stuff last? I am concerned about whether to buy a new tube of fluid or to just wait and expect the current (opened) one to be OK when I get my next flat five years from now.
It takes me about 3 to 5 years to go thru a can. Seal it tightly ( I snug the lid with pliers) and store it upside down.
Old 09-09-18, 12:57 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I think its a copy, the Rema's are worth paying for, the taper is great.

james

www.buckyrides.com
Old 09-09-18, 01:54 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I've had more than one opened tube last 2 years or so before it was empty. Can't say about 5 years, that may be pushing it. But, as mentioned, as long as you squeeze any excess air out of the tube and seal it tightly it will last a long time. Maybe check on the fluid every 6 months to make sure it's not starting to thicken up.
Old 09-09-18, 02:22 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Steve
I was in Walmart the other day and in the auto section where all the tire stuff is they had Slime brand patch kits which contained what looked exactly like Rema patches. Price was quite a bit lower as well.
Copy or the real deal?
Did you compare the chemistry of the glue?
Old 09-09-18, 02:24 PM
CO_Steve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Did you compare the chemistry of the glue?
No my mass spectrometer is out for calibration but I put some in a paper bag and it smelled ok to me.
Old 09-09-18, 02:48 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
No my mass spectrometer is out for calibration but I put some in a paper bag and it smelled ok to me.
There's no other way, right?
Old 09-09-18, 07:44 PM
Papa Tom

I never use this expression, but "LOL!"
Old 09-10-18, 05:43 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
So it passed the sniff test? Good one.
Old 09-10-18, 10:32 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,541 Posts
OP beware you have probably incurred the wrath of the flat tire demons by noting the rarity of you flats. carry extra kits

Old 09-10-18, 06:10 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by squirtdad
OP beware you have probably incurred the wrath of the flat tire demons by noting the rarity of you flats. carry extra kits
I'm already carrying two spare tubes (one that now has a Rema patch on it) and a patch kit (with a tube of glue that's probably one foot in the grave now), so bring it on, baby.
Old 09-10-18, 10:10 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
The can I have in my bike tool box says I opened it in july of 2012. Sill good, as of a couple weeks ago.
Old 09-11-18, 08:10 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Now that’s Entertaiment!
Old 09-17-18, 11:54 AM
Papa Tom

OK...STOP THE PRESSES! HOLD ON, everybody!

Original poster here, and I have to tell you that this weekend, I decided to use my Rema patch kit to patch a second tube that my wife had blown about a month ago. I followed the same procedure as the last time I REMA-patched and all seemed just great The patch adhered solidly and worked its way into the rubber, just as the earlier one had. I inflated it, checked it, and found no leaking at all..until this morning, when I found the tire completely flat.

I haven't investigated any further yet, but I have to say that I'm suddenly a little less gung ho about gushing all over this Rema patch kit now. More details later!
Old 09-17-18, 02:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
You don't know how the patch failed. It's not fair to say it might be the patch kit's fault.

I have patched hundreds of tubes. Sometimes, patches fail. They fail at a lower rate with good patches and vulcanizing fluid. I've never used any better than Rema.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-17-18, 03:39 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by noglider
You don't know how the patch failed. It's not fair to say it might be the patch kit's fault.
You're right. I'm going out to investigate right now. I just didn't want to be "that guy" who enticed someone to go out and buy something that turned out to be not-so-good after all.
Old 09-17-18, 03:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
You're right. I'm going out to investigate right now. I just didn't want to be "that guy" who enticed someone to go out and buy something that turned out to be not-so-good after all.
I've never seen a claim that another brand is better than Rema, only that some are just as good.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-17-18, 04:17 PM
Papa Tom

Hmmm...it seems that either I didn't make the glued surface large enough, or I was actually "off" by a little in my calculation of where to put the patch. It sucks that my eyes have gone really south this year. In any event, I just added a second patch, kind of piggy-backed, so I don't have a lot of confidence in it.

I will let it set and dip it in a bucket of water tomorrow. If there are no bubbles, I will consider Rema redeemed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.