Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

MTB Shoes with replaceable treads

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 01-03-19, 09:05 AM
jimmydean

Bikes: Scott Addict 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was hoping someone may have been through the same issue. I am tired of buying new shoes just because the tread is wearing and my cleats are now making contact with the ground. I have seen SIDI and Specialized shoes that have kits to replace the side treads. This seems like a good way to extend the life of otherwise still good shoes. With the cost of these shoes I would sure like to get more than 3 seasons out of them. I have a wide foot. I am currently riding on Eggbeater Candies.

Thanks for your input.
Jim
Old 01-04-19, 10:20 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
The cost to buy and the labor to replace treads would be almost the same as buying a new shoe. That's why it will never happen.
Old 01-07-19, 07:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Any cobbler worth their salt should be able to replace the worn out portion of the tread.
Old 01-07-19, 08:33 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Yeah, while more of a 2-bolt commuter shoe than an MTB shoe, my old Giro Republics had replaceable "walking pads" and they were only around $15. Shoes with replaceable tread blocks, while not common, aren't exactly rare either.
Old 01-07-19, 09:03 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I've used the SIDIs. Haven't found a model that offered both wide and replaceable soles. But the sole replacement as such worked fine.
Old 01-13-19, 02:32 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I'm on my second pair of Sidis with replaceable soles/treads and while the shoes fit like gloves, the soles/treads wear out quickly and they aren't cheap--$40-50! I've also had a shoe out of each pair have the nut that the screw holding the tread goes into come loose and spin in the shoe. I can't tighten the screw past a certain point and later, I can't get it out either. I think I'm done with Sidis after this. They're too high a price for this to happen.
Old 01-13-19, 04:46 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb
Fact check:

It's been happening for decades.

Also, the price is not the same as buying a new shoe.

Just one example:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...oxOjE2OnNpZGk=

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...ajor=5&minor=7
Aren't those SIDI shoes for Saturday night only?
Old 01-14-19, 10:48 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by bikeme
I'm on my second pair of Sidis with replaceable soles/treads and while the shoes fit like gloves, the soles/treads wear out quickly and they aren't cheap--$40-50! I've also had a shoe out of each pair have the nut that the screw holding the tread goes into come loose and spin in the shoe. I can't tighten the screw past a certain point and later, I can't get it out either. I think I'm done with Sidis after this. They're too high a price for this to happen.
Kinda what I was getting at earlier in this thread.

Rides $2000+ bike and won't spend money on new shoes. Makes perfect sense.
Old 01-14-19, 12:09 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Kinda what I was getting at earlier in this thread.

Rides $2000+ bike and won't spend money on new shoes. Makes perfect sense.
FYI, the shoes were $500 all-BOA ones. I ride and race on a lot of rocky trails with hike-a-bike sections that tend to be hard on shoes. The treads wore down only after 6 months. So I'm supposed to buy new shoes every 6 months? Is your pat answer, "Buy cheaper ones more often" or "That's what you get for not buy a more durable shoe"? I bought them because as an elite-level XC racer, they are super light and super stiff. I didn't want a clunky, flexy, heavy shoe. Additionally, my comment was about faulty work/design by Sidi, not asking your snarky opinion of what I choose to buy and how often. Mic drop!
Old 01-15-19, 09:42 AM
prj71

Yikes...I wouldn't spend $500 on shoes. That's just nuts.
Old 01-15-19, 10:27 AM
balut bandit
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yikes...I wouldn't spend $500 on shoes. That's just nuts.
It's "nuts" to you because you apparently can't understand that not everyone shares your financial circumstances and/or you can't understand that folks value things differently than you do.

That's what's really nuts.
Old 01-15-19, 01:05 PM
prj71

No. It's just nuts. They are shoes fercripesakes!!
Old 05-24-19, 04:49 PM
washuai

Bikes: 2010 Mezzo I-4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. It's just nuts. They are shoes fercripesakes!!
If you think that's bad, guess you've never heard of Tricker's bespoke shoes in England. $500 is cheap in comparison. I think there might literally be some truth to comfort of a shoe made specifically for your size and needs by a master cobbler. It sounds like the OP needs to contact a cobbler to design a worthy shoe or start switching out the $500 for a hiking shoe, in between.
I don't know what shoes the OP is wearing, but sneakers are one kind of shoe that doesn't really resole (though people goo, paste tread on, etc.) That's hacks, not a cobbler shoe repair.
Your shoes can make a huge difference health wise. A basic five ten starts at $100 and wouldn't even last 6 months? under the OPs 9-5 hard use, I'm not the least shocked there are $500 shoes.
In lots of sports, the shoes aren't cheap and if you really pro the sport, they claim to last like 3 months?
Since we're talking about hiking here.
according to the experts, hiking boots of solid construction will carry you for at least 600–700 miles, generally maxing out at 1,000. . . . light 400-500 miles.
Source The OP is hiking in shoes meant more for the bike, than hiking. On a boot, a cobbler could put on new tread, but not on a sneaker style shoe. Most bike shoes I've seen are more the trainer type construction than classic boot or shoe construction. That article also talks about maintaining the shoe to extend its life (don't soak it in the stream, clean the outside and the inside (just like you're cleaning your bike, right and it's sturdier stuff, than a shoe). 6 months sounds like it might actually be more than 600 miles OP is getting out of these shoes off the bike, or maybe not. Since a lot of manufacturers, especially light shoes expect you to have worn the shoe in some fashion within 3 months of like daily use, and we're talking 90-150 shoes, dead in months.
I've been able to literally wear a pair of Keen sandals for 5 years (I wasn't mountain biking in them and more blacktop and cement, in addition to sand and not the most punishing of trail material). Although they're Keens, so I totally soaked those things in the ocean, swam in the ocean in them and didn't swim, but got in them with my feet wet from chlorinated pool water, but it never had an effect. I can still wear them, but I feel the difference of their age and they just aren't comfortable for extended journeys on my feet, anymore. They're actually still grippy and suitable for the beach. Another pair only 2 years (I can still wear it, but the bottom has gotten dangerously slippy - I need new tread). My point is according to that article and the manufacturer, they shouldn't have lasted that long.

Last edited by washuai; 05-27-19 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-24-19, 05:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'm also late to this party. A good cobbler could add material using a rubber that wears a long time. $100 would be a fair price. I had a cobbler put thick rubber around the cleats on a pair of road shoes to both make them walkable and protect the cleats. I've walked many miles in those shoes and they've been trouble free. Nearly a decade since I had the work done.

Ben
Old 05-28-19, 04:14 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmydean
I was hoping someone may have been through the same issue. I am tired of buying new shoes just because the tread is wearing and my cleats are now making contact with the ground. I have seen SIDI and Specialized shoes that have kits to replace the side treads. This seems like a good way to extend the life of otherwise still good shoes. With the cost of these shoes I would sure like to get more than 3 seasons out of them. I have a wide foot. I am currently riding on Eggbeater Candies.

Thanks for your input.
Jim
Try this. Ride your bike instead of walking around in your shoes? In a 15 mile ride I don't walk very far, push up a few hills and in the parking lot a bit.
Old 06-10-19, 05:46 AM
GreatShake868

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did you try jogging? I know it may seem like a complete pain in the arse and trust me it is. But in the endgame, it's well and truly worth it. The main contribution to this conundrum is running expends energy, and we need to eat to stay energized — but how much we eat is the difference between weight gain, loss or maintenance and performance. Not only that but we also need shoes for heavyweight runners that fit us nicely. Just like me, you can check out https://perfectshoesforyou.com/best-...for-flat-feet/ to find your perfect pair. It can be pretty tricky to find the best running shoes for guys who are a tad bit on the obese side. Trust me, I would know. I really do ask that maybe you will consider running in the morning or jogging in the evening, I would ask anyone. I can say for myself that It worked well for me, I am healthy and happy.

Last edited by GreatShake868; 06-14-19 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-23-19, 09:00 AM
EBasil

Bikes: Manitou SS, Trek 69er SS, Fisher Cake DLX1, Breezer Beltway 8

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SIDI soles are great, but soft....

So, full disclosure: I stopped replacing my SRS soles on my Sidi's, because although they are simple to swap and provide great traction in the event I find myself off the bike, they wear out way too fast.

As I have gotten older and fatter, haha, I am off the bike more and I would just shred the soles too quickly to justify the price.