Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best setback seatposts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best setback seatposts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 10:53 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I can tell you, the VO claim of 30mm setback is a stretch. Take a look at the design. The cradle which supports the seat rails is a curved design, so while technically it may provide 30mm of range, when the saddle is positioned as far back as it can go, the angle is pointing the saddle nose up by about 30 degrees. It’s definitely not possible for anyone to ride with the nose sticking that far up. Not even close. Bringing the nose of the saddle down to anything even remotely rideable moves the entire saddle forward, shortening the setback.

I bought a B17 and realized immediately that I needed a lot more setback because of the short rails on the B17. I bought the VO thinking it would get me there. It’s a total fail. While I cannot claim to have specifically measured, IMO the VO barely offers more than my 20mm setback Zipp seatpost when the saddle is in a level position. As a result, both the B17 and the post are sitting on the shelf.

I’m gonna take a look and see what Nitto has to offer.

-Kedosto

Edited to add: You’re gonna want to stick with a clamp design which is adjustable from the bottom. I tried the B17 on a 25mm setback Specialized post that adjusts from the side, but the stiff leather skirt of the B17 blocked the clamp/adjustment Allen head, nixing that idea.

Last edited by Kedosto; 02-16-19 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 11:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan

Thanks for the idea! I do like the Thomson hardware. So carbon and custom are both options. And thanks to you and Timothy for the support. I believe defending my fit to people who do not know me, my riding, my body geometry, my bike, or it’s geometry is not an attractive proposition.
I don't know if Thompson sells the parts to the general public. (I could see them only selling to builders they know will do posts that will come back to haunt them.) TiCycles does far more than just bikes and have engineering skills in house.

Ben
Old 02-17-19, 01:29 AM
78rr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too many setbacks usually mean that the frame is too small to buy.
Old 02-17-19, 08:45 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't know if Thompson sells the parts to the general public. (I could see them only selling to builders they know will do posts that will come back to haunt them.) TiCycles does far more than just bikes and have engineering skills in house.

Ben
Thomson used to sell replacement parts.
Old 02-17-19, 08:48 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by 78rr
Too many setbacks usually mean that the frame is too small to buy.
I've owned this frame since about 1984. This is not about the frame. And, you can't fit a bike to yourself by a book.
Old 02-17-19, 10:39 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've used the FSA K-force SB25 on all of my bikes for over 10 years. They work great and you can also get a 32mm setback model. It has a 2-bolt rocker style clamp that permits very small changes to the saddle angle. I always shop around to find a source that's selling for far less than MSRP.

The normal setback for most posts is 20-25mm. Needing a 25-32mm setback has nothing to do with a frame being too small. Smaller frames are often made with steeper seat tube angles that may require more setback on the post. The saddle rails also play a part in the need for a post with more setback.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 02-20-19 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 11:37 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You will be happy with the S-83 or the S-84.
Both are quality and the 2 bolt adjustment is one of the best.
Old 02-17-19, 12:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Builders (like Ti cycles, near Portland) can custom make you a seatpost precisely to your needs.. best is of course going to cost more..
Old 07-13-19, 05:08 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I was looking at solutions for greater setback without changing the seatpost. I came across old threads about the M2racer Power Module which gives you an extra 4cm of setback, but the company closed a long time ago.

So then I came across the Rinsten Spring from Ukraine, but made in China. It's a simple U shaped rail made out of spring steel which is supposed to serve as a form of suspension. Looks like you can get up to maybe 8cm of setback, but you'll get a lot of bounciness if you're that far back. Supposedly reviewers say it feels pretty good, but some people worry about it being too bouncy, or about too much lateral deflection and torsion. This might also cause the clamp to slip backwards. I thought maybe if you stuck a piece of TPU or rubber block between the upper and lower rails, you'll get some dampening. If you also clamp the open ends with a second set of clamps, you might get less torsion.
Here is a video:

It goes for $60, but there are some similar products on ebay or Amazon from Chinese sellers for $20, although I don't know who came first. One difference appears to the the angle between the upper and lower rails. Rinsten claims 8 degrees. Superimposing the product images, I estimate the Chinese versions are probably 10-12 degrees, so you might have problems not being able to level the saddle if you run out of tilt adjustment on your clamp. The smaller angle of the Rinsten might have a better chance of leveling. Rinsten started as a Kickstarter campaign, and they claimed that the first batch was bad and had to be tossed. I guess from poor manufacturing tolerances, probably non-parallel rails or spacing. So I don't know if the version from Chinese sellers would have a similar problem. Rinsten claims that their next batches were closely watched and checked for quality control.

Rinsten also seems to have only partially shipped units to the campaign backers. The latest update says in order to ship to the remaining backers, they need to sell 3 units for every 1 backer. But I guess if you're buying one from their website, they're probably happy to ship it to you.

https://rinsten.com/

One reviewer on Amazon for the Chinese version says it snapped while riding.
Oh, I found a thread on Bikeforums where someone tested a prototype of the Rinsten, but it broke after 800 miles.
Although the kickstarter page says they're testing different materials and doing stress tests, so the production version might use a different material than the prototype.
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...le-spring.html

I was thinking about using this on my Brooks because I'm 2-3cm too far forward. But I have sprung B17 Flyer Imperial, which already has some tilting deflection from the springs, in addition to my thudbuster, so I would only use these additional U springs on an unsprung saddle.

But anyway, if I were to use this, I'd set the clamp as far forward as possible and then back it off to achieve the desired setback, as the main purpose for me is for the setback and not for the suspension.

Above: Rinsten

Below: Chinese variations on Amazon and eBay

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 07-13-19 at 05:33 PM.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 07-13-19, 07:39 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I made my own, an aggressive copy of the '80s style layback BMX seatpost.

Old 07-13-19, 10:20 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I bet the fatigue life on that Rinsten thing is measured in minutes for anybody heavier than Tinkerbell.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 07-13-19, 10:40 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I spaced out in my previous post. (Guilty - didn't read most of this thread.) I have one of those steel Nitto posts. Best production post I have ever owned or ridden by a lot. They are gems. Beautifully built, very well thought out and a joy to set up and use. Bought it earlier thi8s spring to have a post I trusted completely on a wild gravel ride that would also mean the clamp would be well away from the seat's ti rail bends. After that ride, I pushed the seat forward an inch to reset the bike to a fix gear. So I have been fooling with that post a lot. And what a joy!

$160 vs $55? If the $55 post works for you, you will probably never regret it. Spend the $160 and you have a post for a lifetime. Worth it? Can't answer that. Now, my Peter Mooney finally has a post as good as the bike.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-14-19, 06:35 AM
Road Fan

I’m glad you guys came back to this post with the wire solutions! I have tried an S 84 in a few situations and I like as much as Professor Mooney does. These wire spring devices suggest a solution to the stoker saddle for my ongoing tandem build, if coupled with a damper. If my favorite stoker isn’t happy, I’m not happy.

My need for setback: somehow I do not feel in balance on a bike unless my sit bones (widest portion of saddle) are about 27 cm back from a plumb line to the BB. I can only achieve this with Brooks products or my old Ideale 92 with a deep seat tube angle (71 degrees on my ‘50s Rudge) or a high-setback seat post. It’s better with the long rails on Selle AnAtomica or Specialized saddles, and not so good with the Rivet design, at least the one I bought.

I don’t think my frames are all too small though some are a little too French (high seat tube), but life has trade-offs. High seat tube angle today is 73 degrees in my size, and I know that requires a 30 or 35 mm seatpost setback. Many very desirable light vintage machines, like my Masi and Mondonico frames have angles greater than 75 degrees otherwise they fit well. And no, not all of those builders’ products were custom; such angles represent The Way They Thought Things Should Be. But it doesn’t usually work for me at least at my current level. If I finally become ready for stage racing maybe that will change (lol!).
Old 07-14-19, 06:49 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I need a setback seatpost 27.2 mm, 27 cm or so. I've seen two main choices lately: the V-O two-bolt Gran Cru with Long Setback for $55,
Don't buy the Velo Orange. The front saddle clamp 5mm bolt isn't big enough to have acceptable fatigue life with rider weight on the saddle and stress cycles from road vibrations.

I broke the first one in 3415 miles shrinking from 185 to 154 pounds and finished that ride standing.

I replaced it with a higher grade bolt which broke in 1690 miles dropping to 140 pounds over that distance and had my wife pick me up.

I was using a saddle with carbon rails although that was not prohibited.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-14-19 at 06:52 PM.