Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't mount my tire!!!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can't mount my tire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 12:01 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Yeah, it’s backward from most old-school advice, but you get a little more slack to get the last part of the bead on this way. Makers of tubeless-compatible rims often recommend finishing at the valve now.
OK, I get this, but with a TUBE, when you have to really reef on that last bit of bead... that valve is going to get in the way of your hands, and there's a good chance you're going to rip something.
Old 07-13-19, 02:27 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
OK, I get this, but with a TUBE, when you have to really reef on that last bit of bead... that valve is going to get in the way of your hands, and there's a good chance you're going to rip something.
Thumbs pushing on the bead in the middle and palms to the sides are no where near the valve, and with the extra slack you don't need to push that hard.
Old 07-14-19, 08:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I've never had a tire be difficult to get over the rim once you get to the end point. It's usually well to either side of the ending point that the bead of the tire stops and seems like it can't possibly go any further. Once you get past those first stopping points, everything gets easier.
Old 07-14-19, 11:06 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Believe it or not, I actually broke one of these things ! Fortunately, since I just bought it, my shop covered me and gave me a new one (I never knew if they got reimbursed themselves, or if they ate that loss.)
I don't think I've had to use it since. The tires I'm currently using on my 3 bikes are all surprisingly easy to re-mount.
Anyway, I can relate to the OP's woes. I've never been so close to walking out side and wrapping something around a telephone pole as I've been when trying to mount a difficult tire ( in fact, some Rubino racing tires way back in the day come to mind). That probably about the most pissed-off I've ever been.

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
The worst I've ever mounted are Panaracer Paselas on Mavic MA40 rims. I have two examples of this combination, and finally tried the Koolstop Tire Bead Jack. It actually works. All the other suggestions are worthy, and I've tried most of them, but I love my bead jack. Life is too short to fight with mounting stubborn tires. I need to find a way to carry it along on rides. It almost fits under a Brooks saddle, but how to secure it?
Old 07-14-19, 02:10 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Thumbs pushing on the bead in the middle and palms to the sides are no where near the valve, and with the extra slack you don't need to push that hard.
Well maybe my technique is a little different - I put my thumbs through the spokes, wrap my fingers over the tire, and pull the bead up from the other side. So the valve would be in the way and vulnerable if that's where I were doing it.
Old 07-14-19, 02:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
This was my point in criticizing my Bontrager Paradigm Elite rims and R3 tires in tubeless mode: with years of experience (many working in the bike shop) I can't get their darned tires into the rims. I can't imagine using tubeless (or Bontrager tires for that matter) if any attempt to fix a puncture in the field would be impossible.

And IIRC, you're not supposed to use a tire iron or tire lever with tubeless. So they're completely non field serviceable.
That's a bummer about Bontrager rims, but some other brands are getting it right. Depending on the model, my Pacenti rims have a 2mm or 3mm deep well between the bead seats, providing a fair amount of slack when mounting or dismounting. Also using Pacenti-branded tires I can mount or dismount without tools! I'd use these rims over old-school clincher rims with a flat and shallow bead seat any day.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-14-19, 05:42 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Also using Pacenti-branded tires I can mount or dismount without tools! I'd use these rims over old-school clincher rims with a flat and shallow bead seat any day.
Scott, what are the "Pacenti-branded tires"?
Old 07-14-19, 06:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Scott, what are the "Pacenti-branded tires"?
Pacenti Pari-Moto, made by Panaracer but spec'd by Kirk.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-15-19, 09:58 AM
trek330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
OP here.Got the Koolstop Tire Bead Jack and it was easy as pie!!Thanks for all the suggestions but this tool makes it easy!
Likes For trek330:
Old 07-15-19, 10:09 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Pacenti apparently only a 650b road tire, not 700c.

At least the Koolstop jack is small and light enough to go
into a reasonably sized under seat bag. All of my road tires have a tapered edge to the bead so I can imagine
some difficulty getting the jack edge to snag that bead, but once it did the jack might work. Still have to
watch for tube pinch and the jack, unlike a lever does not push the tube ahead of it. It does look a bit flimsy.
Still need levers to get the tire off the rim, jack no help there.

Last edited by sch; 07-15-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 11:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
OP here.Got the Koolstop Tire Bead Jack and it was easy as pie!!Thanks for all the suggestions but this tool makes it easy!
you gonna carry it on your bike?
Old 07-15-19, 07:31 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Got tired of stuck tire tools and pinch flats. So now, I use an old spray bottle filled with water. Partially inflate tube and spray water all over it. Spray water on tire bead. After that, everything just slips & slides together. Plastic tire tools with steel inside help too.
Old 07-15-19, 08:14 PM
trek330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you gonna carry it on your bike?
I've never needed one in 10 ears of cycling and these wheels are for sale so probably not.
Old 07-17-19, 02:24 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I've only used mine once, but it was nice to have it. I have broken more than my share of Pedro's levers. The new tire I mounted earlier in the week went on with just my hands.
Old 07-17-19, 02:35 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Now that I have a couple of wheelsets with tubeless tires, my old Koolstop tire bead jack has become a permanent resident in my Camelbak. I actually ride regular clincher tires w/tubes more often lately, but it's too much work to move the Koolstop in and out of my backpack just to save a few grams, plus I'm likely to forget to pack it someday when I actually need it, so I just leave it in.
Old 07-18-19, 05:57 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I broke two Pedro's levers today, trying to mount the second bead on an mtb tire. Then I remembered my bead jack. Whoosh. Done.
Old 07-18-19, 06:58 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Got tired of stuck tire tools and pinch flats. So now, I use an old spray bottle filled with water. Partially inflate tube and spray water all over it. Spray water on tire bead. After that, everything just slips & slides together. Plastic tire tools with steel inside help too.
I use exactly what I use on our granite counter-tops: 50:50 ratio of isopropyl alcohol and water, with a dash of Dawn dish soap. Its even easier with the Kool-Stop jack. Out on the road, I'd use some water, but honestly I've never had problems with any tire after the initial grunting to get it on.
Old 07-19-19, 08:26 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I've only used mine once, but it was nice to have it. I have broken more than my share of Pedro's levers. The new tire I mounted earlier in the week went on with just my hands.
Polly says, "Pedros is da best!"

Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 07-19-19, 09:06 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I broke two Pedro's levers today, trying to mount the second bead on an mtb tire. Then I remembered my bead jack. Whoosh. Done.
That touches on something I've wondered (worried) about -- is it possible to actually damage a rim with excessive force on a tire lever? I'm talking about typical plastic levers, not those huge steel Park ones, which can easily make at least cosmetic gouges in my experience (unfortunately). Sounds like the Pedro's will break before anything bad happens though (other than leaving you stranded on the road!).

The bead jacks seem to apply the force in a little more controlled way, or maybe that's just purely subjective because you have so much more leverage so everything feels easier and gentler. Also, because of the way they hook the bead from above, they only need to lift it the minimum amount required to get it over the rim wall. With a lever you need to lift the bead high enough to account for the thickness of the lever too, so that much more force is needed.