Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

My FSIR Spin 3.0

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

My FSIR Spin 3.0

Old 06-06-18, 03:16 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
My FSIR Spin 3.0

Wheelbase - 92cm
Effective top tube - 60cm

​​​​​.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-31-18 at 12:13 AM.
Likes For Abu Mahendra:
Old 06-06-18, 05:38 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Very cool Abu. How was the spin 5 for saddle to handlebar distance? At one time you thought it felt a little short.
Old 06-06-18, 06:06 AM
jogya03
half way commuter

Bikes: few folders, road bike, and MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
great choice.....thinking about buying the same bike to replace my beaten Hasa F2 and my DTMini all together. But after refurb my DTmini into 3 speed and few TLC on Hasa, I decided to keep both of them !!! , hope they will last bit longer before I pulled the trigger on another folder....
Old 06-06-18, 07:39 PM
rishardh

Bikes: Kestrel Talon; Giant NRS Air; Litespeed Tuscany; Burley Rivazza; Cerverlo RS; BMC SLX01; Litespeed C1r, Merckx Corsa 01, Schwinn Traveller, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice... and it comes with a bottle cage too
Old 06-06-18, 10:35 PM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very slick looking. Looks like it is built for just plain fun (hop on and go; that’s what I use my Cruis for). Are you going to strip it like your 5.0 project?
Old 06-06-18, 10:52 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by Roegmann
Very slick looking. Looks like it is built for just plain fun (hop on and go; that’s what I use my Cruis for). Are you going to strip it like your 5.0 project?
i plan to do a fair amount of stripping. Grips, brake levers, brakes, tubes, tires, saddle, BB, crankset, pedals, chain, RD, cogset will all go.

it has a luggage block so it will get a luggage truss and rack, and hope to tour with it. My ultra-light and fast CC tourer.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 06-06-18 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 07:03 AM
Roegmann

Bikes: Pacific Cycles GT, Downtube Mini 2015 version, LitePro Crius 14"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great. I think we'd all like to see the finished project (with a couple of pictures of the steps you had to do throw in). Good luck and happy pedaling.
Old 06-08-18, 07:02 AM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
i plan to do a fair amount of stripping. ..BB
..when it is done i would be very curious of which BB was installed. On my 2.0 was the ChinHaur CH-95, which is a known risk for health if rider is heavier than a child.
Greets from Berlin
Old 06-08-18, 01:05 PM
tdonline

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Abu, have the specs for the FSIR 3.0 changed much over the years? I googled and some of the pages go back 2-3 years and I wonder if info about the bike is accurate?
Old 06-10-18, 12:27 PM
tdonline

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
i don't know the answer to that question, sorry. This one comes with an 8-speed cogset, Microshift, and Narra components.
Good info there, thanks. Seems like not much as changed over the last couple of years then.
Old 06-18-18, 05:54 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by splithub
..when it is done i would be very curious of which BB was installed. On my 2.0 was the ChinHaur CH-95, which is a known risk for health if rider is heavier than a child.
Greets from Berlin
Googling 'ChinHaur CH-95' reveals the part is 10-spline ISIS. The BB on my FSIR a goode ole' square taper.

​​​​​​
Likes For Abu Mahendra:
Old 08-12-18, 06:12 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by tdonline
Abu, have the specs for the FSIR 3.0 changed much over the years? I googled and some of the pages go back 2-3 years and I wonder if info about the bike is accurate?
I have come across Spin 3.0 in three different specs. One, 8-speed freehub. Two, 7-speed freewheel. Three, 3-speed IGH with horizontal dropouts.
Old 08-24-18, 06:37 PM
Abu Mahendra

And then there were two...

They are blowing them out, pushing them out the door in Singapore. I could not resist the price of USD208 so i brought one home.

Likes For Abu Mahendra:
Old 08-24-18, 07:53 PM
keke

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
They are blowing them out, pushing them out the door in Singapore. I could not resist the price of USD208 so i brought one home.

Website?
Tx
Old 08-24-18, 07:56 PM
BCATC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Nice Spin 3. After some deliberation from our messages Abu, I decided to wait for Solorock to restock the Spin 5. If for some reason that doesn’t pan out, I have an order through Taobao for a Spin 3 frame for $85USD, not including shipping. The camouflage paint job was too convincing and I didn’t realize the abundance of Litepro parts on Taobao before...
Old 08-25-18, 12:13 AM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by keke
Website?
Tx
Inner City Rythm
Old 08-25-18, 01:19 AM
keke

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks
Old 08-25-18, 03:10 AM
BCATC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Unfortunately my conversation went dead with inner city rhythm and they preferred to sell to the locals than ship it to the US. If the purchase through an agent using Taobao doesn’t work out with the Spin 3 frame, I’ll then try for the Zephyr.
Old 08-27-18, 04:01 AM
Abu Mahendra

Took it to the bengkel to swap out a few parts. In the end i decided top stick with the stock components, save for the cogset, RD, shifter, pedals, sadel and grips. It's now got an SLX-level 11-36T cogset and shifter with Zee RD, sporting 22-72GI. I am liking the low cuz I plan to tour with it. Stay tuned for Tour-de-Bali 2018.

It weighs about 8.9kg. I reckon i can lose a good 250 grams once i swap in a hollowtech crankset. Schwalbe Marathon and Kenda KWest 16x1.75 are on order. The mechanic at the bengkel was surprised at the quality (double wall & sealed cartridge bearings) and weight of the wheelset.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-27-18 at 08:40 PM.
Likes For Abu Mahendra:
Old 08-27-18, 11:41 AM
minbikemaxfun

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow beautiful bike! Wish they sold these near where I live, so I could see them in person.
Old 08-27-18, 04:54 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by BikeLite
Very cool Abu. How was the spin 5 for saddle to handlebar distance? At one time you thought it felt a little short.
it's perfectly serviceable for touring or more relaxed riding as it allows for a more erect riding position. I was accustomed to the Dash's more spread forward position. Having said that, i wanna try out installing a stem that will provide a bit more reach. One of these jobs...
Old 08-28-18, 02:45 AM
BikeLite

I was going to try one of those extenders. Some were saying the handle post needed to be a T-Bar (one piece at top; no quick release) because the torque caused by the extender might be too much for the quick release top of the stock handle post. Before I bought one, I tried putting the seat back as far as possible, turning the handlebars a bit and lowering the handlebars. Those things put me closer to a mountain bike position that I was used to.

Let us know how it goes with that extender.
Old 09-01-18, 07:52 AM
BikeLite

Yes, that is what is recommended for a handlebar extension.
Old 09-01-18, 06:26 PM
Abu Mahendra

Riding Impressions
Wow, this thing is a hoot! Small wheels, short 92cm wheelbase and light weight (under 9kg - yes, you read that right, under 9kg pretty much stock) make for a very spritely ride. The somewhat puffy tires with their 35mm tall profile and moderate inflation pressure (45/65psi) do a commendable job at taking off the edge. As with my other 20"-wheel FSIR (Spin 5.0) the frame and handlepost feel solid, stiff, with no noticeable flex. The stock brakes are surprisingly good and strong.
Pedaling out of the saddle, the cockpit is just roomy enough to avoid knees hitting the handlebars. Taller (> 170cm) riders may wish to use a stem in order to push the handlebar forwards. Seatpost height is one notch, or 1cm above what i ride on the Spin 5.0. Notch 9 on the Spin 3.0. My torso is a little less erect/more supine on the Spin 3.0. All in all, once again, FSIR does not disappoint.
The above impressions are with the bike stock, save for the contact points (saddle, pedals, grips), and the transmission (shifter, cogset and RD), both of which I swapped out for cosmetic and function aims.
My one complaint - creaky seatpost
UPDATE - i may have solved the creaky seatpost bit. Turns out the seat tube wasn't perfectly round, but rather a bit oval shape at its very top where the seat clamp sits. Managed to push it into a circular shape.

Next steps
x Install a 58T hollowtech crankset to bring down weight and raise the top end.
x Install the more plump Kenda KWest 45-305 tires

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 09-03-18 at 05:52 AM.
Likes For Abu Mahendra:
Old 09-02-18, 03:53 PM
BikeLite

I've got the squeaky seatpost too. I will check what you did. I think Jur, in the past, may have recommended Boeshield T9 for the squeak.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.