Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Technium 440

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Technium 440

Old 08-29-18, 12:35 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Gran Prix,1984 DeBernardi Olympic, 1988 Schwinn Caliente

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Raleigh Technium 440

Hey! I was wondering
if anyone here knows any of the history of the Raleigh Technium Series. I have googled it, or tried to but can't really come up with a lot. There was a 400 440, 460 and 480, all road bikes,correct? Other than that and some links that brought me to this site on some individual purchases I can't find anything. What was the top of the line, what kind of features did they have, Components, when were they made etc? Anyone ?
Old 08-29-18, 12:47 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I only know what I have come across on forums. the 400 440 etc were in the middle of the years they were made. they started making them in 1986 if i recall correctly. ive only seen a bike though 1991 but might have been made though 1992. I have a 1990 technium prestige. they were an early aluminum bike with steel lugs bonded together with an epoxy. I've read a lot of opinions saying something to the effect that the bonding will fatigue and the frame is totaled but nothing confirming that besides anecdotes.

its a beater but it rides nice and I have fun riding it.

2018-08-29_01-46-26 by Joseph Watson, on Flickr
Old 08-29-18, 03:23 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Wow,that one is really nice. The one I posted the pic of is one I’m going to look at-$50. Thanks for sharing the pic and info. I like Raleigh road bikes as I usually feel more comfortable on them, less bunched up or stretched out. I knew of the unusual construction,the bonding of the steel and aluminum, which I think is cool and ahead of its time. I read somewhere it was thought that this happened when connected with Huffy however a former employee had chimed in and mentioned that it was not Huffy but another company whose name escapes me. I can’t find that post again though. Any idea of component quality, level?
Old 08-29-18, 06:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 908 Posts
Someone should chime in. There was also a Technium Pro and perhaps even a Team Pro version. They were affordable, decently outfitted, and unique, of course, with aluminum main tubes bonded to steel joints, etc.

Mine was a 440 model, close to that light blue one. Mine had DT shifters, though.

I hit a dog broadside at 20+mph and the bonds did not break. Just about everything else did. I sort of miss that bike.
Old 08-29-18, 08:38 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Someone should chime in. There was also a Technium Pro and perhaps even a Team Pro version. They were affordable, decently outfitted, and unique, of course, with aluminum main tubes bonded to steel joints, etc.

Mine was a 440 model, close to that light blue one. Mine had DT shifters, though.

I hit a dog broadside at 20+mph and the bonds did not break. Just about everything else did. I sort of miss that bike.
Robbie, thank you for the response. I have met a few people who have said that they "heard" that the bonds break and the bike will come apart due to weather / temperature conditions. However No one and I mean no one has any First hand knowledge of this. This one I'm going to look at on Friday looks like it needs some TLC but will make a nice companion bike to my 74 Gran Prix in Copper Green Metallic
Old 08-29-18, 08:40 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosponti
I only know what I have come across on forums. the 400 440 etc were in the middle of the years they were made. they started making them in 1986 if i recall correctly. ive only seen a bike though 1991 but might have been made though 1992. I have a 1990 technium prestige. they were an early aluminum bike with steel lugs bonded together with an epoxy. I've read a lot of opinions saying something to the effect that the bonding will fatigue and the frame is totaled but nothing confirming that besides anecdotes.

its a beater but it rides nice and I have fun riding it.

2018-08-29_01-46-26 by Joseph Watson, on Flickr
carlosponti - could you please tell me what upgrades you made to yours? I really like that seat and seatpost, and bar tape and..................! having fun riding is what it's all about
Old 08-29-18, 09:43 PM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I've come across some vintage Raleigh catalogs online while doing my own research after I inherited a 460 recently. You are right about the lack of information out there on these bikes. I just figured they aren't as popular to talk about.

Here's the 1986 catalog, which includes the 440, 460, and 480. The 440 pictured in the catalog is in the same blue metallic as yours. Check out the last couple pages for the component build sheet.
https://threespeedhub.com/wp-content/...g-1986-US1.pdf

My 460 that I recently overhauled for the clunker challenge:
Old 08-29-18, 09:55 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hey !Thank you for posting that. THese bikes are interesting and it's hard to get info on them. This helps. Do you still have yours?
Old 08-29-18, 10:30 PM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Yup, it's currently my neighborhood/casual rider and it's growing on me. I had my doubts about the bonded joints when my neighbor gave me the bike, but so far it seems like a solid rider from the little time I've had it. And good to know that the frame won't explode in a crash from @RobbieTunes 's comment above (despite his incident).
Old 08-30-18, 07:33 AM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Old 08-30-18, 07:37 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottD961
carlosponti - could you please tell me what upgrades you made to yours? I really like that seat and seatpost, and bar tape and..................! having fun riding is what it's all about
I mostly completely disassembled the bike it was in bad shape when I got it. Cleaned and Lubed everything. It came with mostly shimano 105 parts ie brakes and drive train. Not sure if it was original to the bike. the front derailleur was damaged beyond repair from them putting a top pull on a down pull cabling. I installed a new tourney because it was all I had money for at the time. I bought new cables and cable housing recabled the whole bike. The seatpost that came with it was a cheap steel job from a much cheaper bike and the seat was a giant mtb seat. I got a good deal on a seat from amazon and got a seatpost from the LBS. I rewrapped the bars the original tape was in tatters. Wish I had gone with a darker color on the bar tape white shows the dirt fast. It has new tires from when I took that picture. the gumwall tire is gone, went with a continental. has new tubes. the rear skewer was missing replaced it as well. It was a bike someone found at a garage sale for 5 bucks might have spent around 100 in total getting it back on the road. been a pretty good bike this was my first drop handle bar road bike. It took a bit getting used to riding on such a thin tire, it felt weird.
Old 08-30-18, 08:32 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Raleigh USA introduced their Technium frames in 1986. In the UK they were called Dyna-Tech. At the time, aluminum was becoming popular. However, there were two very diverse approaches. European brands like Alan and Vitus used adhesive bonded frames of conventional diameter tubing. These frame were resilient but to the extent where many considered them too flexy and inefficient. At the other end of the spectrum were the made in USA, TIG,welded, oversize frames of Cannondale and Klein. The frame were incredibly stiff, to the point where many riders considered them harsh and fatiguing. Raleigh envisioned a hybrid material frame that combined the best of both worlds and rode like a good steel frame. The Techniunm design used a Goldilocks approach to performance, aesthetics and economics.It was looking for the sweet spot between the Alan/Vitus and Cannondale/Klein extremes, that Raleigh reasoned would have maximum market appeal.

They started with the aluminum main triangle. Tubes were oversize, but only by 1/8".. This increased the stiffness but not to point of jarring fillings loose, while still providing an aesthetic that looked relatively normal. They wanted a something stronger than the common 6061 alloy and settled on heat treated 6013, which was 10% stronger but not weldable. Consequently, they settled on adhesive bonding, which resulted in the development of special, investment cast lugs. While the tooling cost for the lugs was high, the use of a common lug set on all Techium models would result in lower unit cost. There were further savings though the elimination of tube mitering and highly paid brazers. Adhesive bonding also meant that the tubes could be heat treated prior to assembly, alleviating the alignment issues that can occur with TIG welded frames that are heat treated after welding. For the stays, Raleigh chose CrMo steel. To obtain the necessary stiffness, aluminum would have been very oversize, detracting from the aesthetics.

The initial USA offerings included the three 4xx models previously mentioned. Sharing the same frame, different target prices were achieve though component and fork selection. In 1987 Raleigh USA took direct aim at the triathlon market, introducing the Technium Trinly Tri-Lite ,endorsed by 1982 and 1985 Ironman world champion Scott Tinley. Obviously, Raleigh had noticed the success that Centurion was reaping with their Dave Scott endorsed Ironman model. The celebrity endorsement appears to have paid off for Raleigh too, as the Technium Tri-Lite line was expanded to four models (Prestige,105, Comp and Pre) in 1988. Curiously, there was an unexplained shift to 6061-T8 alloy for the Tri-lite models. 1987 also the first Raleigh Technium ATB, The Peak. 1989 saw the high end models spec'd with Easton E9 main tubes.

The 1st Technium hybrid model, the Olympian CX, had it's debut in 1990. The follwing year introduced the first all steel Technium models, with the Competition (Reynolds 531) and Team (Reynolds 753). In 1993 Raleigh USA started importing the high end models from the UK's Special Products division. Notable among these was the SP1000 with titanium main tubes mated to Reynolds 753 stays and Reynolds 531 forks. The last year for which I've evidence of a Technium model is 1994.

For a comprehensive list of Technium models 1990-1992 ,see my list in post #1 of https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...m-technia.html
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-30-18, 12:51 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
carlosponti Thanks for the info Like your bike !
Old 08-30-18, 01:15 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
T-Mar. Thank you I checked the link and have been reading that info. A lot of good information in there
Old 08-31-18, 12:49 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Would everyone who posted in this thread be Ok with me Reposting some of this info in a Restoration of my Technium thread?
Old 09-01-18, 02:03 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
I can't remember Raleigh achieving any racing success with the Technium frames sufficient to spark interest with collectors. And I don't know how relatively heavy or light that they were, but I think they were reliable as Raleigh kept on making them. It was of some marketing benefit that they could substitute various tubing materials in virtually any combination due to the bonding process, but apparently they stopped short of ever using carbon tubes.

I have a Technium Team frameset (steel tubes with 753 steel main tubes) that I built up over 20 years ago and it rides well. It has an attractive decal set that has gold leaf setting it off over a pearl white. It has the distinction of being the lowest-priced bike offering a complete 74xx Dura Ace STI gruppo for just $1995 in 1991 or so, and I think that the seller I bought my new-looking frameset from had perhaps bought it for the value of it's parts, just as some riders did with Raleigh Pro's in the early 70's.
Old 09-01-18, 02:18 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
dddd, would love to see pictures when you can. Thank you for your info
Old 09-01-18, 06:39 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 471 Posts
The Techniums used 27" wheels in their inaugural year and in '87. In '88, they went to 700c (and the rear brake cable entered through the left side of the top of the headtube lug, when before, it entered through the right). This is an easy way to distinguish the earliest ones. I believe that in the first two years, the wheelbase (ie: chainstays) was longer and there were eyelets on the dropouts. Raleigh apparently steered the Technium from a sport/recreation style to a more competitive one. This evolution accelerated with the use of E9 and 531, respectively, and the transition to a 7-speed freewheel in 1990.
Old 09-02-18, 06:19 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
The Techniums used 27" wheels in their inaugural year and in '87. In '88, they went to 700c (and the rear brake cable entered through the left side of the top of the headtube lug, when before, it entered through the right). This is an easy way to distinguish the earliest ones. I believe that in the first two years, the wheelbase (ie: chainstays) was longer and there were eyelets on the dropouts. Raleigh apparently steered the Technium from a sport/recreation style to a more competitive one. This evolution accelerated with the use of E9 and 531, respectively, and the transition to a 7-speed freewheel in 1990.
Thank you for this bit of info. Mine has 27 inch wheels and the rear brake cable is routed through on the right side so I’m guessing , based on that , that this is up to a 1987 Bike. I want to upgrade all of the components and also see how lite I can keep it. BTW, what difference would there be between the 27 inch and 700c wheels?
Old 09-02-18, 09:21 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Hi Scott.

Yes, I see that you have eyelets on the dropouts, too, so that identifies it as either an '86 or an '87. I love my '89 and there is a photo I put up last night at

My Technium is 20 lbs after I did what you are planning: Upgrading it to all better and lighter components. The only non-upgraded part on my bike is the front derailleur, and you can't get much lighter than the standard Suntour XCM/Alpha. Do you mean difference in weight between 27" and 700c? Not considerable...only a few grams more for a 27", but it depends on the model of rim.
Since many 700c rims are more modern than 27" ones, they are lighter and stronger. I have been using the Sun Venus (from around year 2004), but they are getting hard to find, so I am planning on going to maybe DTSwiss. If you go through my list of components, it could give you some ideas for light ones for your Technium, or at least get you into the neighborhood, so you can look around. My only strong recommendation is to go to an aluminum fork and drop two pounds off your bike.
My Technium is a very fast and reliable bike. Made in U.S. was the clincher for me. Let us know what you decide. Paul

Last edited by 1989Pre; 09-02-18 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 10:44 AM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Hi Scott.

Yes, I see that you have eyelets on the dropouts, too, so that identifies it as either an '86 or an '87. I love my '89 and there is a photo I put up last night at

My Technium is 20 lbs after I did what you are planning: Upgrading it to all better and lighter components. The only non-upgraded part on my bike is the front derailleur, and you can't get much lighter than the standard Suntour XCM/Alpha. Do you mean difference in weight between 27" and 700c? Not considerable...only a few grams more for a 27", but it depends on the model of rim.
Since many 700c rims are more modern than 27" ones, they are lighter and stronger. I have been using the Sun Venus (from around year 2004), but they are getting hard to find, so I am planning on going to maybe DTSwiss. If you go through my list of components, it could give you some ideas for light ones for your Technium, or at least get you into the neighborhood, so you can look around. My only strong recommendation is to go to an aluminum fork and drop two pounds off your bike.
My Technium is a very fast and reliable bike. Made in U.S. was the clincher for me. Let us know what you decide. Paul

Hi Paul,
Thank you for the info. I looked into the Technium link you provided but could not find the list of parts you mentioned that you used to upgrade yours.I'll go back and check it again. I am going to modernize this bike, most of the components on this one, hell all, look like pretty average stuff and they are old to boot.Could you post a list or PM me one Please? Also am interested in the Aluminum fork you mentioned too. One more question on the 700c wheels, Are they bigger or smaller in Diameter that the 27 inchers?
Old 09-03-18, 01:36 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by dddd
I can't remember Raleigh achieving any racing success with the Technium frames sufficient to spark interest with collectors...
Yes and no. That was certainly a problem in the USA in the late 1980s, where Raleigh USA lost interest in competition almost as soon as the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics were over. Huffy acquired the USA license for the Raleigh brand in 1982 to take advantage of the marketing opportunities afforded by the games. They stocked the Levi's-Raleigh men's and women's teams with several medal hopefuls and even bought the rights to the title of "Official Manufacturer of Bicycles for the US National Team". This allowed them to put the members of the USA's road time trial and track team pursuit on Raleigh bicycles. However, interest waned after the games and by 1986, when the first Technium models hit the shops, there were no Raleigh sponsored teams in the USA.

However, it was a different story in the UK, where the Raleigh-Banana squad contested in the late 1980s. The peak was probably 1989, when Raleigh provided the bicycles to Laurent Fignon's Systeme-U team. That year, Fignon won Milan-San Remo, the Giro d'Italia, Grand Prix des Nations and infamously finished 2nd overall in the Tour de France. While the team often used steel frames, Dyna-Tech were available to them and were used in some races. Consequently, the Dyna-Tech appear to have prestige in Europe, particularly the UK.

In 1991 there was a resumption of interest in the USA, but on the ATB scene, as Raleigh and Tioga sponsored an ATB team headed by John Tomac, who won the 1991 XC World Championships on a Technium. Tomac would win one Norba DH championship and place 2nd in three more World Championships while riding for Raleigh, though I can't confirm how many were on a Technium. Regardless, because of Tomac's association, the ATB Technium seem to hold a higher reputation than the road models in the USA.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-03-18, 01:44 PM
T-Mar

... One more question on the 700c wheels, Are they bigger or smaller in Diameter that the 27 inchers?
700C rims have a bead seat diameter that is 8mm smaller than 27"(622mm vs. 630mm). Consequently, if you want to replace 27" wheels with 700C, you have to ensure that the brake pads can be lowered by at least 4mm. If not, you will have to replace the brake calipers with longer reach models.
Old 09-03-18, 04:19 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Hi Paul,
Thank you for the info. I looked into the Technium link you provided but could not find the list of parts you mentioned that you used to upgrade yours.I'll go back and check it again. I am going to modernize this bike, most of the components on this one, hell all, look like pretty average stuff and they are old to boot.Could you post a list or PM me one Please? Also am interested in the Aluminum fork you mentioned too. One more question on the 700c wheels, Are they bigger or smaller in Diameter that the 27 inchers?
Hi Scott, If you look at that post again, underneath the yellow Technium (the only all-yellow one), you will see my list of components. Yes, some stiffer wheels, lighter hubs and aluminum fork will go a long way toward giving you a performance boost. https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bi...-a-head-black/
Show Us Your Techniums! (Technium? Technia?)

Pacenti, Velocity, Sun/Ringle, Kinlin and H Plus Son offer strong, light, affordable rims. (Lower spoke count means less weight).

Kinesis is your best bet for aluminum forks, but their U.S. distribution is nil, so you have to go to a foreign website. Go over to Weight Weenies website and pick out the lightest stuff you can. It doesn't have to be really expensive...aluminum components will do fine.

As you know, the back of the Technium is steel, but i think it is worth it to have the ride characteristics that it affords. Let me know what you decide, because i am excited about Techniums, and especially souping them up. Paul
Old 09-03-18, 06:42 PM
ScottD961
Zeke

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
T-Mar, Paul, Thank you both so much. I really appreciate your help and info. I really like this frame and what Raleigh was trying to do at that time.
Paul I found the component list! Gonna get started tomorrow. Not sure If I’ll start a thread for it ,or just post it in the Technium thread where your bike is at
Likes For ScottD961:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.